What PI detector did you find you biggest nugget with?

Guest goldstudmuffin

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

keeping it all back on track, here's the photo of the 3.6 ouncer: nuggetamp.jpg

I was wrong about the depth and coil etc....got it confused with a 2 ouncer found in the same spot :blush: Found this one with a 17UFO

@ 16" depth. Izzy still uses this pic on the home page of his website. I still lament not having pics of the 4.1 ouncer....they got deleted by accident :angry: All I have is the memories.....

For more Oz gold pics, take a look at my photobucket album:

http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/Pennyweight_au/

Cheers, Dwt

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Bunk - Congrats on your big nugget! Good to hear you're still around.

Dwt - Very nice nugget. Was it found with the SD2000 or SD2100? Looks like your using one of Ismael's mods, correct? Heard Izzy is out in the field prospecting right now.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

So you are saying that changing a Crystal ruined his detector? Funny how he has never emailed or rang me up to tell me of this, all that would happen by increasing the frequency is that the ground balance would track faster. As the processor being the the Hitachi H8 series can be run at 20 Mhz I fail to see how this ruined his detector?

Please enlighten me, are you Narrawa? Strange that you are acting as you are his mouth piece. Could you tell Narrawa that if he sends the detector back to me that I will replace the 35 cent Crystal with a correct factory spec 4.00 Mhz one.

Allow me to help with some of the misunderstandings within this thread.

I would have stepped in earlier but acceptance to the forum took a few days. I believe the post is about # 21 from the top of the page.

I will be contacting the owner of the said detector to see whether or not he is interested in having it put back to std by the modder or by ML at the modders expense.

This will be between him & the modder, not me.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/general-dis...h-mods-t620.htm

Now, regarding "That" 3500M....it was supplied by me to 'Alluvium' to test for only 2 days. Its owner was coming up from NSW to collect it and couldn't be in JC's hands longer than that. It was modded by Izzy, NOT Woody. Izzy is the only bloke to have offered that overclock mod on ANY GP as a commercial offering. All the other ones done by Woody have been on an experimental basis. I believe the number is small. The 3500 in question was stated by Izzy to be a slightly poor version. Tolerances were low and he said that mods on better quality 35's would be a lot more obvious. My testing showed that the sensitivity and depth on small gold was very obvious on my test patch. Friends using their 4500's (in enhance) with same coils on the same un-dug small targets couldn't get the same signal quality as the 3500M. JT is in a couple of videos stating just that....and he loves his 4500! I have now used 5 different modded GP's by both Woody and Izzy. The increase in depth on small targets is obvious, even to the beginner operator. The fact that I can go anywhere and ping small gold on totally flogged spots

at ease is proof enough for me.

I normally do not get involved in these type of posts but to set the record straight on the CPU crystal mod, I DEFINITELY WAS NOT the first to offer it commercially as you all know it came from Woody, I have so far had 4 people send me their Woody modded detector to have this mod switched as I FIRST offered it so they can revert to standard. I no longer, for a few months now, offer that mod as my own experience with it is as I always suggested not a viable mod with no perceived advantages. Oh and before you say Woody doesn't do it anymore the last one I had was just before I went out a few weeks back and had been modded by woody in May! ALL the mods I do and most of Woody's came from ZED who done these years ago and tested them. I get sick to death of all the incredible percentages that some suggest are gained with the mods. If I took all of these mods and combined them from reports from those modders then we should have detectors that will go 20ft deep on the highest of mineralisation!! With gain and timing mods there are always benefits but also there are the downsides.

Inhere, calling me a liar just proves what a fool you are. Even when the evidence is presented to you, you close your eyes, place hands on ears and yell "LALALALALA" and make a goose of yourself. Stay on Finders where you belong. You are despised on most credible OZ prospecting forums, even Izzy's. How Izzy has managed to keep you onside with him is testimony only to his kind, tolerating manner, not your input. The offending video is here for those interested:

I have no reason to dislike Inhere and appreciate any comments from skeptics without the need to lower myself to insults. So long as they do likewise and not be antagonistic this is the case. This achieves nothing and so far ALL the comments Inhere has made have been directed at the inaccuracies of the claims made by those that hype the ability of the mods. This could easily go away if they stopped making these ridiculous claims to make a dollar! As I say to all I do charge a fee but it is pretty much standard for all detectors only the 2000 is the most expensive as I put in additional circuit boards and they are a real bitch to work on and very time consuming. This is besides the point and Inhere and others have never bad mouthed me, they also have not had me mod their detectors either so why is it then they always have a go at others and not me? Could it be because I tell the downsides and not just the upsides and make sure that people can revert to standard? When the charges for modding are so much and the parts so cheap what is the problem with adding a $1.50 switch so it can be reverted to standard? :spank:

It doesn't worry me whether I do mods or not and is up to the individuals whether they want me or someone else to do the mod. I have no need to promote myself or the mods and whether mods work or not is debatable and that is why I always suggest to people to ask those that have the mods rather than take it from me. I for one have said to people now that when some dealers are offering incredible trade in offers on the 4500 (such as only a AUD$1500 outlay after trade in) why pay $600 or more to mod your detector? I would rather have the 4500 even though my detector runs pretty damn good! :blink:

Unfortunately my biggest nugget to date is only around 4 grams but I never seem to walk over anything substantial. I must be holding my mouth wrong!! Also I don't get out a lot except for lately but my last 3 week trip was a disaster with only around 16-20 hours of detecting time due to rain... :blush: :blush:

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi All,

I found my biggest nugget at 21 inches with a SD 2100 with Ismael's DAE mod on it.

Ismael, sorry I should visit your site more often... I was calling it a GPM modd. :blush: I'll have the GPM mod soon enough! :rolleyes:

I hope you're ready to do the proper mods on 4 detectors.

Here's my DAE made by Ismael, I ran it for 3 or 4 years and I love it. The smallest nugget in the picture is just over an ounce.

post-42-1247811077_thumb.jpg

post-42-1247811181_thumb.jpg

Hi Izzy,

we all know you are a complete gentleman and tell it like you see it. I do the same. 'Inhere' has posted a large number of insulting, defamatory and malicious posts on a great many subjects on at least 3 forums. He is regarded by many as a serial pest. Enough said.

I have seen a few Woody modded detectors from January-March which DIDN'T have the overclock mod on them. I think Woody admits maybe a dozen(?) O/C modded units by him.

Yes, he invented the concept and like you, sees no future use in it.

The claims of extraordinary depths achieved are overkill. So far, with GP units, I can see obvious depth increases in gold under 5gm and sub-grammers. At best, maybe 20% (but that is stretching it)...it depends on coil selection and ground mineralization. I do know, that using a modded unit with a small coil reaps serious dividends. I have seen for myself it beating a 4500 in both normal timings and Enhance. This was with both an ExtremeM and a 3500M. Not by much of course, but the fact that there was no signal over small gold (and lead shot) targets with a 4500 and the modded units were easily heard surprised me too. Scratch away a bit of dirt and the 4500 boomed in. It takes very little extra sensitivity & depth to find missed targets. My 2 test patches have proved this consistently. Just the other day, I heard a flat .22 bullet with an ExtremeM that a std 3000 couldn't hear. Both same coils, same settings. It proved that there is a benefit in modding your old unit rather than spending big to upgrade for better results. I will get around to testing on large targets soon when I get hold of an 18" mono.

Cheers, Dwt

I find it very difficult to believe that Ismael saw a detector that I did in May with an overclock mod? I have only carried out very few of these types of mods, maybe only 4 detectors. Now I stopped doing the Overclocking in December! Now this business about mods being turned off and on by a switch is mighty fine if all you are doing is putting a switch in to change the eprom address. So yes you can turn it on and off the same as the diffent pulse timings but these are very simplistic mods that a detector owner can do themselves.

Now I change the following, Input N and P channel Fets, 15 volt output Fet, Increase the drive current to the Fets, replace the input dual gate clamps with better specification devices, add power supply filter capacitors, trim the feedback resistors on opamps, change the input cores to low loss types, add bypassing to the stabiliizer stage, change ground points to reduce current noise in the front end and others that are detector model specific. These cannot be changed by a switch, if a detector can have its mods turned off then back on its a very simple mod.

PS...I did not invent the overclocking mod, it was Mick , Nanotek electronics that was carrying out this mod in W.A last year.

A mod analogy...Have car, install bigger carby and extractors, turn said devices on and off, its exactly the same concept.

And while some think that they are made from Teflon, why did i get a phone call from a certain person from this forum in the U.S that asked me how to remove the mods from his GPX4000 that started failing after 5 minutes that was modded by someone other than me? Someone who shall remain nameless!

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I think it's great you all can talk about your mods, but don't let this turn into a "He Said, She Said," deal. I've personally never had one of my units modded, but know of many others that have and swear by them. I've only seen Ismael's mods and know of many that are very happy with them. I can't vouch for Woody's mods, but that is not saying they are no good. I'm sure both guys do great service.

Many seems to think that when they have a older unit modded, it's going to make it into a GPX-5000!!! I think some of the mods can help target certain things, but I don't believe you're going to mod an older Minelab and get all the advantages you will get with a GPX-4500.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison