Pin Pointer Help

After scarring a nugget I am giving in and looking at buying a pinpointer. So many opinions are out there but most are buy relic hunters....so advice from the Gold Experts:

needs:

1. Reliable

2. Waterproof, (may submerge in cali....not sure)

3. Compliant with a gpx and sensitive coil

4. Good Warranty.

;\

Get the Garrett Carrot from Rob. 

Best one around. All will be sensitive to coils but I keep mine up inside my Camelbak on my back, my GPZ can't hear it in there. You can't wear these on your belt.

The Minelab pinpointers have an open loop design and won't affect coils when they're turned off but I haven't heard as many good things about them as the Garretts. 

• Admin

Hey Guys,

A lot of good pinpointers on the market, just depends on what features and applications you're using it for.  I have to agree, sure seems like the Garrett Pro-pointer (Orange one) is the best for small gold nuggets.  The prior version which we also sell is also very sensitive, probably the same (non waterproof).  I sell 4 of these Garrett pinpointers to 1 Minelab Pro-Find.  The Minelab is slightly less sensitive to small gold nuggets and is a bit more expensive.  

I also have the Makro pinpointer that is very popular for the coin/relic hunters.  I have the new XP, but out of stock on them right now.  I sold them all, so I didn't have a chance to play with it on small targets like gold nuggets.  

I still use the black garret pinpointer, not waterproof like the carrot or others.  When I had my GPX 5000, I kept the pinpointer in my backpack, otherwise the GPX would moan when I it got too close to the pinpointer, even when the pinpointer was off!

Solution:  Wrap the coil/detecting part of the pinpointer in aluminum foil and the GPX will not detect it.  When you need to use the pinponter, simply remove the al foil and recover your target.  Since al foil is rigid, you can reuse the same piece over and over.  Trust me, it works.  You can use a round pie pan for a more permanent holster.

Here is a video from Woody demonstrating this.

Brian.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I have heard the White's pinpointer is good, but haven't used it, nor do I carry White's products. 

I do agree with Nevada Brian, the older Black Garrett Pinpointer is very good. 

I normally would turn my detector off while using any pinpointer. 

I still use the Garrett carrot with aluminum foil.  If I'm in an area with .1 and less bits then I will put it in the backpack to be sure it doesn't affect it.  It is on my farthest shoulder from my GPZ.

Best feature to me is being able to ground balance and really pin point from a target response that was 8 inches in diameter down to a point.