free shovel

hello all, i got in the mail today delivered from ups a free shovel. its a small one but i definately didnt order it. wooden handle with minelab stamped on the side,nice heavy duty sovel about 2ft long. anyone else get one of these. didnt have any order form or anything saying why i received it. but hey im not gonna complain. its perfect sized little guy.

john

I didn't get any shovel in the mail and don't want any shovel. How about lowering the price of the detector or give me something I can use, not a piece of crap. When is the last time anybody carried a shovel with them when they went out detecting for gold?

Edit: I was feeling a little bit ornery last night and changed some verbage from my post.

I got mine a few days before Christmas. I thought it was a present from someone but nobody owned up to sending it. No explaination in or on the package other than Minelab logo on the shovel handle. It is a handy size for the truck tool box and that's where it went. Might get me out of the sand or mud some day.----Bob

its definately a neat little guy. im not gonna complain, as it was free. its small enough to carry in the feild. would be awesome for coin or relic hunting. i got the new pro gold pick so i wont be toting it along in hand, but will take it with me .never know when ya might have to dig few feet down.and its pretty heavy duty for its size. doesnt seem like it was cheaply made.my package had a lable from minelab on it. i thought my uncle who is always buying off ebay ordered somethin in my name, but he didnt so its mine.im glad to have it, wheather i ever use it or not, free is nice.

john

I didn't get any shovel in the mail and don't want any shovel. How about lowering the price of the detector or give me something I can use, not a piece of crap. When is the last time anybody carried a shovel with them when they went out detecting for gold?

Edit: I was feeling a little bit ornery last night and changed some verbage from my post. Matt my sons carry a shovel with them. But they only go for the big Gold.

Edit: I was feeling a little bit ornery last night and changed some verbage from my post.

i can almost guarantee that if ya was at a gold show and the minelab booth was just handing them out, all of you would be in line, and better yet, i didnt have to stand in line, it just showed up unexpectantly. its ok matt, if ever we meet and get together, i might let ya touch it or even take your pic with it, of coarse id need to hold a small nugget for collateral in case ya didnt wanna give it back! lmao

john

I gotta agree with Matt on this one, even his cleaned up version :lol:

think how you must, but truth is they didnt have to send anything. it was free and unexpected.they did it on their own, wasnt included with any purchase. so im very appreciative of the fact that i got one. im sure ill find some use for it sometime.

john

think how you must, but truth is they didnt have to send anything. it was free and unexpected.they did it on their own, wasnt included with any purchase. so im very appreciative of the fact that i got one. im sure ill find some use for it sometime.

john

John,

These days nothing is free. All of us that have purchased a $5000 detector (or several $5k detectors) paid for those shovels. It just proves how much they make from these units. I am not bashing Minelab, I will buy every new gold detector that hits the market, they make the best. I just think that if they are going to send out a "freebee" that it be something of use, like a pick or a control box cover. I have never met a person that carries a shovel while they detect.

Matt

John,

These days nothing is free. All of us that have purchased a $5000 detector (or several $5k detectors) paid for those shovels. It just proves how much they make from these units. I am not bashing Minelab, I will buy every new gold detector that hits the market, they make the best. I just think that if they are going to send out a "freebee" that it be something of use, like a pick or a control box cover. I have never met a person that carries a shovel while they detect.

Matt

Matt if you want mail that shovel to me here in Phoenix. I can't afford a 5000 so I didn't get one. LOL I know a few people that keep that shovel in the quad bag.

Guest sandtrap

Hey Matt

in answer to your question"Who uses a shovel" ? I do; a long handled one, with a small head on it. I need it to help me get up, using it sort of, like a crutch. Osteoarthritis in my knees keeps me from just jumping up after digging a target. Good for digging under the bushes,and, keeping critters away. Some of us old guys need a crutch ..

well i definately like the lttle shovel, they didnt have to send anything. its not a big shovel, its only 2 ft long, the head is like 8 1/2 in x 5 1/2 in. its a sturdy little thing. and until i got my propick, it was hard diggin some lead at 2ft deep with just a pick. this little dude could have dug it easy. i carry my pick in a holster on my side. might as well carry the little shovel as well. it will have its use. i unsderstand that you would expect more, but i wasnt expecting anything, except what i agrred to purchase.

john

I was surprised too when I had a knock on the door and a big brown trunk drove away, only to find a box on the door step. I had no idea who may have sent me something or what was inside the box. After I opened it up, I was still a little confused. Then I saw the Minelab logo on it, I checked their web site and it said they were going to send them to the first five hundred people that sent in their warranty cards. I'm not going to use it while I'm out detecting, but it fits nice it the storage compartment of my quad. I too would have liked to have gotten something more useful, but I'm with you John, I didn't ask for it and I got it anyway. I just look at it as I got the detector for free and bought a five thousand plus shovel. :lol::P

sourdough

thanks sourdough, i was just sharing a moment of surprise. glad all who got one did. it will have its use somewhere. not that its something special or well sought after. but cool none the less.

john

• Admin

Hello All,

The Minelab shovels were for customers that purchased the first couple hundreds GPX5000's in the US. I know many of my customers received them and were happy. It might be just a shovel, but it's free and might come in use somewhere down the line. Toss it in your vehicle and hope you never have to use it, but if you do, you know it's there.

A couple of years ago Minelab gave away the small coin/relic digging shovel/knives, some customers loved them, while others hated them. You can never please everyone.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Archived