Going to Aussie, Need tips

Yo, All...Dodacious surprised me a few days back with the news that we most likely will be going to Australia in April...Queensland, in the Towns something area...I know zip about it...As I educate myself, I want to tap into the knowledge you guys have so I can ship it all back in a cargo container :D :D :D ...Cheers, Unc

Yo, Ron. The only tip I can give you, is everyone says its cheaper to buy a vehicle to drive while your there, rather than renting one, then sell just before you come back, that way you get most of your money back. And a fossilicing ? permitt, for gold hunting. Grubstake

Chris G is selling a new book by Doug Stone. I've seen the book and looked at it, and while the price of $100 is pretty hefty, its well worth the price if you are headed to OZ. Its an encyclopedia of places all over the country where gold has been found. It would take 10 or 20 books to get the same info.

The link is :

http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7908

Chris

Yo, All...Dodacious surprised me a few days back with the news that we most likely will be going to Australia in April...Queensland, in the Towns something area...I know zip about it...As I educate myself, I want to tap into the knowledge you guys have so I can ship it all back in a cargo container :D :D :D ...Cheers, Unc

Ron,

All I can say is I'm very jealous! I think everyone on this forum would like to stowaway in your checked baggage!!! ( any possibilities?)

Wish you nothing but the very best of luck. I hope you are able to hit it big and leave the country with your finds. Just don't loose your backpack!

h20prospector

Hello Ron, there's a metal detector club in Townsville (550 Klms up the road from me). I have friends in Charters Towers (which has been a prolific gold producer in the past) who often get out and about finding nuggets and specimens with their detectors, the Towers is about 150 Klm West from Townsville. Charters Towers was a pretty big deal back in the 1800's, so much so it had it's own stock exchange. My mate found a speci up there a couple of years back that had over a kilo of gold enclosed (2 pounds) and I know of another guy who found a solid nugget that was over 100 OZ so your always in with a chance of a big one turning up.

JP

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

I would suggest getting Doug Stone's new book. It's a bit expensive at $100, but man it's like a colored Bible of gold locations. I also carry the book now and have them in stock, but might be just as easy to pick it up from Chris if you're going to get one.

Wishing you the best,

Rob Allison

Hi Ron

Lee Burke here, I live in Townsville NQ if you are heading this way drop me a line I would only be to happy to point you in the right direction I have access to private property where I have found gold am the only one with access to one place where i found a 6ozer, access to properties is the big issue in this area, The metal detecting club of which I am a member organises upto 6 trips a year joining fee is approx $40 these guys have over 30 years exp in this area. I can give you the low down on the research tools that I use (I have not seen the Doug Stone book) I use Gold & Ghost's & department of mines website.

This is a great part of the world you will enjoy it.

cheers

Lee

Ron,

We've been going over most years since '96. Since we live so close (I'm in North Ranch), we ought to get together, and I'll provide what info I have.

We're probably leaving in April for 4 months, when are you leaving?

Gary

Hello Ron, there's a metal detector club in Townsville (550 Klms up the road from me). I have friends in Charters Towers (which has been a prolific gold producer in the past) who often get out and about finding nuggets and specimens with their detectors, the Towers is about 150 Klm West from Townsville. Charters Towers was a pretty big deal back in the 1800's, so much so it had it's own stock exchange. My mate found a speci up there a couple of years back that had over a kilo of gold enclosed (2 pounds) and I know of another guy who found a solid nugget that was over 100 OZ so your always in with a chance of a big one turning up.

JP

JP after reading your post I got excited, great info. Ive been thinking about Australia for some time. Now if I can just talk Ron into adding another bag to his luggage. :ph34r::) AzNuggetBob

Thank you everyone for your responses...I'm starting to get excited about this trip...We're going on business and then will extend our trip a week or so for gold hunting...Dodacious really surprised me on this one...Sort of, "Oh, by the way, I have to go to Queensland, Australia early next year...Want to come along?" ... We'll be in Townsville on the business part... I'm wondering if I should rent detector equipment when I get there (if possible) or just drag my Ol' Baboo SD2100 and a couple of coils along....The Charters Tower area sounds really exciting from the little online research I've had time to do...I would probably join the local club if it will give me a better opportunity...Or maybe there's a better plan??? This has been such a surprise to me...I never dreamed I'd get the chance to beep Aussie!!! Thanks for your replies so far and I hope you'll continue with the ideas and encouragement ....Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron

Just brainstorming on your up coming trip downunder, Is there anything else that you may be interested in eg, Barra fishing, reef fishing, pig hunting, as I have mates with boats & my brother is a pro shooter (pigs, roo's)

just let me know & I can organise something.

cheers

Lee

Yo Lee...That sounds interesting because Dodacious is not all that hot on beeping, but she's a fishing freak...Maybe we can put together a gold and fishing experience...What's the weather like there in April? ...I REALLY want to find a good Aussie chunk of gold and if we could couple that with some fishing it would be great...

My direct email is ron@az-gold.com ...Let me know what our possibles may be...Cheers, Unc

Ron good luck to ya on your adventure down under, maybe get lucky and score a piece of that Aussie gold. :) From what Ive read its a good Idea to do a group trip for a lot of reasons if you think about going back looking for gold. Im a little surprised Montana has not jumped in more on this one. AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob...You know, I completely forgot to ask Montana about it yesterday...We were beeping the Vultures together and I just spaced it... Must have been the noise...Startin' to get crowded out there these days...:blush: Cheers, Unc

Ron good luck to ya on your adventure down under, maybe get lucky and score a piece of that Aussie gold. :) From what Ive read its a good Idea to do a group trip for a lot of reasons if you think about going back looking for gold. Im a little surprised Montana has not jumped in more on this one. AzNuggetBob

Ron I think that that is great. I can't waite until we read all about your trip. Doug