Friend Pops 35+ Grammer with the Minelab GPZ

• Admin

Hello All,

Just recently got this picture of a nice 35+ Gram nugget found with a Minelab GPZ 7000.  I'm waiting to get more info on the depth and such, so will post more when I know.  He sent it over on text message.  I'm positive this nugget was overlooked as they are working some old detected ground with new technology.  Pictures below -

GPZ35-1.jpg

GPZ35-2.jpg

• Like 5

Nice!! Cant wait to hear the rest of the story :)
Tom H.

John ... I have no specific knowledge of the location or wet/dry condition but what I will say is that if you are not hunting the same location and condition a setting sequence won't do you a bit of good. Every location is somewhat different. I will suggest something that works very well for me with my Z. When doing the initial auto-tune start-up to make the EMI disappear I do it twice. It makes a huge difference. I do it with the coil elevated like the manual suggests. I do it a second time immediately after ground balancing with the ferite ring ...for the second 'tuning' I have the coil in the detecting position about 1/2 " off the ground. I have found that I can use a couple or three higher RX gain(Sensitivity) numbers and still maintain a very smooth and quiet threshold. Try it you may find the same. And if it works for you to as I know it will ... You can repay me for the pearl of knowledge with the first nugget you get using this method!!! LOL!

• Like 3

Thank you Mike. I will give it a try for sure. 

I have been running 20 in sensetivity and in normal ground and high yield. Seems to be OK with threshold a bit lower. I am running a B&Z so I have extra volume to play with. I also start in auto ground balance and run there for about 30 minutes then switch to manual. I found it gets more stable then.

I have some gofer holes that run water and it gets noisy. That's why I run in auto then to manual. I also have two air ports near. This makes for a big freak out noise sometimes. More noise with helicopters flying over. Those whirlybirds sure get the zed excited. 

John

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Whitebutler,

I believe during the discovery from what I was told it was dry out.  The ground could have been moist, but not soaked.  I have found when the ground is damp, normally the ground seems a bit more quiet and potentially able to achieve more depth. 

My best guess is the ground was moderate mineralization. 

Have you experienced a very erratic GPZ 7000 when you run sensitivity at 20?  Once I get over about 11-12 I start to get too much background noise and don't like it.  I prefer to run a very quiet, stable detector and concentrate in "certain zones" on faint, whisper type targets. 

We also get a lot of airplanes here and they do effect the GPX and GPZ for a few minutes. 

I have very mild soil for the gpz and gpx and gp machines. However the vlfs don't like most if it I guess it's right on the edge of ether type machine. 

I did at first have an issue with sensetivity 20 untill, I started the auto ground balance for the first thirty minutes. After the auto ground balance for the first thirty minutes I change to manual. After that I switch to the frequencies and adjust manually up or down remembering the one the machine chose. This takes out more worble. Then make sure to ground balance with the ferrite ring, both before and after the auto and manual ground balance change.

I have learned to except some noise and have spent many hours digging for a simple 10 or 12 gram piece at extreme depth. The deepest I found with the 14" is 38 inches. The 19" is 42 inches on a multi ouncer. I use a shovel and pack a wide variety of tools when I go out. I guess my moto is "Run it on kill and learn to live on the edge." 

John

Edited by Whitebutler
  • Like 1