In Defense of J. Porter

• Admin

Hello Guys/Gals,

Over the years I've seen many people and certain forums bash J. Porter. A matter of fact, over the years I've taken in some of the same bashing, but continue one knowing I'm helping hundreds, if not thousands of prospectors out there.

In my opinion I think many are absolutely jealous of JP's success as a full-time electronic prospectors and the ability for him and his family to market their success in something they have such a great passion for!

I share this same passion when it comes to gold prospecting, not just metal detecting, but all forms gold mining/prospecting.

JP is living a dream that many wish they could live, no questions about it. I've dreamed about prospecting the outback of Australia for many years, but doubt I will ever get to see the great Outback, or be able to relate to any of the stories I've been told about it.

Just think of the wealth of information people would be loosing if many of the great forum contributors would all of a sudden stop posting or disappear? :(

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

I have to agree. He's a lightening rod and seems to like it that way.The guy takes a lot of crap and keeps on pluggin away. I've certainly benefited from his willingness to share tips and tricks over the years. He seems to be pretty thick skinned, but he should know he's got an open minded following.

Hey JP, keep em on their toes and "never give an inch".

Stephen

I have to agree totally. Only met the man once at Rich Hill and it was a pleasure, to say the least.

There are a few people on these forums who share their passion for the search of gold with any and all expecting nothing in return, except that maybe the information shared will help someone do abit better and they'll help someone else.

Hats off to JP from this soul. I appreciate his input!

Shep

I feel the same way also. I, being new this forum and seeing someone with this much knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise, and wanting to share it with the rest of us shows class and integrity.

For this Mr. JP I applaud you.

Wish I could walk in your shadow to pick up the scraps. If you ever need a caddy PM me. :lol:

Guest Mike C...

Hi Rob JP's has never really been cyber attacked on any US forums--seems only on his homeland forums :huh: --How many people can say they enjoy thier job---I've always enjoyed JP's post ;) -Mike C... :ph34r:

I think JP takes Way more flak (not you flakmagnet :) ) then he should have to. For someone who makes a living selling his information in DVD form, he sure is willing to just Tell you the same information whether or not you purchased his video/s.

I certainly appreciate the input J.P., Rob A., Reno Chris, Steve Herschbach, and many others give out freely. I have learned SO much from this forum that I have become comfortable enough with my detector to have my daughter take my (purchased, not found) 5.1 grain nugget and bury it in our garden for me to find. (And she likes to dig deep holes lol) I owe that comfort to many people on this forum.

Cheers to all of you, especially those who take $h1t for making a living at this hobby.

Nathan the Newbie.

Hello all,

I don't know much about what is going on, but I do support and thank J.P. for the help he has been over time for all of us that try to get our heads around these sometimes mind bending machines.

As Rob said, there are alway those who would choose to malign someone out of jealosy, just because they can get their nastiness in print, and get away with it.

If there is an issue with the 4000, then I would hope Minelab would step up and make it right. I have had quite a many of their machines over time, ever since they first started making detectors, as have a good many of the good folk that hang around these forums, and would not like to believe Minelab would dupe us intentionally.

Thanks Rob for putting in your dos centavos in support of J.P.

~LARGO~

Hi Enigmatic Engineer,

"I certainly appreciate the input J.P., Rob A., Reno Chris, Steve Herschbach, and many others give out freely."

I'm honored to be in that sentence with that company! The fact is I pay attention to what JP, Rob, Chris, and others say also. There is always something to learn and I've learned a lot from them all.

JP gets hit hard because he has a close association with Minelab. He takes the hardest hits from the Minelab haters. He is obviously a tool of Minelab in their eyes and the assumption is he has no integrity.

Next in line are dealers like Rob and I. The Minelab haters like to take shots at us. We obviously have a vested interest in sales in their eyes and the assumption is we have no integrity.

Next in line are users who are simply happy with their Minelabs. The Minelab haters like to take shots at them. The assumption in their eyes is these people are simply stupid and have been duped.

Funny thing about me is I'll trust you first and place value in what you say against the value I think I am receiving. But the Minelab haters work in reverse. They want people to prove integrity first and ignore anything offered of value. The fact that JP offers tons of great info for free is ignored because he won't provide proper credentials to people who have no right to demand them. His willingness to share speaks for itself.

It does seem to be somewhat a cultural issue, but some Minelab users feed it also by ripping into people who mention some weakness in a Minelab. Defenders of the faith, if you know what I mean. God forbid you point out a $250 detector comes with waterproof coils but a $5595 Minelab still can't manage something so simple. Or that a simple VLF can hit smaller gold or discriminate iron better. Get ready for how that does not matter.

JP, please keep posting here. You are an asset I value, and I'd like you to have a place you can be free to post at without getting the grief. I hope your detractors just stay on their own forum. I don't drop in there to harass them and I wish they'd not drop in here as they have nothing of value to add to a discussion. I believe you lend some legitimacy to their BS buy even engaging them in a discussion as nothing you will say will suffice and all will be twisted or ignored as suits them. But then I've been guilty of the giving them the attention they crave also.

In my opinion each successive Minelab has been better than the last. Although in minor ways sometimes. Does improving a model mean the previous model has "issues"? It is the nature of progress in my opinion. Most of what came before is not as good as what comes later. By definition all prior technology is "defective" compared to newer technology.

Somebody is going to have to prove a lot more than that an older Minelab model lacks features a newer model has. What law impels me to release my superior knowledge, if any, prior to when I wish to sell it? If a safety issue exists you can make that claim. Good luck on pure technology. Quote the law folks. And prove the prior superior knowledge exists.

Name me a detector model that has survived and undergone changes that does not offer a similar scenario. How about the White's Goldmasters? White's Goldmaster II, Goldmaster V/SAT, Goldmaster 3, Goldmaster 4/B, Goldmaster Tracker (GMT). Is White's "drip-feeding" us technology? Did previous models have "issues".

What about the Eric Foster Goldscan 5? Or Goldscan 5B? Or now Goldscan 5C? Is Eric "drip-feeding" us technology? Did previous models have "issues"? Did buyers of the first Goldscan 5 get ripped off?

What about that last car you bought? Why did it not have Flex-Fuel capability? Do not all the car manufacturers owe us an upgrade? See http://e85vehicles.com/ and write GM for a free upgrade.

Dave Emery with the Pulse Devil is figuring it out. If you try to develop perfection you never can stop and deliver. There are always better ideas with time. Should the designers of the Victrola Phonograph have just kept plugging away until they came up with an iPod before releasing their "personal listening device"? Dave can develop until he dies and unless he runs out of brain power he will never stop coming up with good ideas. And if he runs out users will keep them coming.

So at some point you have to let your baby go and keep plugging along improving. The goal is to have a unit that is enough better than what came before that people will buy it. News Alert - this is business! If you can't come up with enough to offer, keep plugging away. When you hit that magic spot, release a new, better model.

There is no law that says you have to show your cards all at once. I can sell my ideas when I want for what I want. I get tired of people telling me GM has a carb that runs off water. Exxon has a cold fusion device in a basement somewhere. Minelab has technology they are not offering for sale yet. So what if they do? If you do not like it, come up with something better yourself and make it available and you will get rich. If you cannot, then buy the best you can afford.

And that would be...?

Steve Herschbach

I agree that JP takes an inordinate amount of criticism for his

enthusiastic backing of ML and their detectors.

What is particularly funny about that is

that he is also the most consistent source of

cutting edge information of how to use them effectively.

(as a case in point, see his post on this forum in answer to Tony's post

asking about timings on the 4500; it is a good example

of the kind of information he provides that makes a big difference

in how fast us hobby prospectors get up-to-speed on

this new ML release.)

I also notice he has little problem with the nay-sayers,

most of their arguments have little in the

way of anything pertinant other than playing a verbose

"gotcha" game and liking to hear themselves rant.

Flak

Well said, Steve.

Jonathan Porter is like an Eagle when he flys by the crows they all want to harass him but they never get close to his talons or beak....

In March of 03 when I was preparing to go to Oz I asked a question regarding the NT, Australia and JP responded immediately with excellent info and suggestions. He has been ever helpful to many through all the years I have followed his posts...

Fred

JP has the top knowledge on the new minelab detectors, he has helped many, during his persuits of nuggets. He has my vote. Keep it up JP. As my Grandfather once said:"YOU CAN"T LEARN ANYTHING WITH YOUR MOUTH FLAPPING" Listen to thoses in the know! Grubstake

I owe a lot to JP for his videos and help with learning the 4000, his knowledge and willingness to help is admirable.

Why he has to take the heat for Minelab is beyond me, I can only imagine the mess we'd have without him and his insights into these complex machines...

Don't hate the player, hate the game... ;)

I have to echo all the good that has been said about Jonathan Porter on this thread. His videos have helped me and I absorb every post that he makes on the forums that I frequent. He is an asset in many ways. Keep those post coming JP, they make the learning curve much easier.

Jim

well JP i am very new to this minelab nugget hunting if not for i would still be in the lost mode with mine guys like you and Rob help a lot maybe even more then you really think so keep up the good work and we will keep on reading have a good day

LON

• Admin

Hello Guys,

It's great to see others voice their opinion in defense of J. Porter.

Let me tell you a little story ....

When I first started electronic prospecting back in the early 90's there wasn't any Internet forums let alone the books and videos that are available today. I was fortunate enough to get with a few guys that spent a good portion of their lives looking for gold nuggets for an income. These guys spent just about every day in the field searching for that ellusive gold. Without these guys, especially Richard Doherty, I wouldn't be hunting gold nuggets today.

I was just a young kid, early 20's, but took advantage of everything they could teach me. Many of these mentors are now passed, but there isn't a moment I don't think about them or remember our ventures in the Arizona goldfields.

I know if I was a beginner today, the Internet forums would be a gold mine of information! We should all be thankful we have some of these great contributors on the gold forums today. I'm sure there are many just lurking, not willing to share, sure wish they would ....

Take care,

Rob Allison

"I certainly appreciate the input J.P., Rob A., Reno Chris, Steve Herschbach, and many others give out freely."

I certainly consider it a compliment to be considered in that group. No one knows it all - I always learn something new from any expereinced prospector that I have the privelidge of spending any significant time with.

I agree with the premise of this thread - JP is a good guy and does not in any way deserve the blatant attacks he receives on some of the Aussie forums. I really enjoyed the brief time I got to spend with him a few years ago in AZ. Perhaps some words of kindness will undue some of the injury.

I have all his videos and I can say they are well worth watching. He has accomplished quite a bit and deserves some respect. Although we all respect his gold finding abilities, I think he also deserves respect (along with his wife) for raising two young sons while accomplishing all the gold finds, videos, magazine articles, etc. I'd say all of that is pretty impressive.

I agree with Steve that there is a cultural element in these guys who dislike a corporation so intensely and somehow make it personal. There is no reason or rhyme to it - I've given up trying to explain it - its like the facts of the matter are irrelevant, and they just enjoy complaining. Unfortunatly for JP, he gets pegged as the person who represents Minelab, and the bashers put a target on him as the personification of the Minelab Corporation. The truth is that when you count up the number of the really vociferous complainers, there are actually very few of them and they go around all the forums from time to time to preach their baloney.

Hey JP, your contributions are well appreciated.

Chris

Allright, no more lurking...(thanks for the push. Rob)...

When Rob speaks I listen.

When Steve H. speaks I drool with envy and jot down some of his points.

When Grubstake writes I wish that we were sitting in front of a fire so I could ask all of the "stupid" questions and pick his brain becuase I know that he won't laugh AT me but, would respond with years of experience and the willingness to share it.

When a member who joined yesterday writes I find myself a bit relieved because I've wondered the same thing (that they have asked) and I CAN RELAXE knowing that someone WILL answer it. That answer moves another member to respond with additional help.

When JP writes it's often to share information and/or experience(s) that gets many to talking...thinking.

(I know JP from THIS forum and some of his dvd's. My wife knows JP from his dvd's. Our two miniature dachshunds know JP from the time his dvd's keep me from spending more time with them).

When JP's naysayers write on this forum it gets a lot of the more knowledgeble people to writing. Thus, more knowledge and experience is shared.

It's ALL good!!

Perhaps the best aspect of these challenges is how professionally (and maturely) the people on this forum deal with those from 'outside' the Nuggethunting Forums. Just when you expect someone to tell someone else to go shove their detector (if they own one) you members gang together and wow the opposition with years of greatness that, if challlenged, makes the person (with the hidden detector) unable to respond with much more than jibberish and childish threats and inuendoes.

The continuing arguement of trickle technology is like arguing the answer to Pi.

Steve says it best; maybe you can't buy the best existing technology but, you can buy the best technology that is offerred and for sale.

I have a 4000 that will very shortly see the goldfields for the first time. Is it the best? No, perhaps not but, assuming I can take full advantage of all that it has to offer, it will give me an advantage over most and of the thousands of square miles that have been scanned I know that it will probably seek deeper, etc., than those (most) that have been there before me. The Earth is constantly changing. The ground is ever moving.

Today is not the same as yesterday and never will be. Scan the same field with a different attitude and the findings, I believe, will be reflect that attitude.

Well I'm back to my old trusty 2200, not by choise, but by cercomstances. I loved my 4000. its a very good and capable detector. My sale of it was strickly, because of the fixed income my wife have, and the many DR. apiontments we have and are going to have over the next few months. If not for that, I'd still have it, use it and I really liked it. But a man has to put his family first. So it had to go, knowing my uncle had my old 2200 sitting in his garages, unused since I got the 4000. He gave it back to me to use. Will it find gold? you bet! But the 4000, was light years ahead of it and much smoother. Its got a good home. And stuff you can always get back, The DRS. are hopefully going to get my wife off the 4 insulin shots she has to take everyday. That more important to me right now. But who knows it only takes one good nugget to get a 4500. Todays the day! like Mel use to say. Grubstaske

Rob

JP has no defense.

Willing to always help someone. GUILTY

Knows more than anyone about the Minelab detector.GUILTY

Minelab wanting the best nugget hunter to test their detector with a head on his shoulders not up his a--.GUILTY

Meet two times and being down to earth friendly guy.GUILTY

Made DVD's to help us learn more about the detector we had being some didn't get field instructions.GUILTY

Being the man a guy would love to nugget hunt with.GUILTY

Having a wife that I myself would kill for that goes to the end of the earth with him.(I'd say the bush is it)GUILTY

JP your are GUILTY of so much nice things that you do for people I don't know how you live with yourself.

This GUILTY list could go on for ever but for now I'll put it to rest.

The Best To You!

A Friend In Texas.

Chuck

Guest sandtrap
Rob

JP has no defense.

Willing to always help someone. GUILTY

Knows more than anyone about the Minelab detector.GUILTY

Minelab wanting the best nugget hunter to test their detector with a head on his shoulders not up his a--.GUILTY

Meet two times and being down to earth friendly guy.GUILTY

Made DVD's to help us learn more about the detector we had being some didn't get field instructions.GUILTY

Being the man a guy would love to nugget hunt with.GUILTY

Having a wife that I myself would kill for that goes to the end of the earth with him.(I'd say the bush is it)GUILTY

JP your are GUILTY of so much nice things that you do for people I don't know how you live with yourself.

This GUILTY list could go on for ever but for now I'll put it to rest.

The Best To You!

A Friend In Texas.

Chuck

Could not be put any better than you have, Chuck !!

Ha, ha... nothing wrong with Mr. Porter... He is a one man gold vacumn

cleaner-upper!...

Also

Grubstake... nothing wrong with the 2200d... but, it can't find gold

sitting in a garage!...

Also, Sandtrap, no more "next week" stuff! Get out your 4000 and

get it ready... Eolian placers await you!...

Nuf' said... Ol' "Tailgate"

Ha, ha... nothing wrong with Mr. Porter... He is a one man gold vacumn

cleaner-upper!...

Also

Grubstake... nothing wrong with the 2200d... but, it can't find gold

sitting in a garage!...

Also, Sandtrap, no more "next week" stuff! Get out your 4000 and

get it ready... Eolian placers await you!...

Nuf' said... Ol' "Tailgate"

Jim, I think itwas BROKEN when I got from you many years back, It found gold right away, must have been Your signing your name on the coils. And I don't have a garage! only a car port, my trusty 2200 has a place in my work room, It did sneak out this weekend, but only thing I got was a black kitty, with a white stripe down its back. Grubstake :P:P:P;);)

Guest sandtrap

Grub, and Tailgate >> Let's have a 1st reunion ??? El Pasos,Rocky Road ??

We can call it the 1st annual get together.. what say? Maybe between the bunch of us, we can kill the whole skunk family, and maybe chase that big cat ,that is running around Last Chance and Bonanza Gulch, back to Orange County, where it can harass the save the animals hikers !! Think it over The more the merrier !!