Nothing is simple anymore when it comes to detectors

When I first started detecting in 65 you had 3 to 4 major brands to pick from. You could buy kits if you wanted to build your own. The only one I remember that said it was better than others was D-Tex. The reasoning behind this was because it could detect paper money. Yes you heard right and a friend fall for it and got it.

My first coin detector was a White's BFO them a 66 TR and last was the Eagle 2. The only other was a Minelab SE but I done a trade on a gold PI detector. Well my Eagle is not working as good like it did at one time and where should I go from here.

The trouble now is you have so many detectors coming on the market from all over the world. Like way back when you can't go test it before you buy. Oh we do have video's one can look at and they go on forever showing the fine points of their detector.

I'm sure you have come to the conclusion that I want to buy but what to buy. What I need now is one to make up for my short coming being older than the first I got. I'd like one with a big flat screen to see better. I also need one with lots of volume because I don't hear so good anymore.

The funny thing with me is I got more gold detector than I need but I want only one coin detector. I may need to change my thinking about coin detectors and buy more than one. I do have other walls to be held up.

I will listen to anyone who would like to post their opinion on the subject. I know posting here should be about gold detectors but now you have what I call is a half breed. You see more and more coming out that is great on coins and gold. Being I'm a lover of gold detectors why not a half & half.

Thanks.

Chuck Anders

Chuck, You can check out this link. Steve lists several detectors that are great on coins and gold both.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

I have a Minelab X-Terra 705 and a Fisher Gold Bug Pro. Both do well on coins using the 10" elliptical coils.

Chuck I have a "secret" weapon I am just beginning to use,...........more about it soon.
Today was my 1st outing with it in a really trashassed site I mean you cant take 1 swing without at least 10 signals during the sweep.
Well I managed to pull out a 1960 D Lincoln for just a couple hours of foolin around.
Along with the numerous bits of lead, bullet casings, piston rod, old light bulb base, old mess cookin pot, real old pull tabs, bottle cap, hobnail tack etc.
My next test is this weekend in the goldfields.
I have never purchased a "new" detector in my life, but this is an exception to the rule. Well actually it was used once by somebody else before I bought it.
HHHUUUUMMMMMMM :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

post-417-0-92715700-1428529978_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-19761500-1428530018_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim

I've already got the Gold Bug Pro and it's a great detector but I don't have the other coil.

Now Frank I'm in a holding pattern waiting for you to get back with me on what detector you have.

Jim the trouble with my Pro is a friend said he may want it and I gave a price and I'm not one to back out on a deal.

Thanks for posting.

Chuck Anders

Chuck you may wish to wait a little on a purchase if you are not in any big rush. I think by the end of this summer there will be a number of options come forward after some field tests thru the summer. I have a Deus on the way up (thanks to Rob) to the Yukon here and will be testing it as soon as the ground thaws on both coins and gold. I'm expecting it to be a wonderful coin machine and am also keen to see how it manages on rubish filled gold fields. We will see!

Good Luck on you hunt. cheers yukonlewis

Hi Strick

Oh I know the 3030 Minelab is a great detector. I have to look at the detectors weight before I buy any. I'm like a battery I can get more run time if it's not too heavy of a load. One thing I don't need is a water proof one being I got that covered .

I'm reading over Steve H. opinion on some detectors and what he says I'm sure it's a honest one. Now I want to hear from anyone telling me about the detector they use. Nothing like show and tell.

Chuck Anders

Hi Chuck,

I love my Fisher F-75 SE, upgraded DST. It's really light, great depth, and able to adjust tones, for my hearing. stock 11" E, great coil, have 5" Round, and 6" E Concentric coil, and probably buy the 10" E coil.

Since I've been using the my F-75, primary coil is the 11" E dd, and would like to get the 10" E dd coil, which is a solid coil. Great depth in Disc/All Metal, long battery life, and well balenced, under 3 pounds.

Take care, Ed

Hi Ed

I'm like you about tones. Some tones just don't work for me. If it gets to the same level as my wife then I don't hear it anymore. I will take a look at the F75. I'm open to any ones findings with the detector they use now. This helps on not buying one they you really didn't want but found out too late.

Thanks !

Chuck Anders

Well I can say that I have not regretted buying a ctx 3030. I do not go diving with it but hunt in waist deep water all the time. It's nice to be able to rinse it off with the garden hose after a dirty day of detecting. It is perfectly balanced with the stock coil and crazy light with the small coil. It is nose heavy with the large coil. I have all three. I have found lots of cool things with it in the 6 months that I have owned it. Gold, silver, relics. There is really nothing else to say that has not already been said on all the forums about the 3030. If you have any specific questions about it PM me.

strick

Strick

I believe everything you say about the 3030 and I just love the looks of it too. I'm at the crossroad do I want to put that much money in a coin detector. I have lots of money invested in gold detectors but coin hunting is just not my first love anymore. Now for over thirty years that's all I done was coin hunt. When I started nugget hunting I just gave up on the other. If I was like a friend in Ok. that just found a 5 dollar gold 1880 s coin that could bring me back to coin hunting again. As you see it's all about gold.

Thanks for your reply

Chuck Anders

PS In battle of Little Big Horn , Air Force , Senior , Bull shooter and I just love the Minelab's that I've had over the years. If all of this will add up to one big discount.. Got the SDC2300 but now want the 7000 but short of change for a coin detector.

Like I said about a friend on guns. If I had the 7000 i'D NEVER WANT ANOTHER DETECTOR AGAIN. Now many ways can you spell Bull ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck, here's my best find with the F-75, with stock coil, all metal. Found Jan. 25,2015.post-761-0-55225700-1430076043_thumb.jpgpost-761-0-32639500-1430076114_thumb.jpg

Hey Big Ed

I've been looking at the Fisher 75 STD and I've gone over I think every detector on the market. Time is on my side and I want to be sure on this one before I buy.

Thanks for your post and the pictures. Nothing like show and tell to say more about your detector. I know Steve H. is a big fan of your detector and not shy saying it.

Chuck Anders