Minelab SD 2000, any good?

Just curious what is thought of this old machine? I believe they came out in the mid-90's, and actually went quite deep. I am looking for a PI machine to compliment my GMT, and have considered a GP Extreme as well. But budget is a concern, so a SD 2000 should be cheaper than a GP I'd imagine. I've scoured the net looking for one, but they seem to be near impossible to find.

Jared

• Admin

Hey Jared,

In my opinion, I would suggest trying to get in on some of these new bundles right now before Christmas if possible. You can get a top of the line Minelab GPX 4500 for $2699.00. Ya, this might be a bit more than your budget, but well worth it since this unit will go back to the normal MAP after Christmas.

If you search hard enough, you will find a used SD or GP series, but you're talking from $800 - $1500 depending on unit, condition and accessories. Something to seriously consider is the fact none of these series can be worked on anymore from Minelab or a Minelab Contact Company. The parts are pretty much obsolete. The unit could last forever, or burn up the next flip of a switch.

For the prices now on some of the newer units and the 3 year warranty, I would seriously consider that route.

• 3 months later...

I'd Have to agree Rob.  Ive found my share with the 2000 but the newer Minelab detectors are a lot better. especially on smaller gold too. and there's a lot more smaller gold than larger out there, and finding some is better than none. AzNuggetBob