Weekend Beeping Equals a Few Gold Nuggets

• Admin

Hello All,

This weekend among some training we had scheduled my partner and I managed to do some beeping. After a full days of swinging the GPX 5000's, we both ended up with a equal amount of nuggets (3 each). My partner's gold is on the left side, mine is on the right. Partner got the biggest at 3.5 Dwt's right towards the end of the day. Some further investigating need to be done in this area at some point.

P.S. My partner is still wondering why I'm using the Minelab 11-inch Mono coil. I told him I could find just as many nuggets with a Minelab stock coil than he could with his aftermarket. :o

It's out there .....

Rob Allison

WTG Rob and Partner :)
Thats a nice bunch of gold for a days swing.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The Commander coils are nice, but very heavy compared to the aftermarket lightweight coils, such as the NF or Coiltek 14x9.

AZNuggetbob - I prefer Mono's as the GPX 5000 works best with them and they get the best depth and overall sensitivity to small gold.

Thanks for all the comments. We get skunked just like anymore else, especially prospecting new areas.

I've been working the Commander 11" mono round for a few months and like it for depth and sensitivity, but my old NF14 inch and 17 inch eliptical mono's are just as good or better when working brushy or rocky ground ... My all time fav is the E 14 NF Mono ... Pounds of gold over the past 10 years or so on both SD2100 and GPX4500 ...! ... Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

I used to love the small 8-inch Mono, even before the Commander series. However, the Minelab Commanders are great coils, they just seem to sell much slower due to the weight. The damn things are "bulletproof" when it comes to durability though.

I agree, you have kicked butt over the years with the NF 14-inch elliptical. Between the Coiltek Blitz and the NF Advantage, both are top selling coils for all around prospecting.

I planned on using my commander mono last year when my 4500 messed up. Turned out that the coil has a short or something in it which burned out stuff in the 4500. Is there anyone who checks and repairs damaged coils?

Bill

• Admin

Hey Bill,

I don't know anyone that checks them or repairs them beyond the Minelab Repair Center in Chicago. If you have someone around you that has used the Minelab's before, they might be able to ID a bad coil or at least allow you to swap with their coil and see if it acts the same as yours.

Thanks Rob. It was Darin at Minelab that found the bad coil. It seems that when I sent my 4500 in to find out why it wouldn't settle down or detect anything, he found parts burned out. He put an oil on the unit after replacing the board and it worked. He then found that I had also sent the my coil in so he put it on the unit and burned out parts on the board again. He told me that the coil was bad to not use it anymore. I just wondered if it could be fixed. I didn't ask Darin at the time.

Bill

Nice bit of gold there Rob. I like the Minelab coils too.,although in my area its to brushy to use the larger ones. I use the elliptical almost exclusively.

• Admin

Hey Bill,

Great to hear Minelab found out the coil was bad. I personally don't know anyone beyond Minelab that might repair it, but I doubt they would waste the time. If the coil was under warranty they would trash it and send you another new one. I'm sure there are some electronic guru's on here that might be able to repair or fix it.

Thanks Rabbit for the comments.

I know up to the GP 3000 they has a resistance of 0.50 ohm and 0.60 max On the newer ones GPX not sure but has to be close because this is what the after market coils are running at.. but I do know if you decide to try and fix that coil you better check before you plug in and crank it up. another thing I am amazed Minelab repair did not check that coil before they fryed the detector again. I do know they usually use their own coils for testing and repair regardless of of what you send them? especially if their aftermarket coils. AzNuggetBob

Thanks AznuggetBob. I won't take a chance on damaging my detector. Darin told me he checked my detector with their coil before he realized I had sent my coil. I'm sure glad I sent it. If I didn't I would have put it right back on and damaged it again.

Bill