Anyone know what the laws are about taking rocks off Forest, BLM and state lands.

thanks

With a valid mining claim you can legally do it but still may have trouble with any field officer you run into. I would take some precautions first like photographing the specimens in situ with a GPS in the pic of the spot just in case you find yourself in court. Its really no different than picking cactus or removing trees without a permit and can land you in trouble.

Azaware,

Here are a few quotes with reference to your question. State Trust lands are a no-no.........

ROCKHOUNDING ON PUBLIC LAND

Rock hounds are welcome to collect rocks and gemstones from most public land administered by the US Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management, but there are some exceptions. Some lands are withdrawn or reserved for certain purposes such as national landmarks, outstanding natural areas, research areas, recreation sites, national historic sites, etc. Rock hounding is usually not permitted in these areas. Rock hounding on valid mining claims is not advised without the locator's consent because of legal problems which might arise between the locator and the collector.

Rockhounding is a permitted recreational activity on public land administered by the Bureau of Land Management. The usual rock hound materials, including agates and stones, may be collected in reasonable quantities for hobby use. Petrified wood collection on BLM lands is limited to 25 pounds plus one piece per day to a maximum of 250 pounds per year.

Here is a link with reference to Arizona............

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Rec_Ed/rockhound.html

Hope that this in some way provides an answer to your question.....

Jim

Learned something new from this but I was thinking of the large boulders of quartz or granite I have seen people trying to winch into their trucks for yard decorations. One of the claims we have is loaded with the large decomposing granite boulders and I've thought of mining them and checked with BLM about that which is where I took my answer from that you need a claim to do so.

Azaware,

Here are a few quotes with reference to your question. State Trust lands are a no-no.........

ROCKHOUNDING ON PUBLIC LAND

Rock hounds are welcome to collect rocks and gemstones from most public land administered by the US Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management, but there are some exceptions. Some lands are withdrawn or reserved for certain purposes such as national landmarks, outstanding natural areas, research areas, recreation sites, national historic sites, etc. Rock hounding is usually not permitted in these areas. Rock hounding on valid mining claims is not advised without the locator's consent because of legal problems which might arise between the locator and the collector.

Rockhounding is a permitted recreational activity on public land administered by the Bureau of Land Management. The usual rock hound materials, including agates and stones, may be collected in reasonable quantities for hobby use. Petrified wood collection on BLM lands is limited to 25 pounds plus one piece per day to a maximum of 250 pounds per year.

Here is a link with reference to Arizona............

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Rec_Ed/rockhound.html

Hope that this in some way provides an answer to your question.....

Jim