sdc 2300 battery life.

I just bought a sdc2300 I took it out going over an area I have flogged to death with my gpx. I detected about a dozen small pieces mainly shot and lead no gold. I was pleased that I was able to find this rubbish it showed it definitely out performed my other detector on small targets. After about four hours of detecting my battery alarm went off batteries flat. They were fully charged when I started. I was disappointed that it only lasted such a short time. Does anyone else have this problem with their machine? I have seen some batteries on ebay 9500ma they are rechargeable nmhi . Has anyone tried them?

I always used the 6000mAh spare batteries I got with my SDC that Rob included with the package.

These were higher capacity than the 5000mAh(?) stock batteries it came with. I never even unwrapped those.

I would usually get about 8 hours runtime with the 6000mAh batteries.

Pick up a spare set and take them with you to the field, I don't think they're very expensive.

Be interested in seeing what the performance of those 9500 and 10,000 mah batteries on Ebay would be like.

One thing you should do is put a single wrap of electrical tape around the battery. NiMh batteries are just a little smaller than regular alkaline batteries and they sometimes rattle inside and lose connection. The other thing you can do is buy some heat shrink tubing a little larger than the battery cut a piece about 1.5 to 2 inches long. Slide it on the battery and hit it with a heat gun to shrink it tightly around the battery.

Doc

I put batteries back on charge 1 hr later the charger indicate fully charged all green lights. I took batteries out put them in another charger. This charger indicated batteries only one quarter charged. They have been charged now for four hours and showing three quarter charged. So the charger supplied with detector is faulty looks like I will have to get onto minelab. Oh well.

I have heard of one other charger being bad and Minelab replaced it.

I've never had my batteries run out that came with the unit.  I have seen where they can be fully charged and then turn on the charger the next day or less and it will charge up to an hour more before it shows green.

Often times I am moving from one place to another in my car.  As soon as I do this I put all my batteries on a charger if only for 20-30 minutes until the next stop.

• Admin

Hey Neilo,

Sounds like you troubleshooted it to the charger.  I have heard of a couple of bad ones, but not real common by any means. 

Like a few guys mentioned, the batteries that come stock are ok, but the aftermarket ones I sell or potentially the ones you mentioned will be much better and last a few m ore hours.  Always nice to have an extra set of batteries, even some cheap Costco "C" Batteries as backups when something goes wrong.  

Wishing you much success with the Minelab SDC 2300.