Selling Gold?

if you have sizeable natural placer gold, your best bet would be to sell it on Ebay or another online auction site; piece by piece or in groups/vials or by weight. You'll get a reasonable offer, and even after the sales clip or paypal clip, will still come out ahead.

If you send your stuff to a refinery, they'll take your mostly bulk gold, melt it down, nick you for impurities (silver, lead, etc), and charge you a handling fee, refining fee, and your overall take will be the actual purity value at 30%- 45% less than spot price.

The third way would be to contact local jewellers that work with natural gold. sure it's tested for purity, but they pay a little better than refiners, even a lot more depending on the character of the product and gold shape, imprints, type, and specimen value.

The fourth way is to sell the goods as specimen (also the ploy with Ebay) for collector sales- pays good.

The fifth way is to sell to museums that are interested in gaining local minerals for their collection.

With any specimen gold, natural gold and nuggets, jewelry rock, ore, there's more money involved in the purchase if a precise site, mine, mine name, and other details are given or furnished. In specimen sales, the purchase prices tend to be way higher than the actual weight worth of the gold itself.

whats4supper,

Thank you for your ideas. I really hesitate to go the refinery route because they do melt it down. These nuggets are mostly a 1dwt up to 7dwt and are at 92fine. Those are mostly from my claim, while some of the others with more character are from the Arizona gold fields and are not as pure, but beautiful. What gold isn't?

I have certainly enjoyed your posts in the past and hope you keep contributing.

I'm leaninng away from the refinery route, though.

Bugler

• 2 months later...

Im not sure what you posted Randy on nuggetshooter but If I may reply............I am always looking to buy gold out right, I offer a lot more than coin or pawn shops If im buying because I will resll it on my site, or you can sell it on my site, I have over 2600 buyers and ALL my listings are FREE. I am not even charging final value fees right now either while Im revamping the site. When the site is totally where I want it to be my basic listings will still be FREE and there will be a minimal final value fee. my site is www.goldbay.com I have met Rob once and he was way nicer in person than on this site!! (lol) kidding Rob, you certainly were a tall bugger though!! and your banner is now up on my site too!!

mlgdave