gpx 4500 went swimming

well, the title says it all. I slipped while dredging with my platypus. I don't know how I didn't keep it above water, but its done now. I turned it off immediately, but it was making some weird sounds first. I fired it up today in the house and it sounded fine. So off to the claim I went to see. I guess the heat made the water inside vaporize, and it started showing on the lcd screen. I took some grainer nuggets with me, and it sounded off to them fine, but then it acted up. SO, Is there a poor soul who may have done this? I don't have a star type to get the bolts out, but I was thinking about taking the cover off and putting it in rice. My daughter did that for her cell phone, but who knows here. Anyway, it sucks bad, as I love this detector. I feel there couldn't be a worse scenario, because I leave for Alaska on the 18th for ten days.. Thanks for the help!

Many years ago I drop my detector in the water. When I pick it up water was coming out everywhere it could. The fist thing I done was disconnect the battery and the next was to take them out. I went to my car and turned the heat on and had the air blowing right up in the battery compartment. I left it like that for about 30 min. and then put it back together and that detector never gave me trouble. A friend has it now and that was over 40 years ago.

Chuck Anders

PS If your wondering what kind it was, well it was a White's 66 TR.

Been there done that. If you creek hunt, it happens.Just open the box and let it air dry. You can buy the star driver for a couple bucks at any hardware or auto supply store. The summer heat will dry it sure enough.

If you cant get it working again, I had a friend who dunked his, he called Minelab up, and they replaced the Board inside and got it working again for $500, beats buying a new one.

Dave

I'll try to answer you all here! First, yes I do have a backup detector, (t2) I found lots of nuggets with it, but nothing deep. I do like it a bunch... BUT its not my elephant gun, as some say the gpx is. I am going to the place I have dreamed about since I was a kid. At least I am still going! As for the box, ok I will open it. just wasn't sure! I am out here in elko now, so headed over to Walmart to get a tool set. I brought just the box with me. I haven't posted on here in a long time, but I appreciate the help. Chuck, great story! I know exactly which whites you are talking bout. My buddy has one that is in perfect condition, looks like new. You know in 07 when they took our dredging, I wanted to keep diving. I better try a AT PRO, if I am going to keep this up. This is a first for me in 7 years of detecting the creeks. Maybe I am getting old though. I have never fell so fast! As you all know, the creeks are very slick this year, and WARM! Dave, yessir, I hope this does it. Thank you I messaged you on fb, but it didn't go through for some reason! I read a post where you said that before. If it comes to that, cool. that would be a wash with the gold I found just before the dunk. just bad timing! thank you all, joe

Ok for now, it seems to be working fine! I am so happy I cant find the words. :) Anyway, I took off the one cover, filled it with rice, and replaced it. I then set it on the nose of the locomotive while I went across the blackrock desert today. When I got home, I dumped out the rice, and fired it up. I live in very hot ground, and it still found a 3gr nugget that I just threw out In the yard. (with tape around it) it sounds just like it should. So I am off to the claim at 8am for one last try. hope it works! Thank you all, I will report back!

• 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding that if you dunk it in fresh water it will come back after it dries out COMPLETELY. If you drop it in salt water .......... NOT good.

I think the difference is that fresh water once it evaporates leaves no residue, but after salt water evaporates the salt remains, salt+water on metal and electronics don't mix well as the salt speeds up the corrosive actions of water and even if you dried the water out you will never get the electronics to stay dry if any salt is present, salt is hygroscopic and attracts water/moisture, I would think if you acted fast enough and could immediately open the detector and flush it very well with fresh water and then get the water to completely evaporate the end results could be the same if no salt remained.

In either case turning off the detector as quickly as possible and removing the batteries is a must to avoid shorting out the electronics.IMHO

"In either case turning off the detector as quickly as possible and removing the batteries is a must to avoid shorting out the electronics.IMHO "

I agree Gold Seeker.

The worst thing you can do is have it on or turn it on wet. open it up and let it dry out for a few days.

I set mine in the sun if its not too hot. AzNuggetBob