Octave, Arizona Token

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is an Octave, AZ Token I have that was found with a metal detector around the Rich Hill area. I also have a 6-sided Octave Token that I have to get from my other house.

Someone researched this one for me and stated it was worth in the range of $200-$450 depending on shape.

Thought you would enjoy,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Lizardchaser and all,

Not sure what type of metal it is, but it's very light weight.

Anyone know if I should try to clean the token, or just leave it as is? I have it packaged up in a small zip tight baggy right now.

Any help would be appreciated,

Rob Allison

Hey Lizardchaser and all,

Not sure what type of metal it is, but it's very light weight.

Anyone know if I should try to clean the token, or just leave it as is? I have it packaged up in a small zip tight baggy right now.

Any help would be appreciated,

Rob Allison

Rob,

NO, do not clean the token with any harsh cleaners. Mild soap and water, no rubbing. Those Octave tokens are aluminum and will scratch very easy. Here is some information from Arizona Tokens, by Hal Birt, Jr.

D. Virando - Octave, Ariz. Good For 12 1/2 in trade......Aluminum , 23 1/2mm round, LARS (made by Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Co.) Was a saloon in business around 1910. It is listed at $400 top price.

Your other token is probably either.......

A. Giovando - Bros. Octave, Ariz. Good for 12 1/2 cts. Drink. Aluminum, 29mm, Octagonal, 1902 - 1908

$500 top price.

or

H.C. Trappman, Good for 12 1/2 cent, drink, Aluminum, Octagonal, 29mm, saloon - 1902 - 1903

$300 top price.

Jim

• Admin

Hello Jim,

Yep, this is the other token I have at the other house. I remember the name on the token being A. Giovando. I know another person that has about 5-6 of these tokens, all found in one small area.

A. Giovando - Bros. Octave, Ariz. Good for 12 1/2 cts. Drink. Aluminum, 29mm, Octagonal, 1902 - 1908

$500 top price.

Thanks for the help,

Rob Allison

Rob, I gave Bill Southern an Arizona Token book by Sam Michials (I think) it was written in the 80's, it might be interesting to know what it was worth then...

Many people think aluminum tokens are not as valued as brass, but often times they are more rare and of higher value. Part of the reason is because Aluminum was not a common metal in the early 1900's...that changed when an economic method of refining aluminum was found.

Fred