hand held gps

I just bought a 5-inch Android tablet with full GPS capabilities.

12-GPS.jpg

I wanted something easy to use, portable and also can serve as my video/music player and browse the internet when I'm in the hills. It can tether to my cell phone and ride off it's data plan to gain access to the net when I'm in the field.

Here's the information link:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/index.html?country=ph〈=en

Hey Harvey,

don't do as i did.....learn which GPS will marry to Footprints ...that is IF you are in the neighborhood...

..[i can tell you this Magellan doesn't...i got a Triton 2000 with Nat Geo maps that doesnt link well with Footprints....yeah i know I should have asked like you are!

Anyway, I have a good Triton top o' the line for sale... ONLY if you are not in the neighborhood where we use "Footprints"

cause i wouldn't sell it to anyone who likes, or wants to use Footprints, like I do.

paul

ps i got a PN 40 now....DeLorme.....yep....

Oh and to Archos...i got "Backcountry Navigator" on my Samsung Tab which was nice, but inaccurate at times..I sent the Tab back because I found out it was not going to be able to accept the new OS coming out soon......when Android 3.0 comes out i will probably get another one and Flash it so the phone will work too..., along with all the other goodies..

Hey Harvey,

don't do as i did.....learn which GPS will marry to Footprints ...that is IF you are in the neighborhood...

..[i can tell you this Magellan doesn't...i got a Triton 2000 with Nat Geo maps that doesnt link well with Footprints....yeah i know I should have asked like you are!

Anyway, I have a good Triton top o' the line for sale... ONLY if you are not in the neighborhood where we use "Footprints"

cause i wouldn't sell it to anyone who likes, or wants to use Footprints, like I do.

paul

ps i got a PN 40 now....DeLorme.....yep....

Hi Paul, Thanks for the recommendation! :D

I should make it clear though that we will support any GPS unit that allows us to.

The Magellan Triton series has locked out ALL third party developers, not just FootPrints.

Other Magellans work fine. As do virtually all hand held GPS units - even the older black and white units with a serial cable connection.

If anyone has a problem using their GPS with FootPrints software contact us and we will do whatever we can to find a way to interface with your unit.

Keep in mind that if your GPS unit does not record waypoints or tracks NO software can display your data. Most car type GPS units can only accept Routes.

Clay

MinerDiggins

Subscribe to the NewDiggins Newsletter

Hey Steve, Can you download google earth on that? How much was it?

I just bought the Archos 5 two days ago and it arrived today. Still unopened. It's an Android OS, so any compatible apps including Google Earth will work, however, I think it has its own sweet GPS system that is superior to Google Earth. I'll report back in a few days. Also, the unit has 500Gb of storage capacity. I can store all my movies, pictures, music in one spot.

I got it for $239 shipped a couple days ago at an Amazon sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC

http://www.talkandroid.com/28954-archos-5-tablets-on-sale-today-only-at-amazon-com-500gb-half-price/

Archived