A Little Alaska Gold

Less than I hoped for (spoiled, I know) but nice clean stuff, the kind I like to find. Back from my long Alaska trip with just over two ounces. Largest nugget 0.6 oz. Most found with the Minelab GPX 5000, maybe 1/3 oz with the new SDC 2300, three nuggets with the Garrett ATX, and one with the Fisher Gold Bug Pro. What got found with what is more an indication of what got used the most more than anything else. But from what I saw on this trip the SDC is now going to be my main unit going forward. The GPX will be more for cleanup after the SDC looking for deeper stuff it missed.

post-316-0-56886900-1408116968_thumb.jpg

I couldn't agree more on the SDC, its a great machine especially for Alaska. I tried the ATX up there and it worked like it was supposed to but that coil cover is a catch all for all the dirt and rocks. Making it more heavy than its supposed to be.

Hi Brent,

Many people seem to think of the SDC as a cleanup machine to be used after a GPX 5000. I see it the other way around. There are lots of small shallow patches left that are better suited to the SDC and that simply lack deeper, larger gold. Hit it hard with the SDC, and there is likely going to be little gold left for any other detectors. My Gold Bug 2 will hit a bit tinier gold and the GPX 5000 will hit larger gold deeper. But the SDC is like a little vacuum cleaner for most of what is left out there and so I am going to stop using anything else but the SDC for awhile and see how it plays out.

I like things simple so the SDC appeals to me. The GPX I have to "harness up" and decide on coil, settings, etc. SDC is just grab and go. My basic kit including rucksack and water is only 18 lbs for everything in the photo.

post-316-0-33080400-1408220775_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Steve,

Great post as always. Congrats on the recent success with the SDC 2300. I'm with you Steve, I'm going to use the SDC for a lot of prospecting this winter season. Once I locate a spot or patch, I will come back at some point and give the GPX 5000 a shot at it. I have a nice mid-sized Camelpack, hydration backpack that the SDC 2300 fits in. I can carry a good 100 ounces of water, the SDC 2300, other misc. gear and food all in one pack.

Hike in, set up and metal detect for gold. At the end of the day, break down, pack up and hike out! :o

P.S. Talked with Glenn a few days ago. We should get a hunt organized this winter with all of us. Maybe in a new areas and we can all prospect and explore in hopes of a new discovery.

P.S. Talked with Glenn a few days ago. We should get a hunt organized this winter with all of us. Maybe in a new areas and we can all prospect and explore in hopes of a new discovery.

I'm in. I am starting in high Sierras and heading to lower elevations and then south as the weather cools. I am heading up to Tahoe in the morning to give the SDC its first serious dunking looking for processed gold. Far cry from living in a tent at Chicken!

The SDC is a sweetie. Too bad the price is likely to keep it out of a lot of peoples reach.

• Admin

Hey Steve,

I agree, the SDC 2300 is a real winner. I was a bit skeptical at first and agree the price is keeping it out of many hands. I've had handfuls of customers wanting to wheel and deal, bargain and trade for the SDC. If I wanted to take gold in trade, I would probably have 3-4 pounds by now. I might have to consider the gold nugget market - buying/selling soon.

Looking forward to hunting with all you guys in the near future.