Minelab or Gold Bug 2

I have a GPX-5000 but I'm looking to get another detector to find the very small surface nuggets.

I have heard the Gold Bug 2 is a great unit (the original one, not the new one being manufactured in Texas).

My question is am I better off getting an original Gold Bug 2 or is their a similar Minelab machine with the same frequency and sensitivity?

Thanks for your suggestions.

J.R.

allen,if im not mistaken the minelab gpx 5000 will find the smallest nuggets avail. i know the little dinks i found were only 2-3 inches deep.i was using the 11in mono coil.im sure the 8 in mono would be more sensitive to smaller stuff.but a gpx 5000 in any mode will out perform most detectors from what i been reading.im using a gpx 5000,its new to me,but im finding some stuff so small i can barely see it.others will jump in soon.i dont know much about the goldbug 2,but im sure the minelab will find smaller,and the closer to the surface the louder it will be.look back at my post that says first 2 nuggets finnaly. i have a pic just to show you how small they are.one is round,just a tad bigger than a bb. the other is so flat,you cant see it sideways lol.im not kiddin either.im surfe the minelab punches deeper than most as well, but im almost possitive it will find the smalles closer to the surface over the goldbug 2 as well.but i may be wrong.im just learning,but i spend all day reading info when i cant work or be out in the field.here is a pick of the 2 dinks i found.you can see how small they are.just under the surface.

john

post-423-129445132453_thumb.jpg

I have a GPX-5000 but I'm looking to get another detector to find the very small surface nuggets.

I have heard the Gold Bug 2 is a great unit (the original one, not the new one being manufactured in Texas).

My question is am I better off getting an original Gold Bug 2 or is their a similar Minelab machine with the same frequency and sensitivity?

Thanks for your suggestions.

J.R.

IMHO----

@ john...Those "dinks" are huge nuggets compared to the "dinks" I have found with the GB2...LOL

J.R.----I am serious, the GB2 found stuff I couldn't believe, but don't trust my judgement, the rest of the force on here will respond for you.

Seems like everyone I know finds their patches with the Minelabs, and then they clean 'em up with the GB2, ........plus they are so light to work with, especially once you know you got the gold.

I love mine!

paul

I love the GPX's' they are the best for real depth... but when it comes to tiny surface gold, the Gold Bug 2(small coil) will find the tiny stuff invisible to a GPX (i've seen it happen).

Other sensitive VLF detectors, for the really small stuff, are the Eureka and X-TERA 705.

Out of the Gold Bug, Eureka and the 705, I would choose the 705 because of its all round versatility.

There are I believe 480 grains to an oz troy...the goldbug 2 and the small coil will find bits smaller than 1/10 of a grain...too small to weigh on a balance beam powder scale....

I think a small coil for your Minelab would be a better choice...

if you really want the tinest bits on the surface get a drywasher...

fred

A friend of mine using a gp3500 with a 14" round mono coil found in the scrappings of the top with his boot a piece of gold the size of a mouse turd

sorry about the discription but thats the best for the sizes

Roger

actually, the smaller one is alot smaller and lighter than ya think.it is paper thin,the bigger nugget one is same size as a bb.they just look big next to that dime.and i found the smaller one about 3-4 inches just under the surface.it sounded off very clear,so im sure this 5000 will find smaller as well.i was using the 11in mono.im no expert on the small stuff, but i found metal shavings ya cant see hardly, and stiff so small,the tinest birdshot possible on surface and couple inches deep.if i need something to find gold smaller than that,id just rather not find it.but im sure the 5000 will find alot smaller than what i found.it shows .2 grains on my scale.and its smashed flat about the size of a small bird shot flattened out.if ya think spending the extra money for the smaller stuff is worth it then thats up to you,im just learning and all these guys here know alot more than i do. in my opinion, id rather not dig stuff so small ya barely see it. i know it all ads up, but id start panning or drywashing again if i wanted fine gold.but im sure if i used the 8in mono id find smaller than the 11in mono did.today i went out and used the 12x15in mono, boy did that dude wear out my arm,i dont use the bungy so it was alot tougher than i thought,i hung in there,swung it for about 4 hours then took 20 min break,then back at it a few more.i swing non stop so my skinny arms get a burnin lol.i was digging 22 casings on the tops of hills at about 12-16 inches.how does a 22 casing get 16 in deep on the top of a hill,i dont mean the side on top. im talking about the very top.well. it was a very nice day out there,had to dig in wet soil,but sun shinning and i got warm and took off my jacket.found some new ground to check out.

john

try a joey mono coil on your 5000 or a goldstalker 6.5 i cant imagine wanting to find smaller gold than you could find with these coils, dont get me wrong i love my old GB its more of a backup though and it picks up alot of hotrocks (waisting time digging worthless targets) either way you cant go wrong whatever you decide.

Why not have the best of both worlds? Yeah the Minelab PI's can pick up small nuggets but really small nuggets are a lot easier to pick up with a VLF. Sometimes you get into places where a VLF is a better tool for the job. Not to mention you can also use it as a pinpointer when you get REALLY deep targets with your Minelab PI.

I considered selling my VLF after getting the 5000, but am glad I hung on to it.

One technique I like is "clearing" an area with the VLF, then going back over it with the 5000. The easier pinpointing with the VLF is part of the reason for that.

The VLF was unusable at the beach recently (due to high black sand concentrations & hot rocks) where the 5000 did fine in all settings except Coin & Relic.

There may also be times when you don't want folks in an area knowing you even Have a 5000 (hood rats,etc) ;)

Archived