Doc's Gold Screamer Brand Heavy Duty Coil Cover GPZ

If you are like me you have already discovered that within 5 to 6 trips, you will wear out the coil cover for your GPZ7000; especially if you are a ground scrubber like I am. I want my coil flat on the ground. Some people prefer to hover it above the ground, which is fine, but I think you may miss little gold.

Any way, I think in the interest of keeping the coil lite weight Minelab made the cover extrememly lite and thin. However, for us hard core prospectors, we are going to burn right through these covers. If you have not had the cover off of your coil yet you will find that the material is sort of a rubberized plastic. Reminds me of a Tupperware lid.

And, the retail price on the Minelab coil cover s $62.

If you use the detector infrequently, do not scrub the ground, perhaps are using the machine for relics, and want the lightest weight cover available, the Minelab cover is for sure the coil cover you want.

HOWEVER, if you want something more durable, I contracted with Miner John Designs, to make:

Doc's Gold Screamer Brand Professional ZED COIL COVER

This is an extremely durable coil cover. This is made of the same plastic that we have been used to for other coil covers. It is extrememly durable, and I am estimating will outlast the Minelab cover at least 3 to 1. The fit is precise and very secure.

Unlike the Minelab stock cover these covers will be $49.99.

I will have them in stock in about a week and Rob will have them in stock as well so get your orders in now. Intitially the supplies will be limited until we get up to speed.

A question for all of you. Do you care if the cover is made in Black, or would you prefer it be made in White? Or does it make any difference?

To give you an idea of the difference in the construction of the two coil covers I put the same kind of rubber band around each coil cover. The Minelab GPZ7000 cover bends in half because it is so light weight. Doc's Gold Screamer Brand Professional Zed Cover is rigid, and does not succumb to the force of a common rubber band.

I know this is something that you have been wanting, so I jumped on it and had something designed. Miner John, from Razorback Coils did an amazing job. Thank you MJ.

Doc

post-16-0-67428200-1430845131_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-95382900-1430845128_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-23954900-1430845130_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-55321600-1430845127_thumb.jpg

I'm a little confused, is this the Miner John Designs cover that's for sale already or are you going to be making your own, Doc? Maybe in white?

I asked Miner John to design this coil cover for me. We reached an agreement that he would sell them as well. I told him I wanted them in white but he had a lot of black plactic available. So I told him we would use that up first and then see if the guys preferred white. If so we would do them in white.

Doc

• Admin

Great info Doc. I'm not sure the color will be a big issue, but the protection is. I can live with a Black cover knowing I'm not wearing a small hole in a $500+ dollar searchcoil. It only takes a small pin sized hole to allow moisture to enter and the coil is a done deal. Once moisture enters a coil, for the most part they get crazy noisy!

Look forward to having the coil covers in stock and protecting my $10,000 investment. ;)

• 2 years later...

I alwasy compliment Rob's fast shipping and recommend him to others for detecting related purchases but this is off the hook... Ordered it 4 hours ago, just received a text message shipping notification...

Far out....

Thanks Rob and Dawn.

Jen

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

These are a must have in Arizona if you own a GPZ, the stock covers are made of soft Tupperware plasticĀ :wacko:

Agreed, mine arrived yesterday, thx Rob. In Phoenix today for meetings but I'll be back in Gold Basin in 4 hours and will be putting it to the rest.

JenĀ 

Make sure you line it up right before you snap it on because its a tight fit! There was also a little issue with some of the early coil covers because the logo sticker inside was made of foil. If yours has one of those little stickers make sure to peel it off so it doesn't set your detector off.

Also if you need to remove the coil cover to clean out dirt or anything use a couple butter knives to start prying it off and kinda work your way around the cover to pop it off. Like I said it's tight.

When I sent my first GPZ back to Minelab for a warranty replacement I forgot to pop my Doc's coil cover off. They couldn't get it off so they sent me my new GPZ and they old coil back with the cover still on it!

Got about $100 for the old coil on eBay that someone in Arizona bought from me. No clue what they wanted to do with it, maybe take it apart and try to make a GPX/Z hybrid?