Why is the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 at 45khz?

• Admin

Hello All,

Below is a picture of where the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 falls in the detector frequency range.  Minelab Electronics settled on the 45khz range for this reason -gold-monster-1000-performance-graph.jpg.88998abb26f902e8238a8e41e7be40e1.jpg

Up until now, there has always been a compromise between frequency and sensitivity when optimising detector performance, because lower frequencies are more sensitive to larger gold nuggets and higher frequencies are more sensitive to smaller gold nuggets.

When comparing detectors, the three curves in the diagram represent each detector’s ability to find small gold nuggets of a certain size, at a maximum possible depth. Most detectors will find a very large nugget just beneath the surface, however a detector’s sensitivity to gold determines how many smaller nuggets will ultimately be recovered in difficult (noisy) ground at greater depths.

An 18 kHz detector will normally have a depth advantage on nuggets ≥ 1.0g over a basic mid-frequency detector, and a 71 kHz detector will have a depth advantage on nuggets ≤ 0.1g. The advanced GOLD MONSTER 1000 uses an intermediate 45 kHz frequency AND a high speed 24-bit signal processor. This primary combination greatly boosts sensitivity to gold beyond that of other single frequency VLF detectors over a wide range of nugget sizes, without introducing excess noise and false signals.

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 also has improved ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination and copes better with conductive (salty) soils than higher frequency detectors, making it the perfect choice to maximise your gold recovery!

This is from Minelab's website at - http://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/gold-detectors/gold-monster-1000-

Going to be interesting to see how it performs against the Fisher Goldbug series, Makro Gold Racer and some others on smaller gold.  

• Admin

Hello LipCa,

Yep, I agree with you.  Several VLF's already in that freq. range.  I can get my Makro Gold Racer with the small coil to get near the same performance as the Goldbug 2 on small gold.  I think the advantage of the 48khz vs. very high (like 71khz) or very low (18khz) is you can get slightly a bit more depth, better ground balancing on high mineralization and still get 1-2 grain nuggets on bedrock.  

We will soon find out as the new release date is May 8th, 2017.