Buying New Gold Detector

You guys must get this a lot but I'm going to ask anyway.......

I'm going to buy a new gold nugget hunting metal detector. Here are some relevant facts:

1. I have little metal detecting experience.

2. I have a fair amount of panning, sluicing and crevicing experience.

3. PI is not in the budget.

4. I can afford VLF in the Gold Bug II price range.

5. I live in Washington State, there are a few areas with nugget potential, I have no idea of the local ground mineralization.

6. I will probably get the chance to take it to Alaska, Oregon and Nevada. Maybe California and Arizona, too.

7. This will be strictly recreational, it might get used 3 weeks a year.

I'm leaning towards the White's GMT. I like the thought of automatic ground balance.

You may have seen this post before on other forums, I'm trying to get as much input as possible.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Howdy Alienbogey,

I personally prefer the Minelab XT18000. It also has auto ground balance plus it has three frequencies to chose from. The new "Eureka Gold" by Minelab is an up dated model of the XT18000 and I think would be your best choice in the price range you mentioned. Have fun out there whatever you do :D

George (Wishbone)

• Admin

Hello,

George made a good suggestion, as the XT series were/are great VLF detectors. The XT18000 is now discontinued, but still can be found on E-bay and various forums for sale. Like George stated, the new Eureka Gold is an updated version of the XT18000, but with a fast/slow tracking control and a better look.

You can view the Minelab Eureka gold at Minelab's Website -

http://www.minelab.com

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

What do you think of the Golden Hawk? I have seen a number for sale at a very good price. Some people think it is a great detector.

Hi Alienbogey,

I myself love my Gold Bug 2. I have used an XT 17000 and an 18000 and have found that they are not nearly as sensitive to very small nuggets (in the 1 - 2 grain catagory). I have used and also think Whites GM 3 is one of the best VLF detectors out there, and is every bit as sensitive as the Gold Bug 2 and a lot cheaper as well. It also can be, like the GB2, stem mounted, hip mounted, or chest mounted. There are a number of nice coils available for it such as the Jimmy Sierra small elipictal and the 2X9 Hot Foot. I tried the Whites GMT and the MXT a number of times for prospecting, and was not as impressed with them as the Gold Bug 2 and the Whites GM 3 -- they were not very sensitive to small gold. However, I must say that the Grab Button on the GMT was a nice idea. Just my thoughts.....

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm going to go VLF for a number of reasons, economy among them.

I'm going to buy the detector new from Gerry of Gerry's Detectors in Boise and take his detector training at the same time. We'll be down in Rye Patch, Nevada at the end of the month.

I can't decide between the GMT and GB2, so Gerry is going to bring both and let me decide after trying them out.

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Nuggetshooter - I never cared for the Minelab Golden Hawk. Cosmetically it looked nice, kind of like a mini SD. However, it was nothing like a SD, and was just like any other Minelab VLF gold hunting detector (XT series at that time). If you going to stick with Minelab, and stay in the VLF range, I would shoot for a XT18000 or the newer Eureka Gold.

alienbogey - There is nothing wrong with a good VLF such as the Fisher Goldbug 2 or the White's GMT. The Goldbug2 run the highest operating freq at 71kHz. This machine will find stuff so small you need eyeglasses and tweezers! :shock:

Starting with a good VLF could be a smart move for your budget. Hope you have tons of success at Rye Patch with Gerry. I'm sure he will treat you right and get you off on the right track searching for elusive gold nuggets.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Alienbogey,

Good luck at Rye Patch. When are you going? I am hunting with Gerry for 4 days at Rye Patch in May. Have talked to him many times on the phone and have been emailed by him a lot as well -- very nice and easty to talk tol. If you are going before the first week in May, please be sure you leave me at least one nugget to find!

nuggetshooter,

We'll be there the last week in February.

Yes, Gerry has spent a lot of e-mail and phone time with me and when I couldn't decide between GB2 and GMT he offered to bring both along so I could try each of them.

I've read that Rye Patch has been really worked over and supposedly the best chance there is with the expensive PI jobs, but I'm mainly there to get the training on the machine from Gerry - if we find something(s) it will be a bonus.

I have no doubt we'll leave something for you, though.

AlienBogey,

Gerry has told me a number of times that the proper mind set for Rye Patch is to try and find at least one nugget a day. He said that that is a good day at Rye Patch because it has been worked so hard. He has found nuggets every time, so I am sure you will have good luck with him. Check out his website and see the gold he has found there. I will have my GB2 and My Minelab GPX. Hope you do well and can make a decision. I have had my GB2 for a lot of years now and it has bee good to me. Gerry is going to bring me one that has been modified so I can compare it to mine to see if the mods are worth it. Let us know how many nuggets you find.

Darryl

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Last year John B. and I spent some time at Rye Patch. We tried to make contact with a local of the area, but he was too busy to guide us around at the time. Not knowing anything about Rye Patch besides where it was, we were able to score about 2-3 nuggets apiece per day.

The biggest piece, which was scored the first day, was 3/4 ounce. We both were using GP3000's with Nuggetfinder coils.

Good luck to you guys.

Rob Allison

nuggetshooter,

I notice you're from Sacramento.

This is getting off topic, but do you ever go up the Feather River after gold?

We used to live in Fallon, Nevada and used to pan and sluice the Feather River Canyon, strictly recreationally with our kids. Our favorite place was Rich Bar when Norm Grant owned it, it was pay to pan, he uncovered that bedrock with heavy equipment and you'd go in and crevice and such. I saw a 4 ounce nugget found 8' from where I was digging. Best we found was 1/4 ounce. We saw a retired couple hit a pocket and get 15 ounces in two days.

Now that I'm finally going to get a gold detector I keep thinking of areas I know in the Feather Canyon where I'd like to take it......

• 4 years later...

I am somewhat new to the detecting scene as you were a few years ago. How was your class with Gerry in Rye Patch? I have been talking to him via email for a couple of years and I am thinking about taking his class. I have two GB2's and although I would like to own a Minelab PI, the cost is too rich for my blood. I have relatives in the Seattle area. How is prospecting in that part of the woods?

Pat

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm going to go VLF for a number of reasons, economy among them.

I'm going to buy the detector new from Gerry of Gerry's Detectors in Boise and take his detector training at the same time. We'll be down in Rye Patch, Nevada at the end of the month.

I can't decide between the GMT and GB2, so Gerry is going to bring both and let me decide after trying them out.

If you can buy a PI your going to buy one at some point in time. May as will get it now. Rob has great deals on PI's. I was in the same boat as you I was going to get a VLF But I want to find as much gold as I can so I saved my money. Call Rob and ask him for advise. After talking to other people and reading everything I could find I would own nothing but a minelab PI detector.