Question about Google Earth or Microsoft Virtual Earth

• Admin

Hello All,

Been trying to find a good arial program to view different prospecting locations. Played around with the FREE version of Google Earth and Virtual Earth from Microsoft. Didn't download either program, just went to the website and played around with both.

Noticed on both that some locations are not available. Anyone have any suggestions which one is better, or is there something besides these two programs?

Would you recommend downloading one of the above versions, and is it better than the freebie version on their websites?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob Allison

Rob,

I like to use Google Maps. I don't know if that's the same as Google Earth. Probably. I used to use Google earth when it was Keyhole, but no more. Google Maps are astounding if the sharp resolution is available for the area you are looking at. Toss a coin. If the sharp resolution is not available, I usually like to look at Microsoft Terraserver.

Check 'em out. Can't beat free.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the good pay to play programs.

Hi Rob,

Not saying what is best, but there are others. I have used World Wind by NASA at http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ for some things as Google Earth makes the images fuzzy at the edges. World Wind is sharp edge to edge. It also has maps of the Moon and Mars!

I got some of the best aerial photos I've ever wanted online for free at TerraServer USA, another Microsoft project. Check it out at http://terraserver-usa.com I do not know what the status is now but at one time TerraServer was a Microsoft project in pushing the limits of large online database systems.

Steve Herschbach

I have used both free versions of Terra Server and Google Earth. For the wilderness type areas, it looks to me like they are using the same original USGS aerial photo images. I say that because some of the areas I have searched around Yuma have the same image overlap flaws. I looked at my house and property in N. San Diego County and the images were probably taken about 1998. Google Earth has added color, contrast and some fancy features for zooming and rotating the image but its still based on older original images. The software that enhanced the original photos still has a few glitches. It has trouble distinguishing certain areas of shadow and reflections off water. Its still a great program. It gives Lat and Long numbers wherever you point the cursor. You really need a good computer and one of the high dollar monitors to get the most out of it. It has saved me some shoe leather for exploring new areas.

Stephen

Google Earth makes the images fuzzy at the edges. World Wind is sharp edge to edge. It also has maps of the Moon and Mars!

Concerning Google Earth

Under "tools" then "options" then "3d view" and then "detail area" you can adjust the detail area from 256x256 up to 512x512. On mine the 1024x1024 option is grayed-out so I assume you have to buy the non-free version to have that feature.

The latest download of Google Earth also has a space exploration feature:

http://earth.google.com/sky/index.html

http://earth.google.com/tour/thanks-win4.html

Hey Rob,

i use the paid version of google earth plus , and ill tell you with the paid version you get alot more stuff, way better resolution,etc......i use it ALL of the time, and ill tell you, i dont see how i ever lived without it...LOL

get the paid version. im sure youll ove it. alot of the guys on my forums have it also and they use it all the time and everyone else raves about it. great program. one of the nice features is that you can connect your GPS ( if you have one thats conmpatible),check the maps out on google earth and if you see something you can mark it and upload it to your GPS.

ive got a friend that has the REAL expensive version (google earth pro) , and man, the maps are even better yet, way better resolution even on that version

I just checked out Google Earth Plus and there is a notation that the underlying imagery is the same for all versions of Google Earth. It seems like we're stuck with the original USGS aerial photos ( 1998 ?) as the baseline.

Hi Rob,

I also noticed that in the Google spiel that they say the imagery is the same for all. I notice for Australia that the rectangular areas that are brownish in colour have excellent resolution, but the greenish areas don't allow you to zoom in close because they go blurred. If these areas allow closer zooming, I would definitely pay for the upgrade. Cheers from down under.

Yo All...One thing I've noticed about google earth is that the UTM coordinates are not accurate...My mapping program, terraserver and my GPS all agree right down to the meter, but google UTM is off by about 200 meters one way and 100 meters the other...I don't know if they give you the correct UTM if you pay for it or not...Anyone have any idea? Cheers, Unc

Yo All...One thing I've noticed about google earth is that the UTM coordinates are not accurate...My mapping program, terraserver and my GPS all agree right down to the meter, but google UTM is off by about 200 meters one way and 100 meters the other...I don't know if they give you the correct UTM if you pay for it or not...Anyone have any idea? Cheers, Unc

i know that with the google earth plus that i have my GPS and google match to the t.

also, those areas of low resolution you see in the free version are not there in the plus version

got to remeber, they cant give you everything in the free version you get in the paid version. if they did, why would you buy it?

Well I lashed out and bought the Google Earth Plus at $20 US. The writings said that the underlying images were the same for both versions, AND they are right. The images for the all regions I am looking are identicle. The resolution is set to max and I don't see any difference at all. Was it a wasted buy? Maybe not, because I have had the images for free until now, but I won't be repeating the exercise until the images for the whole of the world are at least uniform. Cheers.

Hi Rob, :)

Frosty here, Long time no email. I can see by your posts your still hard at it - way to go! B) I use terra serv, google & the Nasa program. Really couldn't tell ya which is better because I haven't found much in Colo. these past few years anyway. Did find some ore over the summer during one of my few times out - it sent the detector singing through the roof. I think I can see some Au in it - found it in an area that produced years ago.

Still hopeful in trying to get back to Az. for some serious beeping and some real Au. Anyway - Merry Christmas to you and yours and everyone else on the forum. Gotta take a break from the illegal alien thing - it's taking up alot of my beeping time. :lol:

Merry Christmas to all - Frosty :D