what are you missing gpz

This past weekend I participated in a test with some tough spongee New Mexico gold. i tested with the same guy from NM a few years ago using my GPX5000 and 8" commander mono round coil and the solid Nugget Finder 14" elliptical mono coil. The GPX could not hear it except when it was sitting right on top of the coil on both the 8" and the 14". That was then ... this test was to see if the GPZ could hear the nuggets. Yup they were heard and depending on the size of the nugget in air tests on a roughly 4gram size nugget could be heard about 12-14" from the coil. We tried some smaller nuggets of spongy gold down to my estimate size of .5gram ... left my scale at home ... heard it load and clear at about 6" and very faint bu load enough to have stopped me at 9-10". That was very encouraging to my friend from NM. Just for kicks I wanted to try the SDC2300 ... st at sensitivity of 3 which is the number I use most when hunting ...on the same pieces. It screamed on the 4gram piece at 12" ... made me happy! The little piece was loud and clear at 6" just like the GPZ7000. That made my day. I don't think there is any gold now that I have tried to hear with the SDC2300 that it has failed to hear. The end result for me was that the SDC2300 performed very well on the spongy yellow with a very SLIGHT edge given to the GPZ on the nuggets tested. Because the earlier tests I have done on tiny solid gold nugget or nuglets as I call them because of their extreme small size I need to have a SDC2300 detector ... and now that I know the GPZ7000 will hear the larger spongy gold and solid nuggets at extreme depths I need it as well. I still have my GPX5000 and will continue to keep it as well due to the vast number of coils available to suit the areas I hunt and the limitations of ground coverage of the small coil on the super sensitive SDC2300. If I had to limit my arsenal to just 2 detectors the SDC2300 and the GPZ7000 would be it ... but I also own the GPX5000 and 12 assorted coils ... I will keep it too! Now all I need is to spend more time out in the field! That starts in December when I get back from my NH-ME deer hunts during the whole month of November. So much to do ... So little time to do it all!!!! LOL!

Mike F

Tortuga if you are asking me ... no I have never hunted gold in NM. Just so happened that my friend is from NM and he has been finding a lot of spongy(also called crystalline) gold ... it is beautiful stuff but hard to detect with some of the older equipment. The SDC2300 really screamed on the stuff!

Mike F

The bum deal with owning a 7000, when out prospecting, is being stuck with only the  big coil. I used to just toss an extra small coil in the backpack when using the GPX, but now I have to bring another whole detector to get that small coil. At least the 2300 folds up nicely in the pack.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2016 at 3:30 PM, Cowkiller said:

Andy the 7k is louder for sure... imagine a gb2 on steroids... my 2 cents. 

Think I'll wait until they do a few upgrades and improvements,and develop a quieter less problematic gpz 8000 I am with Andyy...cant stand the constant noise on a detector. With the new Evo coil Iam digging deeper for smaller bits....   .07 gram  hard red clay 3 inches ! Looking forward to the gpz 8000.:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Geez I thought it was loud before!  The 19". Is a whole new type of what's that noise!!  Love the 19, even though it's a little more noisy I love the sensetivity and the depth. 

Note to self " carry a shovel and big pick. Mark a few good targets then go dig the rest of the day."

I had to crank the sensetivity (forgot to say that in the last post) and see what I'd find. I dug lead shot at a foot.  I love the fact that the 19" way more quiet  with same settings as the 14" also. I ran it on kill most of the day. And did find this little beauty 22" down on its end and it was a slight whisper. 

IMG_20170102_125201254_HDR.jpg

Thanks Rob. It is a beast. And I got so lucky. I had a friend that ordered two at the same time and I got one.  I think the worst is that you try to go all day like with the 14. The reality is that's not possible. You need a few more breaks during the day. I've also found that the corners in the front and the rear to ether side of the rubber bumpers catch grass. This makes it harder to swing all day too.

I did go out and play with it in an old stomping ground that I've got. After eight hours of swinging that long and bringing home two pounds of trash. I did find 3.8 dwt in three nuggets.  The smallest one I dug up at 32 inches and had the sensetivity at 20 in high yield and normal soil. After the first thirty minutes I changed from auto ground balance to manual. It got a bit quieter. With it cranked up like that a slow swing and it was unreal how deep it went. 

Love my Minelab. 

John

That is amazing depth on a 2 or three gram nugget ( I converted from pennyweight)...I don't suppose you filmed that dig.

How is the pinpointing with the 19 inch...

I don't know if I could enjoy digging even one hole that deep unless the nuggets were way bigger...not that I would throw one back, haha

fred

11 hours ago, fredm said:

That is amazing depth on a 2 or three gram nugget ( I converted from pennyweight)...I don't suppose you filmed that dig.

How is the pinpointing with the 19 inch...

I don't know if I could enjoy digging even one hole that deep unless the nuggets were way bigger...not that I would throw one back, haha

fred

Fred,

I would have to say that I've not been able to pinpoint with super accuracy   with the 19. I played with it today again and got great results shallow but then try fitting 19" of a coil into a hole and then be able to wiggle a bit. It's been my experience that a shovel close by is the best for the soil I have. I use markers or the like to mark a spot after about eight or so I'll go back and dig them all. It just works better for me that way. 

I do have an issue with grass catching g the edges and the rubber bumpers on ether end of the coil. I will be figuring out something to stop that. And the covers are so thin like the 14 covers were.  

Last but not least, I don't film anything where I'm at. I don't want to give up any land marks. I will film when I first d something that looks multi ounce though. I just haven't had that luxury just yet.

John

On 15/01/2017 at 4:29 AM, Whitebutler said:

I did find 3.8 dwt in three nuggets.  The smallest one I dug up at 32 inches and had the sensetivity at 20 in high yield and normal soil.

There must be something wrong with mine then, as it can't hit a 5 grammer at 20" in neutral ground.

32 inches? Are you sure that's not a typo? The smallest of the three nuggets must have been well below 2 grams.

9 hours ago, Gogmeister said:

There must be something wrong with mine then, as it can't hit a 5 grammer at 20" in neutral ground.

32 inches? Are you sure that's not a typo? The smallest of the three nuggets must have been well below 2 grams.

Yes I'm positive that's not a typo. It took me almost 30 minutes to get deep enough and the ground water was running at the 28" level. Or that's where it was sitting. I had to go the full length of my coil almost twice to reach a screamer. Then sifting through the muck it was there.

Now, I have to say that I hate digging in the mud and slime. I do enjoy a great payday. And even a bad day detecting is better than a good day doing much else.