Hi everyone!

Hello all. New here from Australia. Been detecting for about 20 yrs now as a hobby. I live in the Victorian Central Goldfields. Use a GPX5000.

Here's a pic of an 11g bit I got last week. I went back today for a couple of hours but didn't find its bigger brother. Drats, still good fun though trying.post-66415-0-49135400-1384764759_thumb.j

hey roo that looks like a piece I found at a patch that had been quite hammered

every time I find a nice piece it always has a little friend nearby.interested to know if its a new area because when I find a piece like that all the other gold has been uphill from it.another thing I have been doing lately is checking right up on top of the hill where it looks like it has come from.

Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah houghy, checked up, down even sideways. Strange spot though, think it might have been the left over from some serious ground movement way way back before a person ever walked there. It did have a little friend, little being the operative word, but none else.

Still, when you think of it how fortunate to walk onto a bit like that which was, apart from the midget bit, all alone! I found it with a N/F 12". I went back with an 18" and covered all I could, listening for those mellow dropping sounds but nah. It was a real mellow drop, I didn't think it was a target till I dug out about 8 inches of dirt and clay. Sounded like a soft ground noise. Got out today for a couple of hours and got 5 tiny bits for .97 of a g all up.

Still, gold is gold and I was happy to get the first bit, the other 4 were icing on top.

Cheers.

Roo:
Thats one heck of a nice nugget! :)
You guys in Aus. really come over some nice big ones.

Hey, you ever run into General Hurcules out there? Hes a hoot :)
Hope you get some more out of that area.

GL to ya.
Tom H.

hey roo if you haven't already read my post on here saying I had a couple of good months I think you should read it and maybe try what I do.i would love to see if works for someone else.it amazes me what I find and you wont miss a signal.don't be afraid to use a smaller coil either

Yeah read it Houghy and I agree with running it on the ground, when you can. Works good. Its a stand out when you do it and only just hear the target, as faint as! The coil off the ground wouldn't register it.

Rob, thanks for having me on board, I found a nice bit around 8 weeks ago in a spot where, well ill take a pic of it and post it a bit later on with how I found it, totally unexpected.