Man stranded for days in the Arizona Desert

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Here is an interesting story about a guy that got stranded for days heading up to Crown King, Arizona.  He was found on the third day by a guy driving a motorcycle.  You can read the story here - 

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-stranded-arizona-desert-days-tells-story-survival-232605306--abc-news-topstories.html

Oh brother!

Some people never cease to amaze me :o

That road from Crown King to Lake pleasant  is tough for 4x4s and hes taking  a SUV on it? 
Without any supplies? ARG! :wacko:

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Ya, if you're traveling alone, you should be a bit more prepared.  I have a pretty good story for you -

Years ago my Cousin and I were heading back deep into the Tip Top area in my old 1985 Toyota 4x4 with a 3-inch lift.  The little truck was setup for prospecting, still wish I owned it.  We were travel back in the night, as we both got a wild hair one night in Prescott and decided to head out for a prospecting trip.  It must have been at least 10pm or so, we crossed a guy walking the road.  It was a huge surprise to see anyone this deep into the backhills, but he broke down in his sand rail and was hiking out.  He was out of water, had no supplies whatsoever.  He kind of scared us, as back then we were just young pubs.  We both told the guy we would give him some supplies, but we were heading back deeper in the hills and would be coming out the following afternoon.  We agreed to pick him up on the way out, as we were not going to allow him to camp with us.  

The guy was a bit strange, we didn't know if he was some type of loose criminal or what.  Figured the supplies we gave him would last him overnight and if he really needed a ride out he would be waiting for us at some point on the road.  That evening we had a hard time sleeping, thinking the guy was going to sneak up on us .... LOL   Believe it or not, we actually kind of hide the truck out on a high road where we could watch below us until the next morning.  We spent 4-5 hours detecting and then headed back out.  We were both curious if the guy would still be there.  We actually found his broke down sand rail, so that was a valid story.  Looks like he broke a tie arm on the front drivers side.  He didn't have any supplies, as we quickly looked over the broken down sand rail.  

We passed the spot where we dropped him off and about a mile further down the road, there he was!!  He was sitting on the side of the road waiting for us.  We talked with him for a bit, he said he just wanted to get to New River so he could make a phone call.  I asked him if he needed more water or food, but he said he would settle on a cold beer. :)  We got him back into New River and he made a call and was able to get someone he knew to pick him up and head back into the area and get the sand rail out.  

I really don't think the guy would have walked his way out of there.  He was at least 20 miles back into the back country with NO water, NO Food or NO supplies.  It was just starting to get warm in the afternoon, so my best guess it was around April - May.  

I personally take about a case of water when I head out into the hills.  Normally I will have 3-4 larger Gatoraide's also for the trip and food.  I figure I could go at least 3-4 days with minimal food if I had plenty of fluids to keep in me.  I also always have 3-4 Granola bars and several small packs of Nuts that have plenty of Salt.  

• Like 5

Good story Rob...on both ends. How to prepare and how to not be prepared :)
   Back in the 80s I had to leave dad at the camp when the Bendix gear shattered on the ol 76 Jeep Pick up  (auto trans or I would have pushed it) . I hiked out bout 5 miles with the starter on my shoulder....was only 21 at the time.....Got someone to get me to a phone and he came and got me. Fixed the starter the next day, got back to dad in the Baja bug and we went home. But............we had plenty of supplies to be able to do that. After that I carried a extra bendix in the glove box and never needed it :) Now days. I carry lots of extra food/water supplies/ tools/parts/wire/tape/ whatever!!! Just to get me back out. Heres a couple of fixes over last year that got me out 

Broken idler arm....baling wire and rope....broken rear spring...block of wood! Got to get creative to get out sometimes.
Tom H.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2

• Admin

Hey Tom,

I wish you would stop being so damn hard on the Yoto! :P  Wow, those are some pretty good fixes.  I used to carry several wire rolls of bailing wire also.  I have a tool box in the back of my truck loaded with tape, wire, rope,  jacks and other stuff.  I will probably need it, but the moment I take it out, I will need it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nuggethunting said:

Hey Tom,

I wish you would stop being so damn hard on the Yoto! :P  Wow, those are some pretty good fixes.  I used to carry several wire rolls of bailing wire also.  I have a tool box in the back of my truck loaded with tape, wire, rope,  jacks and other stuff.  I will probably need it, but the moment I take it out, I will need it.  

Its mining equipment....its gonna get beat up :)

I am one with the YOTO...I have touched/repaired/replaced pretty much  everything on it.....we are one I feel the YOTO when we go out................ :)   and it HURTS! :o

Tom H.

Edited by oldies1955
  • Like 2

A buddy of mine got into HAM radio the hard way about 10 years back when his Toyota broke down on the backside of Mt. Lemmon and he had no cellphone service. He was stuck back there about three days I guess.

Since then he got his HAM license and has his truck rigged up with a radio and he carries a small handheld one when we go hiking. The range is pretty amazing, we chatted with his brother once on his HAM radio when we were hiking in the Patagonia Mtns and his brother was rock climbing on Mt. Lemmon! We also talk to his dad when we camp too. His dad has one at his house so he'll be talking to us in his recliner at home and we'll be sitting by the campfire somewhere out in the desert it's pretty cool.

• Like 2

often have thought to get my license and a handheld for that very reason. I prospect a lot all by my lonesome and many times I am miles from the road. Also when hunting in the North Maine Woods one can find themselves 10-15 miles from help depending on how adventurous one wants to be. I have little fear of the woods and often find myself farther out than I at first told other members of my party. a HAM or shortwave as I call it could be the ticket to communication in either of those situations. Of course in the hunting situation someone else would have to have one too to make it worthwhile.