First Gold Nugget with the Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector

• 1 month later...

I had the opportunity to use the SDC 2300 for a day in Nome, AK at the AKAU Gold Resort and I have to say it is one very nice detector. I didn’t find any gold that day working an old tailings pile but if it was there I’m fully confident I would have found it. Found the usually bird shot, nails, etc but the 2300 is an weather resistant and easy detector to use out of the box. I did find gold with the GPX 5K which I’ll write more about later. The BIG advantage with the SDC 2300 was the fact that’s water proof and that is a HUGE advantage especially in Nome. The typhoon that hit Japan hit Nome and it rain for 4 days straight. Since most of us had the $$ GPX we were forced to hood our detector with trash bags as you can see in one of the photos. BTW> Got a couple nice nuggets out this bank beside Anvil Creek. What was really cool after hunting tail piles in the rain, all you to do was dunk the SDC under the waterfall a couple of times to give a good rinse. The only design issue that could be better is that collapsing arm cuff that keeps on collapsing. No worries there though. That SDC is going on my list of can’t live without and when I make the return trip to AKAU/Alaska Gold Resorts next, an SDC is going with me for sure. The other photo is the finds of the owner of the SDC. Sweet detector!!

I'll post more on the AKAU trip later. This was the first time I've ever hunted gold in AK and it was an absolute blast!! Can't wait to go back next year.

post-29812-0-92891400-1407120477_thumb.j

post-29812-0-82977800-1407120636_thumb.j