Learning Curve on Metal Detectors

I had posted this on Steve H. forum and I think I need to share it here.

We all know all detectors have a learning curve even the most simple ones.

This has to do with nugget detectors only.

Here you are out nugget detecting and just detected a gold nugget. This is where the learning curve comes in and it will take you a while to get this down.

You have gone back over the nugget several times. Now you put the coil down on top of the nugget. I've got to tell you again This is where the Learning Curve comes in. You know the weight of the coil before and now gives you the weight of the nugget as you lift the coil.

Now if you get one you can't lift the coil out of the hole you need to call me.

My number is BS5-5555 

Chuck

• Like 1

Rob

It's the weight of the coil before and after you put the coil in the hole you dug to detect the nugget them pick it up.   To really test what I'm saying to be true for the first time you need a 1/2 oz. nugget but over time you'll be able to tell a gram nugget.

Now with this new Gold Monster 1000 if it's as good I hope it's going to be, We may be able to tell the weight of 4 grain nugget doing the same test.

I've been coin hunting for years. Over time I'm so good I can tell the date of the coin before I dig it up.

I don't know what to say guys but some got it and some got to go get it.

Chuck

• Like 1

Mike 

You hit on something I can't do but you been nugget hunting longer than I have. If I said that too it would be a lie and I wouldn't want to do that.

Now I have dug some holes that I had to get someone to hold my feet to get to the bottom of the hole. I'd say what detector I was swinging that day but it wouldn't be fair to other detector companies.

I've got to stop before I tell a lie.

Chuck

PS The nugget was one gram

Edited by Ridge Runner
  • Like 1

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Speaking of learning curves, this question comes up often on phone conversations with new customers.  I think the GPZ 7000 and the SDC 2300 are two of the easiest unit to use.  The GPX series are a bit more complex with all the switches, knobs and menu screen.  It's easy to get setting really screwed up and your timings off with all the controls.  The flip side, with all the user control, you can really fine tune and maximize your performance over a lot of different ground conditions. 

Rob

The SDC 2300 is so easy learn and so quick to do so. It's almost to the point of being a turn and go machine. I'd say the new Gold Monster 1000 would be more simpler.

I can't talk about the GPZ 7000 because I don't have one but go ahead and send me one. I should know something by the end of this year. Then I'll give you my opinion. The best thing about it it's all digital.

Chuck 

OK ... Here is my take. The SDC 2300 is a very simple machine ... however there are little nuances that you can do to make it perform better. Calling it an 'almost' turn on and go is half true but there are simple things you need to do to make it better than just turning it on and detecting. As to the comment about the GPZ7000 being easier to operate than a GPX 5000 ... Not in my opinion. If you understand your detector and ALL the functions either is simple to operate. Both however are complicated but very capable machines in the right hands. I STRONGLY ... and I can't say that urgently enough ... I STRONGLY advise you as an owner of the 7000 or the 5000 That you take your dealer's offer of a day in the field to show you how to operate it. OH! ... Your dealer doesn't offer a free lesson in the field with the purchase ... you have 2 choices. One and ideally the best one ... find a dealer who offers the training with the purchase or if you insist on buying from some 'dealer' who will sell you a machine at a 'deal' price but no training be sure to find and pay someone to teach you how to use it. Also don't get me wrong you can operate either just by reading the manual 3-5 times and I suggest strongly you do read it that many times before a lesson. but just reading the manual won't give you the on site in your hands instruction that an experienced user/instructor/dealer will offer. Rob offers the lesson with a purchase. Take him up on it. Your learning curve will shorten and can put you on the gold faster. Just my opinion ... 

Mike F

Mike

The first thing that hit me with the SDC 2300 was the contact with the batteries. I was near Rich Hill at the time and I remembered what was said about putting a business card in. I can't remember if it was Rob's are someone else but it done the job.

On the day training with a new detector I'm all for it. I ask Rob if he was giving a days training with the Monster but still waiting a reply on that.haha

I always told my kids it don't hurt to ask being the most I can say is no. Maybe that Rob has not said a word I'll take that as a no.

The best Mike

Chuck 

Chuck I wouldn't begin to second guess Rob but also not going to speak for him. However please don't expect a lesson on the first day it arrives in his shop. He will need a couple days to play with it to be sure he has it mastered so as not to give you bad intel. 

Mike F

Mike 

I was just joking about a lesson on the 1000 but I'd take it . Not for need on it but to get on the gold on a claim that still has gold.

You said you had the Gold Monster in your hands. My question to you is what is the shaft of the Monster 1000 made of ? 

Chuck

• Admin

Hey Chuck,

We are no ruling out lessons the VLF's, including the new Gold Monster, but if we offered lessons for every unit we sold, we would never get to enjoy ourselves .... LOL  We sell a lot of VLF's, including coin/relic units outside of the PI's.  We pretty much offer the training on the PI's, regardless of manufacture.  

Most of the VLF's are so simple to use, you don't need much time in the field to get started.  

• Like 1

Mike 

I thank you for your reply. I've looked over the video  and then again to see if I see something. The best I can tell is it is a insert on both sides of the shaft. The shaft is hollow with one insert with the screw and the other to accept the screw. The wall of the shaft would be too thin if wood so it has to be another material like plastic are carbon fiber.

One thing I'll know when I get it and I can put this to rest.

Chuck

• Like 1