Scored a nice one!

Hi all, it's been a while since I've nailed a decent sized nugget, especially since I'm hunting for meteorites most of the time. The last time I scored some nice sized nuggets was in September of '08. Went to the goldfields with a confident attitude and a little different settings on my GPX-4000 this weekend and boy did it pay off!-

Nugs.jpg

First nugget was a 0.90 grammer about 10" deep, second was a 12.5 grammer about 14-16" deep. Both were found using a 14" round mono coil swinging extra slow, scrubbing the ground, and digging everything. The 12.5 grammer barely broke the threshold and sounded more like ground noise than a deep target at first. The signal was repeating the same in all directions and deserved a scrape off the top. I scraped a little off the top and the signal got louder, gave out a nice soft wee-woo sound and peaked a little higher than a hot rock. Then I knew it was definitely a target so I kept digging and it kept getting louder and louder. After I got down to around 12" deep the target was screaming and difficult to locate so I had to break out a pin pointer... my Whites GMT. The GMT was giving me a huge "zip zip" sound and the meter was registering well below 25% iron probability... I knew there was a good chance it was gold by then and maybe a good sized nugget too! Dug down a couple more inches and pinpointed again. No target so it had to be somewhere in the hole. Waved the GMT around a little more and got a booming signal on a clay covered rock. Reached in picked it up and all I could feel the weight, there was no doubt it was a nugget now! Had to clean it off a little bit before I saw the glitter of gold. Gave me an ear to ear smile! :D

Enjoy!

Del

Nice one Del! Nugget season is finally here. That big gold nugget sure is sweet. Congradulations. I love when those ground noises repeat from every direction. I hope you get over some more. Take care.

Matt

PS-Do you have your GMT outfitted with the little 3x6 shooter coil or did you have a huge hole?

Hi all, it's been a while since I've nailed a decent sized nugget, especially since I'm hunting for meteorites most of the time. The last time I scored some nice sized nuggets was in September of '08. Went to the goldfields with a confident attitude and a little different settings on my GPX-4000 this weekend and boy did it pay off!-

Nugs.jpg

First nugget was a 0.90 grammer about 10" deep, second was a 12.5 grammer about 14-16" deep. Both were found using a 14" round mono coil swinging extra slow, scrubbing the ground, and digging everything. The 12.5 grammer barely broke the threshold and sounded more like ground noise than a deep target at first. The signal was repeating the same in all directions and deserved a scrape off the top. I scraped a little off the top and the signal got louder, gave out a nice soft wee-woo sound and peaked a little higher than a hot rock. Then I knew it was definitely a target so I kept digging and it kept getting louder and louder. After I got down to around 12" deep the target was screaming and difficult to locate so I had to break out a pin pointer... my Whites GMT. The GMT was giving me a huge "zip zip" sound and the meter was registering well below 25% iron probability... I knew there was a good chance it was gold by then and maybe a good sized nugget too! Dug down a couple more inches and pinpointed again. No target so it had to be somewhere in the hole. Waved the GMT around a little more and got a booming signal on a clay covered rock. Reached in picked it up and all I could feel the weight, there was no doubt it was a nugget now! Had to clean it off a little bit before I saw the glitter of gold. Gave me an ear to ear smile! :D

Enjoy!

Del

Del congrats! Very impressive. I'm envious (spelling)

Tx

Hi all thanks for the congrats, it’s nice to nail something other than small dinks. Matt I had the stock DD coil on my GMT. Ron I was using a NF 14†mono coil.

I’ll probably head back to the same spot and go over it again with larger coils to see if I can nail some more. Hopefully I can but if not that’s just the way it goes!

Del