Can Someone Please Help

I am new to this site but I have asked this question on a few other forums with no luck what so ever with getting any kind of response to it

To start 99.9% of my detecting is on my own property in North Eastern Arizona I have 40 acres that I live on I have two metal detectors

1-Mine Lab X Terra 705 which I have three coils for it

The 5x10 HF,6" HF and the 9" MF

2-the Garrett AT pro 

The 705 is the main detector I use I use the 5X10 HF coil 99% of the time on it . what I have been trying to get an answer to is this Is there a coil I could purchase that would give me increased depth.

what I am detecting for is gold nuggets on my property don't know if there is any here but the terrain and all the river rock and washes and black sand and quartz that is on my property tells me there could be

I usually run the X Terra in prospecting mode in all metal with tracking set a -3 the 705 usually ground balances in the teens to mid 30s most of the time its in the mid 20s

if what I am trying to accomplish is impossible then someone please tell me if someone thinks I should look at a different detector then tell that also I am open to anything would just like some kind of an answer. 

I have checked out a few newer detectors like NOKTA and Macros but have no clue as to which ones of those would be good for what I am doing or if they would be any deeper then what I have so any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated

wish i had some pics of the area I am detecting to post with this but I do not and don't know if they would help either

Thanks in advance for any help 

Edited by GrayFox
forgot to add something in post

First questions before you even talk about what detector to use ... Have you checked history for the area? Has gold ever been found on or even near your land? Have you looked at any geological maps for presence of gold in the area? Before wasting your time on what detector or even swinging the detector over your land you need to answer the previous questions! Those of us who have been successful finding gold answer those questions before we even go out looking for gold. Your indicators are just that ... indication that gold MAY be present. Do your research first!

53 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

First questions before you even talk about what detector to use ... Have you checked history for the area? Has gold ever been found on or even near your land? Have you looked at any geological maps for presence of gold in the area? Before wasting your time on what detector or even swinging the detector over your land you need to answer the previous questions! Those of us who have been successful finding gold answer those questions before we even go out looking for gold. Your indicators are just that ... indication that gold MAY be present. Do your research first!

First off MR Furness thanks for answering something but I have to ask what exactly does your answer have to do with my question.

My Question is basically is there a different coil that will give me more depth then the coils I currently have.and you start telling me to do my research if you cant answer my question then why bother answering my post at all and yeah I am a blunt person,on the PC or face to face

I could care less if there is gold on my property or not I would just like an answer to the question I ask and that is

IS THERE A COIL THAT WOULD GIVE ME MORE DEPTH THEN THE ONES I CURRENTLY HAVE THANK YOU 

A bigger coil will give you more depth-sometimes. Check the Minelab accessories page to find a compatible coil, Coiltec also make coils for some Minelab detectors.

ROB runs this forum and has a link to his store, you might look there for some possibilities....

Being blunt is not the same as being RUDE...Mike attempted to answer  in his way...you said you were looking for gold with the xterra...why look for you don't care.

Don't expect many people to be rushing to help with your attitude...

fred

1 hour ago, FlakMagnet said:

I read your initial post,

and read Mikes comment back to you

then I read the impatience and rudeness of your reply to him

and it told me right away why your questions on other forums were not answered.

I agree, MR Fox, you seem to be your own worst enemy!!

Well I do owe Mr Furness and members her an apology so I do apologize for my rudeness it was vary UN called for on my part

I took his comment wrong and realize he was making a suggestion but in my defense his reply to my post also seemed to be an assumption on his part that I had not done my due diligence, just like gold seekers seems like an assumption. the other forums that I asked the same question on I have never  received. one response at all.

I do not post a lot on any forums so people really do not know me and in some ways I believe because of my lack of posting is one reason I don't get any responses when I do post something up which is not often

I was an ass to Mr Furness when he responded the way he did and I am not normally that way I am actually a pretty nice person.But again I do apologize

I was just looking for an answer basically as to whether there is a deeper coil for the 705 then the ones I currently have

I will just stick to lurking and reading from now on.Hopefully I can get an answer to my question by doing that.  

1 hour ago, GrayFox said:

Well I do owe Mr Furness and members her an apology so I do apologize for my rudeness it was vary UN called for on my part

I took his comment wrong and realize he was making a suggestion but in my defense his reply to my post also seemed to be an assumption on his part that I had not done my due diligence, just like gold seekers seems like an assumption. the other forums that I asked the same question on I have never  received. one response at all.

I do not post a lot on any forums so people really do not know me and in some ways I believe because of my lack of posting is one reason I don't get any responses when I do post something up which is not often

I was an ass to Mr Furness when he responded the way he did and I am not normally that way I am actually a pretty nice person.But again I do apologize

I was just looking for an answer basically as to whether there is a deeper coil for the 705 then the ones I currently have

I will just stick to lurking and reading from now on.Hopefully I can get an answer to my question by doing that.  

Thanks for manning up with an apology, it shows your true character IMHO  default_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif , everyone misunderstands a comment from time to time, especially when in written form with no body language and facial expressions to help understand the comment's intent! 

I don't know much about the 705, but others that do I'm sure will respond with the info you seek, just give it some time, the forums are a llittle slow these days.

That being said don't just hang back in the shadows, be a apart of the community I think it's a big help and benefit to be an active member not only to oneself but to others that you may be able to help out with your knowledge!

Good for you, none of us are perfect...yet!

I answered your question yet you apparently did not get it...I gave you referrals to find the products...what more can one do?

I will say that bigger coils have other problems...The real question is why do you want a bigger coil. Bigger coils are good for ground coverage and slightly better depth...not as good in trashy areas or in rocks...Your targets, area and mineralization determines the best coil size.

Lipca link above will help.

fred

• Admin

Hey Gray Fox,

Sorry I missed this post.  I see a lot of others gave their valuable advice.  First, I wouldn't be too concerned on a larger coil for more depth until you start finding some gold nuggets (which you might have already).  If you're not finding any nuggets on your property with what you have, I'm not sure I would invest in a larger coil, not knowing the gold is even on the claim or at least in nugget form. 

I would continue working the claim with what you have in hopes of finding some gold nuggets concentrated in an area.  Once you have found some nuggets and the area might have some depth, I would then consider a larger coil. 

I wouldn't advise buying a $200+ larger coil for either the X-Terra or AT Pro until you start picking up nuggets with what you have. 

Hope this helps a bit,

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/19/2017 at 8:14 PM, GrayFox said:

I am new to this site but I have asked this question on a few other forums with no luck what so ever with getting any kind of response to it

To start 99.9% of my detecting is on my own property in North Eastern Arizona I have 40 acres that I live on I have two metal detectors

1-Mine Lab X Terra 705 which I have three coils for it

The 5x10 HF,6" HF and the 9" MF

Let me try to help some.

First to get more depth out of your Xterra 705 you need the high Frequency DD 10.5 inch coil or the 15 inch DD high frequency.  If you are hunting shallow, your high freq 5 X 10 coil should work fine.

Now let's talk about the area you live in.  Do you see a lot of quartz with iron staining?  Do you see a lot of granite, mixed with broken quartz?  What's the color of the dirt?  Does it have a reddish tinge to it, indicating a lot of oxidation?  Find yourself come conditions that look like this on your property and hunt the gullies where the water runs when it's wet.  CONTACT ZONES.  Look for areas where you see granite mixed with quartz.  I particularly like quartz that is really broken down to about rock salt size.  These generally indicates an old weathered reef that has totally broken apart.

If you have areas like this and gullies with exposed bedrock, I would take a chisel, a small sledge, screw driver, a paint brush, gold pan and crack any fissures in the bedrock open.  Brush out the contents and pan it to see if there is any evidence of gold.  If none, that is a pretty good indication that there is no gold present in that gully.  If you do get some small pieces then by all means work the gully with your metal detector.  Pay close attention to the bushes lining the gullies and detect behind them.

Go to my Youtube channel.  docsdetectingsupply  I have a lot of videos there of me actually digging gold.  Pay close attention to the conditions where I find gold.  I usually point these out in my videos.  I try to make make the videos as educational as possible, recognizing that some of the information may be too basic for old-timers.

Hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DocsDetectingSupply

Doc

Edited by DOC
typos