Gpz X coil?

WHY?  A 12 X 10 vs. a 12 X 14?  I understand some people might want a really small coil, but I don't see that there is really enough difference between this coil and the stock coil.

Doc

Doc I hear you about a 12 x 10. I like the fact people are out there making and trying to make their own coils. If a normal guy can make it work on the gpz coiltek and nuggetfinder isn't too far behind. Hopefully. Mostly I just want 6x8 but wishful thinking I know.

1 hour ago, Cowkiller said:

I read the same thing but I'm still hoping for an even smaller one.

I agree, something like the old joey coil on a gpz might make the monster obsolete.....

You are right Rob.  The word was that there would be a bigger coil, and a smaller coil.

Other than getting into tight spots, I can't imagine why you would want a smaller coil, unless weight is a factor.  I mean how small do you want your nuggets to be?

Doc

Doc you nailed it about tight spots. That's the only reason for me. I don't want to find smaller gold (that's what the gb2 is for) just more of it. I have had several solid nuggets that were just whispers for their depth that should have been screamers. The problem was the coil wasn't actually getting over them, but a few inches to the side. When a smaller coil could have been right on top. 

Example... 2 Grammer 3 inches deep on bedrock deep in the side of a waterfall type thing. A Joey coil would have been right on top of it. But the 14 was stuck a few inches away. This nugget took way to Long to find and at one point I was convinced it was ground because the signal never got stronger. Long story short I got that little guy! But a small coil would have helped and that's enough reason for me. 

• Like 1

Guys-One thing we can all agree on here is that is PAYS for the prospector to have the right equipment for the "CONDITIONS".

For me it's not just about small or large as much as it is about "maximizing efficiency". All of the reasons ya'll stated apply in my opinion.

For example- as stated by cowkiller above his piece was on bedrock with only 3in of overburden. In those shallow conditions, the small coil WILL SEE everything small and LARGE, this we know. However, that large "lunker finder coil" WILL MISS some small ones for several different reasons. Especially them "lil wires".

Different strokes for different folks.... I can hike a lot further carrying only one detector though. 

Best wishes! :)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Hopefully for the ones that want it, a smaller coil might come around for the GPZ 7000.  If Minelab continued this series, the GPZ for an extended time like the SD, GP or GPX, then I could see a benefit for them.  It took a lot of time for the 19-inch GPZ coil to get released, way after the promised release date.  If there is a smaller coil, my gut feeling is they want to get it right and not promise a release at some point and not get near that date. 

When it comes to the right conditions like AZ-Sourdough stated, I use the SDC.  It's quite expensive to have a SDC 2300 and a GPZ 7000, but last winter I used the SDC on long hikes and exploration runs to see if "any" gold was at these locations.  If I found something worthwhile and thought the GPZ would be beneficial there, I would hike back with the heavy monster.  I haven't tried it on "small wires" so there is a good chance I could miss those, but pick up the small 1-2 grain flat or round pieces at or near bedrock with ease.  It also handled the hotrocks and mineralization better than a GB2, plus the added depth from a super sensitive PI.  

That all being said, the VLF's are much lighter than even a backpack Pulse Induction SDC 2300.  

On 6/22/2017 at 0:47 AM, DOC said:

Other than getting into tight spots, I can't imagine why you would want a smaller coil, unless weight is a factor.  I mean how small do you want your nuggets to be?

Doc

They want them all but I guess they havent learned yet that NO ONE ever gets them all :o Mike C...:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...