Greaterville, AZ Safety

I'm looking at heading out to some claims in Greaterville, AZ that I have access to this coming weekend and was wondering if anyone had any recent info about safety there, especially since it's so close to the AZ/Mexico border.

Thanks in advance.

Kajun

You guys that live in AZ are lucky you can legally ccw without a permit.

Yes and no. I have permit and I think it's a good idea. The training is full of good information and the permit is recognized in mulitple states. But I open carry when I hunt, first shot is snake shot and I want to draw quick. I think you have more to worry about with snake in GV then bandidos. TXK I maybe down there next weekend too, PM me if you want to meet and hunt, but I may go to the AZO forum event?????

• Admin

Hey TX,

I spent several years hunting Greaterville with some partners and we done everyting from Tent camp to sleeping in vehicles. I ran into illegals many times, but for the most part they are trying to get from Point A to Point B without any trouble. Most are just looking to make it to the nearest town or even Tucson. I have seen groups as large at 25 walking together across the hills in Greaterville.

I recommend groups of 2-3, sidearm and 2-way radios for communcation. Oh, don't forget a container for the nuggets! :lol:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Thanks for all the responses, especially so quick.

I always carry when I'm out prospecting. "Never leave home without it." I'm heading out there alone, so would welcome some company. I'll prolly have a set or radios. Thanks for the heads-up on the black rattlers. I use 1st shot as rat/snake shot also.

Rob, I'm gonna have 4 5-gallon buckets. Ya think that'll be enough to carry all the nuggets I'm gonna find?? :D

Thanks, ya'll.

Kajun

If the rattle snake didnt bite you by the time you "draw quick" , then you would have had the time to just step back and continue hunting....No?

Who knows????Sounds like you need to practice your quick draw. But there are alot of things to think about. How close is the snake? Where is your hunting buddy? How many bandidos are there? Hopefully you never need to unholster your firearm but I am of the mindset and training that when you do it's time to use it. If my gun is coming out it's going BANG - quick. The "quick draw" is not an old western trick, I'm not a cop, I'm not trying to "talk" a bad guy down at gunpoint.

By the time I have assessed the situation and made a clear decision to go to my gun I am doing that with full intent to eliminate a threat to my life or a loved ones. At that time fractions of a second matter. I can draw and fire ACCURATELY pretty fast but am a full 2-3 seconds slower coming out of concealment then open carry. That's a lot when a guy has a knife on you, when shots are firing or when a cold snake you stepped on is pissed.

Also understand that if someone is bit by a snake you would be well advised to take the dead snake into the hospital so they can use the correct antivenom, or have a nice picture of the snake.....

Luck favors the prepared and every responsible gun owner should practice drawing and firing as fast as possible. IMO

If the rattle snake didnt bite you by the time you "draw quick" , then you would have had the time to just step back and continue hunting....No?

There are no shortages of rattlers where we go so if its an area we spend a lot of time in with the dogs or kids, all rattlers we find die. Your point is well taken though and to kill a snake just because you are scared of snakes is pretty immature and if found where we will rarely go again we leave them alone. Rattlers in town need to be removed one way or another. Plenty of cats to do the minor mouse control they do.

As a rule I'm down in Greaterville at least three days a week over the last seven years. I have run into countless numbers of illegals but so far nothing bad has happened.I think you will be just fine, just keep your eyes open.To day I'm swinging a 4500 in Culpepper, VA digging Civil War Relics. So far the 4500 is doing its job. After a week of 10 hour days and a week to go, this old body is starting to hurt. Happy hunting guys.

Thanks everyone for ya'lls input.

Trip is on! :D Truck is packed, Sweetie's gettin' new tires and alignment on it today for me (a whole nother story, but if your tires are more than 2 years old, they may be unreplaceable! Also, tire prices goin' up 15-30% in the next couple of months according to one of the dealers I talked to). Hopin' to head out about 4PM, spend 1 nite on the road, get motel in Benson, AZ lined up for next 3 nights and prospect in the Greaterville area for several days.

Wish me luck!!

Kajun

Archived