Big Deep Gold Nugget/Specimen found with a GPZ 7000

• Admin

Hello All,

I found this piece earlier this Summer season.  Wanted to make sure I cleaned out the area pretty good before someone got word of the area.  This piece was found at almost 3 foot deep.  Took well over an hour to dig out.  Found with a Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector.  

• Admin

Hello All,

I didn't mean to "tease" anyone on this video.  I actually shown the piece some time ago I believe on the forums.  The video I finally got around to uploading.  The prize find was a specimen, which weighted 6.8 ounces.  The specific gravity test showed 4.2 - 4.4 ounces of gold.  I have found a lot of specimens over the year, nothing this heavy for the size.  The moment I recovered the specimens from the crevice, I thought it was solid due to the weight.  Here is a shot of the specimen right after we found it and cleaned with water.  

6.8specimen.jpg

Damn, Rob, that's an amazing chunk, but what's the best way, in your opinion, to get the value out of it? ... Dolly, smelt and pour? ... Slab? ... Seek collectors? ... Interesting challenge on on a beautiful  but rough specie!

Cheers, Unc

It's always neat to hear how much gold based on the SG test is in specimens. You sure wouldn't assume there was 4oz in there at first glance. Congrats on one heck of a speci!

23 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Damn, Rob, that's an amazing chunk, but what's the best way, in your opinion, to get the value out of it? ... Dolly, smelt and pour? ... Slab? ... Seek collectors? ... Interesting challenge on on a beautiful  but rough specie!

Cheers, Unc

Unless you're a full-timer I'd keep it just the way it is as a beautiful specimen.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Uncle Ron - The piece actually took forever to clean, as it was buried in the ancient caliche gravels forever.  I let it soak in CLR for a day or so, then ran it in my Ultrasonic with gold cleaner to get it somewhat cleaned.  I left the peice just as it was.  The piece is now gone, so the new owner can do whatever with it. 

Fred - Ya, I know.  I enjoy it though! :P

Thanks everyone else for the comments.  Always nice to find a good specimen or nugget as they are getting much tough to find.  

• 2 weeks later...