Headphones

Right now I have some cheapie full ear muff style headphones. Something a friend gave me that he got from walmart. When I was out yesterday two things bugged me. It was too hot and you definitely don't want to be wearing black earmuffs when it's 100 degrees out. And also because I live in the valley and it's hot, I always wear a brimmed hat, but you can't wear a brimmed hat with headphones.

So I picked up a set of over the head earbud style headphones today. They are 32 ohms just like my full size ones. I tried them out and they sound just as good as my full size, and I can wear a hat comfortably. They have great volume and I can hear all the sounds just like on the other ones. I figured if I'm going to use cheap headphones I might as well be comfortable.

Any thoughts on these?

headphones

I appreciated the input earlier on headphones, I'll have to find something good quality, but also usable for me.

• Admin

Hello Wjbell,

In my honest opinion, when it comes to headphones, I say buy the best you can. Audio and faint targets is important to me, so I like to know I'm not missing much. I've seen the difference (side by side) from cheaper headphones to better quality ones.

I swear by the DetectorPro Black Widow headphones. They are a bit pricy at $126.00 per pair, but they seem to work the best on the Minelab PI's. I've been using the DetectorPro headphones for over 10 years with great success, from the Gray Ghost, Nuggetbusters and now the Black Widows. The Black Widows are 150 ohms.

I always have them in stock if you're interested.

Many really like the stock Koss UR-30's that come with the Minelab PI's also.

The way I see it, don't sell yourself short when you have a $3000-$5000 detector and use $15 headphones on it.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob,

I love my Black Widow's. I really think they give me and edge when out detecting. They are very rugged, cause I don't cut them much slack. I've dragged them through mud/clay, rain, dusty tails and stretch the cord to the max around tree limbs and they still work like, day one.

Rick

I've sent mine in to the mfg. once developed a short to the left side from wear and tear, they fixed them at no charge an mailed em back.I could be mistaken but I think they stand behind them with a Lifetime Warranty, don't know for sure but I do know they are great.

wjbell,

Rob carries DOCs Te-shirt cap that covers your head, neck & ears to protect them from the sun. + It makes wearing head phones, easy. It also wicks away sweat.

There are also others that make Foreign Legion hats that have cloth sides and back section & have velcro fasteners so the panels can be easly removed, for cleaning. (also headphone friendly)

I also have Blackwidows Head Phones, which I got when I owned a ML 3500 . . . Still use them with other detectors.

One of the big things not mensioned (because many of us have some hearing damage) is that having volume control for each side helps you adjust sound as each ear may need a differant volume. + I've had to detect by people who are using external speakers (that is annoying).

wonderer

Blackwidows are the headset of choice.....period. They extremely sensitive and are very responsive. I must admit I did damage a pair, but I sent it in and they fixed it for free! If money is not an issue that's the way to go. If the heat is a bear then I recommend an external speaker placed on your shoulder of your camelbak or on the detector arm cuff.Guido

wjbell,

Those over the head style look comfortable and everything, but there may be a significant problem with exterior noise cancellation. The Black Widow headphones are awesome at noise cancellation. The other issue I would see with that type is the quality. Personally, my headphones take quite a beating in a hardcore detecting environment, and I would bet that those would not last but a trip or three with me. I usually carry back-up headphones in my truck, and a set of true earbuds plus a cheap small external speaker in the hydro. As others have said the Black Widows have tolerated alot of abuse from me over the years, and I do believe they carry a lifetime warantee. I registered my set right after the purchase.

BTW, I do believe that they make (or you could make) a wide brim hat that you can use normal headphones with.

Personally I do not use the inhibitor with the Black Widows, although I probably should. The only concern I could see is when running a DD coil and in Disc. If you have the inhibitor on, and you are running in Disc. mode, the headphones will blank out because of loud targets, and the Minelab would blank out on ferrous metal. So the problem would be deciphering which product was blanking out...the Minelab or the headphones.

If I knew how to use the Disc +I.D. , that would probably elleviate the problem.

Archived