Hey Grubstake!

Hey Gary, Lets get your mind back on gold. You were raised in Monterey Co., and I was raised in San Luis Obispo Co., so I consider us neighbors. You ever prospect along the coast around Big Sur? We used to find flour gold in the creeks west of Highway 1.

Hendo,

Good topic to start. I think that I read somewhere that the Pajaro River near Watsonville has trace amounts of gold. I think that river is in Santa Cruz County. Maybe it was the Pacheco River? When driving South of Carmel along Highway 1 toward Big Sur there are several areas that have large quartz veins exposed. I always have wondered if they carry. Also, jade beach is close to Big Sur. I will try to get down there and find some jade next time down there. What a beautiful area of California. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

Yes you know down the coast there is the los Burros mining district, Willow creek placers, produced not only gold, but also some Platinum, The queen Hattie mine had Gold running through some of its jade. Anderson Canyon is my old stopping ground, it was used for housing the convits that help log and build hwy 1. lot of old artifacts. Then there bootleggers cove, that was said to have been used by rum and wiskey runners, and a few small forgotten town sites down there also. They say the padres lost mine could be seen fron the bell tower of Carmel mission. So theres alot of history there for sure. Grubstake

If you head in to the los padres National forest, and go to pico Blanko theres also some mines out that way, old mines. Some gold or silver and dolomite was mined down that way. But wheres there is dolomite, there could also be gold. Most of the gold I have ever found down there came off the beaches in the form of jewlery people have lost. Although a good friend of mine, Jim Owens found a $5 gold coin on Monterey beach years back, that was a Shults and Moffit coin, that actioned off for $45,000.00 Grubstake

I've detected some of the old campgrounds at little and big SUR, back before the greenies got it put off limits. I used to pig hunt up in Anderson canyon, and have spent many a day at the old skating ring{roller} out on del monte. My uncle lives in Seaside, up on the hill, just a mile from the beach. Grubstake

Hey Grubstake, I remember a story back in the 1970's Lost Treasure mag about an old miner that had a small vein on Willow Creek. He only took out what he needed to live on. When he passed either by natural causes or bad guys, the vein was lost to history.

Does this sound like the Willow creek you know about From what I gather Willow Creek is a rather common name out there, but the story I think mention the creek emptying into the ocean.

Wyndham

hendo; I don't know how old you are, but I graduated from San Luis High in 1956. I used to do a lot of scuba diving up and down the coast there, plenty of abalone then. Was not into detecting then. John

Grandpa, I graduaded from Arroyo Grande H.S. in 1974. My dad was a abalone diver part time and I hunted them from Point Sal to San Simeon. We also had a ranch out in Pozo. Hendo