Rattlesnakes are out, be careful

Hey you southern guys. I'm surprised the snakes show up so late. I was down in southern Nevada this winter, and figured once it hit 60 in the afternoon I couldn't let the dog run around loose. In your experience down there, when is the earliest you usually start seeing rattlers? I don't worry about myself so much, but would hate to have Heidi bitten. Our rattlers up here in southern Idaho are tame compared to the western diamondbacks down there.

Jim

Ran into this guy on Tues. He was still cold and didnt want to move. Might have been dead but I wasn't going to try and find out :)

snake1.jpg

• Like 1

In the desert I see rattlers year round. It seems like we get a crop of cranky two and three year olds waking up about the first of April each year.

Here on the property we rarely see rattlers because we have a 5 foot bull snake that patrols the property. She hates rattlers and kills all she finds. She mumbles something about trespassers and taaassssty ratlerssss while she is in her feeding coma. I'm guessing she ate too many prairie dogs this past week and was snoozing on the job when the pool rattler showed up. Then again she could have chased that rattler into the pool. Ssssome ssssort of ssssnake humor I guess. She's like that.

I generally leave the rattlers alone. If they are on their own territory they are easy enough to walk around. We need them to help keep the rat/prairie dog population down and they make good food for bull snakes, coyotes and hawks.

I draw the line when I find them in the house, yard or in the pool. They are always killed. They crossed the line and they don't get a second chance.

Edited by clay
  • Like 5

I have already enjoyed those beautiful buzz worms. I think they are a very pretty snake. I grew up with them around and respect them. I don't go poking my self in their house and wish to be treated the same. Great pictures guys. 

John

• Like 1