gpx settings #2

here are the settings hope you can all try them and see how you go for those of you that like threshold you may not like these settings as you will think the machine is not on good luck give me some feed bak thanks

My settings were as follows - AFTER I HAD TURNED OUT THE THRESHOLD AND TURNED UP THE GAIN AND TURNED ON THE SUPERSOUND.

Front Panel:-

Search Mode - Deep

Soil/Timings - Sensitive

Ground Balance - Tracking

Coil/ RX - Mono

Back Panel.

Volume - 40

Tone - 36

Signal - 20

Tracking - Medium

GB Type - Gen

Sensitive - Smooth

Iron Reject - Off

Manual Tune - 164 (This was selected by the autotune button and I did not change it during the trip).

Audio - Deep

Gain - 15

Motion - Medium

Response - Normal.

If you read my original post again you will see that I only detuned the threshold to try to get the gain up. Also I switched the Supersound enhancer OFF when I was taking the threshold out -- then increased the Gain from & to 15 and Tthen brought the Supersound back which gave me the soft hum I was talking about. The supersoun button was at about 10 o'clock when I had switched it back on.

I feel that you must have the enhancer switched off so that you know when the threshold is silent before you switch the enhancer back on.

I hope this works for you and that you find a heap of gold.

Keep smiling - keep swinging - and good luck.

• Admin

Hello Mono Man,

Well I'm not sure how those settings worked for you in OZ. I know the settings you have above would be really unstable in mineralized ground conditions from my experiences. I will explain what I know about your settings -

You were using Sensitive/Smooth, which is probably the best for mineralized areas. I agree on this!

I see you were using Tracking (Medium), so my best guess is the ground was mineralized. I agree on this!

You're using Deep, probably deeper ground conditions. I agree on this!

However, this is where I see you might of had some serious ground noise issues. You are running your signal at 20. I know when you increase this to a much higher setting past about 15, the GPX-4000 will become a bit more unstable. This could have contributed to more background noise.

With a Audio of Deep, you will also get more background noise. Did you try Normal or Quiet Audio's first? I have noticed Deep makes a difference on deep targets, but really makes the GPX-4000 more unstable, especially the more mineralized the ground conditions are.

I would really question a Gain of 15 on highly mineralized ground conditions. Yes, you get more performance overall with a higher gain, but then again you might loose your very faint targets if the unit is very unstable.

I questions some of the above settings and if you're running your threshold quiet and trying to make up audio with the Signal Enhancer.

From what I know, I would have lowered the signal down to around 15 for starters. I would have dropped my audio back to Normal or Quiet. I would have started my Gain around 10. From these settings along with a very smooth threshold setting (not too high or low) I would have seen how the detector is reacting to the ground conditions. If the unit was very stable I would slowly raise some of my settings to a point where the detector is getting unstable and maybe back down one setting.

The most important thing is too have a very smooth and stable unit, not to have everything maxed out.

Just some of my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Rob the idea behind the higher Gain is to get back what is lost by removing the threshold. I too disagree with Tracking being used with the Smooth mode, however with this technique it might be necessary due to two things, the higher gain and also the inability to hear where the GB is because of the lack of threshold. Perhaps the Slow GB speed might be better when using the Smooth or Enhance timings? I think you will also find here is only using the booster to lift the response after the Gain has lifted the performance.

I run a high Signal position (19) in conjunction with Deep audio all the time in highly mineralised ground here in Australia so don't see why you should have a problem in the States.

The very fact that we can all use different settings and still find gold speaks volumes for the versatitlity of the GPX machines.

JP

PS I have not at this stage had a chance to try out Mono Man's methods but have had good feedback from friends in WA who have, at the moment the jury is still out on outrigth depth but so far it seems to be very succesful on the small gold at depth.

Rob the idea behind the higher Gain is to get back what is lost by removing the threshold. I too disagree with Tracking being used with the Smooth mode, however with this technique it might be necessary due to two things, the higher gain and also the inability to hear where the GB is because of the lack of threshold. Perhaps the Slow GB speed might be better when using the Smooth or Enhance timings? I think you will also find here is only using the booster to lift the response after the Gain has lifted the performance.

I run a high Signal position (19) in conjunction with Deep audio all the time in highly mineralised ground here in Australia so don't see why you should have a problem in the States.

The very fact that we can all use different settings and still find gold speaks volumes for the versatitlity of the GPX machines.

JP

PS I have not at this stage had a chance to try out Mono Man's methods but have had good feedback from friends in WA who have, at the moment the jury is still out on outrigth depth but so far it seems to be very succesful on the small gold at depth.

hi jp these are not my settings as some people have miss read my original post

I thought you were Bogene with a name change? :wacko:

JP

no im a club member of his ggeee copy n pasting in no way was i trying to take credit for his settings

i started off on the wrong foot as a new member of this site he relayed them to us at our agm and if you read his post on the other forum some ot the members tried the settings on an outing and they found 1 @21g 1@5.4 1@3g thats not to say they would"nt have found them in any other settings

I wonder if these settings would work without an amp. I may just give it a try next time out. I know a spot where my hunting partner has pulled a lot of small nugs with his 3500, but got to where he couldn't find any more. I could never get anything off this spot with my 2100, but I went there last week with my 4000 and found two. I was getting a lot of interference from all the radio traffic from the fire fighters near by.

Riverman

I wonder if these settings would work without an amp. I may just give it a try next time out. I know a spot where my hunting partner has pulled a lot of small nugs with his 3500, but got to where he couldn't find any more. I could never get anything off this spot with my 2100, but I went there last week with my 4000 and found two. I was getting a lot of interference from all the radio traffic from the fire fighters near by.

Riverman

Riverman,

If you use no threshold WITHOUT an amp, you won't hear small signals, so no small gold.

If you use the method quoted here with an amp, you should get those small signal's.

That is if there was any gold left there~ :rolleyes: