17x13 Evo ..

Hey Rob and all......,

Just got back after 4 hours of hitting a patch or two. What I was pleasantly surprised with was how lightweight it was, I expected it to be much heavier. I do like the tapered edge  as it slides smooth on the surface and grasses coming up after the few rains we had. I did notice more ground noise  in areas with heavy clay and medium mineralization. I dug a few fathom sounds which ended up just being the ground. In other areas without the clays it ran very smooth and no false signals.  I hit a few targets that I missed with the other coils that I would contribute to the new  Evo coil , seemed it just pulled that target out, I could have easily missed it if I were not listening but the target was giving a nice mellow deep signal on both left and right sweeps, after a few inches I was sure I was on a target and not ground noise. The signal was sharp and not so broad as heavy mineralized ground noise can be. I went to another location and worked the bank of a small creek and some higher benches right above it. The time was 12 o'clock noon and this is when I wanted to stop as its Thanksgiving, but...... lol I was not satisfied going home without some gold and new coil !! So as I was working the bank which by the way I scanned before in the past I got this nice solid hit left and right very clear, so I am thinking Crap another .22 cal bullet..you know that sound I am sure. Well luckily it ended up being a nice 2.31 gram placer nugget. I am very happy with the coil, for me its the perfect size and really is not that heavy for everyday use. I think it handles the ground very well, I just need more time on it to dig more targets and gold to really have a better idea what it can do. This nugget I found today I more than likely would have gotten it with another coil if I got the coil over the target, but I got the Evo over it this time. 

Evo first Nugget.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rob and all.......

So I have been getting used to this new Evo coil...went out yesterday and scored 3 little bits at very good depth and in heavy mineralized soil. This little spot I hit with all the coils in my arsenal. From the small sadie, to the 20" N.F mono and everything in between. The ground was silent prior to the Evo test. I set my settings at Rx 13, stab at 6, very slow speed and in enhanced mode. The key was to move the coil very, very slow ..the smaller 2 both came in at .19 grams and the larger at 3 O'clock at .23 grams. The larger of the 3 was down at about 6 inches, the smaller two were down around 4 inches in red clay. 

evo 3.jpg

evo 1.jpg

evo 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, AuWanderer said:

Hey Jen,

You still using the GPX or did you abandon it to the ZED? If you're using the ZED, how do you like it and has it been good to you with some gold finds?

Hi Wanderer..... every time I go to Gold Basin, I drag both the 5000 and the GPZ with me, the 5000 with the Evo above.... every time the Zed gets tossed back into the truck due to inability to get a smooth threshold (not a ground balance issue) just non stop EMI sound, despite countless auto and manual tune settings.... I've dug more "oh my gawd that's a nugget" loud as, signals with that Zed at huge depth and physical exhaustion only to have the signal disappear, what sounds like normal ground noise and is easy to know not to dig too deep for on the 5000 sounds like a target, bright till you hear a foot or so down then dissaoears. The thing makes the slightest bit of ground noise sound like a target... the EMI may be the non stop RF noise from the countless Grand Canyon tour helicopters that fly overhead but my 5000 can at least be tuned out in timings to eliminate that, with the VERY limited options on the Zed for timings, it goes back in the truck every time, unusable.

To be fair to it, I may give it another go in Johnnie district or someplace with less air traffic..... but if it's suppose to be noisier cus it's more sensitive, I can't get past the feeling I'm missing targets so maybe it's psychological. It took me a while to be able to have trust/faith in my 5000 and when I did, it was a great day, gold started jumping out of the ground it seemed, do I trust the Zed, no way..... 

It finds gold, I've found some with it, I've also found 1cm long staples at ridiculous depth.... 

At this point, the Zed is in the closet where it will stay.... I hated the Zed when I used it a few times in Australia, I wasn't impressed when I saw Doc use his and my feelings haven't changed.

My 5000 with Evo is my true love and I don't see that changing any time soon...

Jen

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 1

Yeah, its what holds me back to upgrading. I for one do not like a  a noisy detector for fear of not hearing the nuggets. It seems there are just too many little aggravating issues with it. I like a smooth threshold when hunting..and with the gpx and all its timings it's simple to tweak and reduce the EMI or reduce the ground noise. Glad to hear you are hitting some good spots...the 5000 with a killer Evo is hard to beat!! Let's hope Minelab is listening and on the next ZED 2.0 it will be a bit more user friendly and the detector performs without having to listen to noise...just seems more than a few ZED owners/operators have the same opinion of the zed....anyhow.....good luck out there...

Fred

• Like 1

Jen ... What are you using for Rx Gain(Sensativity) on the ZED. One thing for sure on that machine you don't need high numbers. Rarely do I have it above 8 and most times around 4 or 5. Last time I was in GB I was using 4. ... AND finding plenty of targets including gold at depth.

Mike F

On 5/11/2017 at 4:57 PM, Mike Furness said:

Jen ... What are you using for Rx Gain(Sensativity) on the ZED. One thing for sure on that machine you don't need high numbers. Rarely do I have it above 8 and most times around 4 or 5. Last time I was in GB I was using 4. ... AND finding plenty of targets including gold at depth.

Mike F

Say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUTTTT???? 4???? 5???? Well that may be part of my problem... You know, the first thing I noticed on the Z was the lack of the little FP icons for factory preset and I assumed that when Minelab set that the factory preset was a good starting point in their videos, they also meant the gain.. I'm pretty sure after the intial settings resets I've done, I've left the gain at what it reset to and that's been about 9 or 10... I've NEVER had it below 8..... back to Gold Basin tomorrow I reckon.. good thing I live so close... and to think, I just resigned from my company and was planning on moving to Phoenix... hmmmm having GP so close is kinda handy after all...

4 or 5 eh? wow.. I wonder why the factory preset is so damn high...

Thanks for the heads up Mike, I never would have thought to crank it down that low. I usually run the 5000 around 8 or 9 with the big Evo, I find I can turn it down a bit and that helps on the EMI.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Jen

Jen;

there is something very wrong...I run right under the Helicopters-no major and few minor problems. I run around Yuma with jets and radar and giant cargo planes and helcopters...no problems....

Did you avail yourself of the training that may have come with the zed?

You need to get with some other zed-ers and compare notes....

Do a factory reset....first thing.

fred

• Admin

Hey Guys,

When it comes to the GPZ 7000, I run normally around 10-12 depending on the ground and have dug very tiny, medium and some decent nuggets at various depths I know the GPX missed with an equivalent searchcoil size.  I haven't tried pushing the GPZ passed about 12, but I do know some are running 15+ and dealing with the noise.  

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

Whats your thoughts on the differences between the 17x13 evo vs 15 evo? Ive come across a bit of information mostly coming out of Aus in regards to the 17x13 being great for covering ground, however the coils seems to be somewhat noisy on highly mineralized ground and or near EMF producers.  The 15 evo seems to be a quieter coil (comparatively) slower on covering ground, harder to pin point, yet deeper punching!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Diggin4aug,

I think it comes down to preference.  The ellipticals work around objects better and also have better pinpointing.  The 15" Round EVO is also very popular, most believe they are getting a tiny bit more depth with the round over the 17x13 EVO. 

I don't think anyone could go wrong with either of these searchcoils on a SD, GP or GPX detectors. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, diggin4aug said:

Hello all,

Whats your thoughts on the differences between the 17x13 evo vs 15 evo? Ive come across a bit of information mostly coming out of Aus in regards to the 17x13 being great for covering ground, however the coils seems to be somewhat noisy on highly mineralized ground and or near EMF producers.  The 15 evo seems to be a quieter coil (comparatively) slower on covering ground, harder to pin point, yet deeper punching!

Hi Diggin, my preference having run several ellips and rounds is, especially where I hunt, in scrubby areas, is the ellip for sure, I love being able to poke the tip in between scrub and under brushes or through between scrub close together, Evo ellip is my weapon of choice coil wise and round for wide open areas, of which I've not seen in a long time, maybe up in Rye Patch area.

Jen

IMG_1447.JPG

Edited by jjbond

• 2 weeks later...

Jen,

Thanks for the response! I ended up with the 14" elliptical evo, 15" round and the little mono Sadie. I'll have to say that the elliptical is now my "go to" coil as it it very responsive on tiny bits of lead (gold soon to come) and in my opinion it runs quieter than the stock 11" commander. The 15" is really impressively quiet and sensitive (better suited to open ground as mentioned). The Sadie was used to clean off some bedrock this past week and found it to be down right deadly at finding everything down to tiny flakes. I actually ran a test between my Garrett AT GOLD with the Super Sniper coil vs the GPX 4500 with the Sadie mono coil. Needles to say the Garrett was put to absolute shame! After "cleaning up " the bedrock with the Super Sniper, I went back with the Sadie and was surprised at the Massive amount of targets that were missed! Actually the AT GOLD missed more targets than the GPX 4500 found! 

Edited by diggin4aug
  • Like 1