A quarter ounce of SDC gold from Nevada

Last week I got out to a spot in Northern Nevada that is known for spongy specimen gold. This is the type most PI detectors have some difficulty with. Stuff that is sparse enough gold wise can even be invisible to a PI. However, this is the kind of gold the SDC does really well with - and it doesn't have to be tiny gold either - some spongy, loose, hard to find specimen type gold even in larger sizes can show up poorly on many PI detectors. So I hunted this spot with my SDC 2300 which has been gone over time and time again with the GPX 5000, as well as high frequency VLFs like the GMT and the Fisher Gold Bug 2.

There were no trash targets at all because it had been so pounded, but right in the middle of the patch were these two specimens, both of spongy specimen gold. Both were about 6 inches deep. Total weight for the two is five pennyweight or a quarter ounce. Tested one of them on a TDI and it only responded weakly when touching the coil.

Hey Rob - could you expand the max files I can upload? I am basically to the point I cant post any pictures on your forum because I have almost exceeded my allowance. - thanks!

post-9-0-46821900-1414366057_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

Very nice finds!

I will be down to RP in the next week or so, hope to give my new SDC 2300 a spin on

some old patches.

Last time I was down there I unearthed a piece that I couldn't re find for some reason.

I will run it by the SDC 2300 and try to determine if that machine will be able to see it.

Hope the weather holds. Snow has run me out of there before, it could again, I hope not!

Gary/Largo

• Admin

Hey Reno Chris,

I'm trying to figure out how to allow members to have more space for pictures. I don't mess with the forum much anymore. I will see what I can come up with, but in the meantime, you can go under your settings when you're logged in and delete some of your oldest pictures to give you more space.

Congrats on the recent pieces. I found another 20 small nuggets today with the SDC. Found a small patch on a ridge, all small gold so far, but excited to get back.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

You mentioned using the TDI on those nuggets. I bought a TDI pro last year and have been trying to learn it. Are the coils that it comes with (I have the 8" and 12") any good or is there something better that I could be using. It seems that when I hook up the smaller coil, it gets harder to GB or it runs noisier than the 12". Thanks

Leo