Rob's "50/50" Method to finding new patches or ground

• Admin

Hey Guys/Gals,

Rob's 50/50 Method to Find New Gold with a Metal Detector

Goldfields across the Globe have been pounded with old and new detector technology, so how do you potentially find new virgin ground?

This is something that is difficult for many, they want to continue to pound old, known fields.  Trust me, it's difficult for me also, as I know I can almost always pull a few small ones from old patches if I'm willing to spent the time hunting slowly.  

What I tell many of my customers about finding new patches is this.  It's very hard to re-program yourself to explore new ground as the chance of getting skunked (recovering no gold) is very high.  However, if you would happen to find a new location, there is no telling what the potential could be (grams, ounces or pounds).  

I recommend if possible this 50/50 method.  We all like to bring home a nugget or two if possible, so I will hunt either some gold ground in the morning and hopefully eliminate the skunked by getting a dink or so.  I then concentrate the second part of the day searching new ground.  

This method sometimes allows you to get a piece of gold, eliminate the skunk and explore new ground all on the same day.  Each time in the field, you are at least making an attempt to find new locations.  It's all a process of elimination in my book, you hunt the best you can on that ground and then you don't have to hunt it again.  

I recommend having a "Plan of Attack" prior to the hunt.  Know where you're going to hunt some old patches or ground, then have a plan to attack some new country on the outskirts of known gold locations.  If you do this enough, I would almost guarantee some new gold and hopefully some decent patches to your poke!  

Just some suggestions that have worked for me in the past.  Below is a picture of some nice specimens we found exploring some new ground years ago not very far from a very well known placer area here in Western Arizona.  

newground.jpg

• Like 6

One thing I've found very productive after I've pounded an area really hard is to leave it alone for a while then go back into it from and entirely different direction ... One time I did that on a very hard worked and productive patch and within a couple minutes popped out a nice half grammer and then just above that a 1/2 ozt beauty was hiding among some spanish devil thorns and a clump of bush hog cacti... tried it on a lot patches and 90% of the time I get a new poke out of them...Cheers, Unc

Happy Ridge 2-5-13 studio.jpg

Happy Ridge Half Oz Studio.jpg

• Like 3

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron and Fishing8046,

I agree with you about re-visiting old spots.  I have found some decent gold after re-visiting an old spot that hasn't been hunted in a few years.  I also think when you hunt an area all the time, you kind of loose focus and the area becomes kind of boring. 

• Like 4

Great advice.   I like to get out to a prospective area and leave my detector in the truck for a percentage of time.  It sounds weird, but it really allows you to just LOOK at things instead of being in listening/interpreting detector mode.   If I have the detector, this is what mode I am in.  If I am just walking around looking .. maybe getting up on a hill, I get a much better feel for the area.   And I have more of an excuse if I don't find anything.  Ha...Ha.

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Andy,  

I have done the same many times, leave the detector behind and just walk around.  This is one thing I really liked about the SDC 2300, as it would fit in my Camelpak Backpack and I could hike miles have have a detector on me if I wanted to spot check anywhere along the route.  It only took about 30 seconds to get the detector out and fired up, check out a spot, pack it back up and on the way again. 

• Like 1