Its Offical...

K.. I am going to be purchasing a Gold Bug Pro.. Just the machine cause thats all I could save up for.. I REALLY want a 5000 but hey.. Recession.. Ok... I was wondering what you guys would suggest I eventually will need as upgrades and if you knew any site that had any deals? I went looking and alot of the places thats selling them is making me nervous.. <_< Soo any suggestions would be awsome..

Thanks Boys and ladies..

Ugs.. ^_^

Btw... Do you think it would be a good idea to join the G.P.A.A.?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K.. I am going to be purchasing a Gold Bug Pro.. Just the machine cause thats all I could save up for.. I REALLY want a 5000 but hey.. Recession.. Ok... I was wondering what you guys would suggest I eventually will need as upgrades and if you knew any site that had any deals? I went looking and alot of the places thats selling them is making me nervous.. <_<Soo any suggestions would be awsome..

Thanks Boys and ladies..

Ugs.. ^_^

Btw... Do you think it would be a good idea to join the G.P.A.A.?

OR, just right before the blue box Minelab SD-2100 v2 was discontinued it was selling for $1,198 brand new. So a used second-hand green or blue box one should go for just a little bit more or about the same price as a new Gold Bug Pro.

Also for used second-hand coils get a CoilTek Joey 5.5x9.5" DD or Mono, round CoilTek 14" Elite Pro DD, CoilTek 11x17" Pro DD, CoilTek 10x17" UFO and/or 12x24" UFO Mono.

• Admin

Hey UgBomb,

I would also take the recommendations for some others and search for a used SD2100. You can find them from time to time on the forums, Ebay and Craigslist for a price range of $800 - $1000. The Goldbug Pro is good, but light years away from a PI's performance.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Hey UGBomber, If you are wanting a unit that will go deep and get larger gold then I would listen to the guys above, wait that extra time a get a used unit. They are around.

For all others concerning the GBPro: I know many professional hunters ( people that make real money detecting for gold, and yes their are some.) that have got rid of their GBII's and gone to the GBPro. I can use both side by side and the Pro will continue to function very smooth in all conditions that the GBII will fail. Northern Nevada has reopened its doors for the GBPro. I personally know many guys that are going over areas hit with the GBII's over the years and doing very well with the GBPro in the same patches. I run my GBPro here in Northern California over solid serpentine bedrock which has shut the GBII down in the past. I also run my GBPro over in Northern Nevada over basalt fields that have shut many operators down that were using the GBII's. I know a guy that is beachhunting in solid gold bearing black sand near Gold Beach and is able to get very small pickers with the GBPro. I know several guys using them on the beach at Nome tracing black sand lines.There are many guys using the GBPro drywashing in Southern California tracing the black sand deposits. I could go on and on but many of you should open your eyes to something new. I remember when minelab first came out , people were very leery for almost a year or longer. This GBPro is a good machine. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Ray, no.

I do not know what your agenda is. I do not care. The Gold Bug Pro is not as good as a Gold Bug 2 for prospecting. Period, end of story. You like the unit. I get that, but you are spreading mis-information. I have both, I've been doing this 40 years, and the Gold Bug 2 is the better unit. I am one if those guys that make money doing this that you refer to. You disagree, meet me where you want and I will prove it. The Gold Bug Pro is a good unit in it's own right and in some areas does beat the Gold Bug 2. But since I do have to make money doing this what I cannot in my wildest dreams think of is not owning a Gold Bug 2. The machine is in a class of it's own. It can find gold $5700 detectors miss. I know it and people who know their stuff here know it. Stop trying to tell me otherwise. You are doing a disservice by promoting a less capable unit as being superior.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

Steve, I have no agenda. It seems that only a few select people have all the knowledge and nobody else counts. My head is not that big. It seems that I must be stepping on toes and really upsetting a crucial balance here. So with that being said I will leave the forum and let the real professionals do their job. I leave knowing that I have received hundreds of e-mails from people you think are nobodies and some of your real close somebodies that disagree with you totally about the GBPro. Sign me out Rob, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

1323940474' post='61202']

Steve, I have no agenda. It seems that only a few select people have all the knowledge and nobody else counts. My head is not that big. It seems that I must be stepping on toes and really upsetting a crucial balance here. So with that being said I will leave the forum and let the real professionals do their job. I leave knowing that I have received hundreds of e-mails from people you think are nobodies and some of your real close somebodies that disagree with you totally about the GBPro. Sign me out Rob, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Seriously Ray, you are just going to run away? I know my facts and I am willing to back them. Bring forth the real close somebodies who disagree with me. I actually care enough about the people reading this forum and others to offer up my many years of experience for free as a successful prospector. I am very passionate (thanks JP) about what I do. People I think are nobodies? Nobody that ever inquires of me about detecting is a nobody. I will talk for hours with anyone that has the least interest in what I consider to be a gift, the passion of using a metal detector in any way it can be used. You are right about one thing... I and others here are professionals. And as such it is incumbent on me to provide the best information possible to people who want to learn. I therefore cannot tolerate misinformation. For me to not speak up would be unprofessional. If there is anyone with any standing in the field who disagrees with me refer them to me. Surely I do not frighten them into being unable to express themselves.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

Not playing favorites here, but judging from Ray's past posts I think he has been doing this quite a long time as well. Maybe not detecting as long (but I could definitely be wrong). He has been posting some nice gold lately using the GB Pro, I would assume it is not as sensitive as the Gold Bug II, but maybe the Pro has an edge up in the noise department in certain hot ground. However, having said all that, those are only my 'Monday morning quarterback' impressions based on detector frequencies and the age of technology in each unit, I own neither.

1323945112' post='61204']

Not playing favorites here, but judging from Ray's past posts I think he has been doing this quite a long time as well. Maybe not detecting as long (but I could definitely be wrong). He has been posting some nice gold lately using the GB Pro, I would assume it is not as sensitive as the Gold Bug II, but maybe the Pro has an edge up in the noise department in certain hot ground. However, having said all that, those are only my 'Monday morning quarterback' impressions based on detector frequencies and the age of technology in each unit, I own neither.

This is not a popularity contest. Don't facts matter?

Rex, you know your stuff and I respect you and assure you I know of what I speak. I have used the two units in Alaska and Australia and observed the use of my Gold Bug 2 versus my friends Gold Bug Pro in California. I had one of the first Gold Bug 2s and one of the first GoldBug Pros. I still have both in my arsenal. I mean no disrespect of Ray but his post about how Gold Bug 2 owners are dropping it in favor of the Gold Bug Pro was just too much. Age of technology be darned, but nobody, even Fisher themselves after a couple tries, has been able to make a better small gold detector than the Gold Bug 2. Only the White's Goldmasters in good hands come close. The Gold Bug Pro does have uses, which is why I still have mine. It has bang for the buck. But when it comes to cash in my pocket you are not taking my GB2.

The GB Pro is not as good as the GB2 in hot ground, nor does it handle hot rocks as well. The Gold Bug 2 costs more and people pay it. Think about it.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

Well every body that believes in the right to a civil discussion please stand up...dang there aren't many...Come on guys, just because you are chanllenged to prove something is no reason to quit...

I would not contest Ray and his GB Pro on his turf...and I would never want to go head to head with Steve anywhere...

well actually I would love to go nugget hunting with either but only to suck their knowledge right out of their solid gold brains...

which would make me a better nugget hunter

happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all

ho, ho, ho

fred

1323895176' post='61191']

Very good report trinityau(Ray), are the Gold Bug Pro and the Technetics G2 identical and excactly the same metal detector under different names??

How about the Fisher F75/Technetics T2, and also the new Garrett AT Gold?

The Gold Bug Pro and G2 are versions of the same detector outfitted with different coil and rod options. Same parent company, First Texas. Think GM and Chevy.

The F75 and T2 are variants. They do have operational differences. The Garrett AT Gold is entirely a different unit by a different company.

Interestingly I have a Fisher F75 Special Edition and Gold Bug Pro. When I outfitted both with the same 11" DD coil the F75 in all metal boost mode got better depth in my test bed than the Gold Bug Pro on a quarter ounce nugget. I have therefore relied on the F75 for my last two summers visits to Ganes Creek. I am heading to Ganes again next year and will be taking the GPX 5000, F75 SE, and for backup the Gold Bug Pro. I do plan to test the F75 SE and GB Pro head to head again when I arrive to see if in mild ground the GB Pro has the advantage on large nuggets and iron id versus the F75. I was surprised by my test bed results but that was a high mineralization situation where the F75s lower frequency and Boost Mode may have won the day. The F75 costs twice as much so you would hope you get something for the money and for me at least the unit has been a money maker.

I have found pounds of gold with the Gold Bug 2 at Ganes but where the machine does fall short is on large gold. In a mild ground, large gold, iron infested environment like Ganes the mid-frequency units shine. My last trip to Ganes what I mostly saw were MXTs, X-Terra 705s, and F75s. I have yet to see a Gold Bug Pro at Ganes so mine next summer may be the first.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

Trinityuu - I for one would hate to see you leave the forum. I like to read your posts, see the gold you find and hear the stories. Thanks for all your posts and input. Merry Christmas.

The GB Pro is a good detector and its suitable for coin and jewelry shooting as well as nugget hunting, but specifically for prospecting there is no question that overall, the GB2 is clearly the better choice. There are spots and certain nuggets where the GB Pro will do better, but overall in a full wide variety of environments, the GB2 is the preferred choice for prospecting. I've used the GB Pro quite a bit and while I have found gold with it, my conclusion at the end of this summer using both the GB Pro and GB2 was that I needed to buy a GB2 - which I did.

I've had guys who asked me about which they should buy.

If you want one detector that you can use in parks and schools coin shooting as well as nugget shooting, the GB Pro is a fine choice.

If what you are looking for is a VLF detector for prospecting only, there is no question that the GB2 is the better choice.

I'd agree with Steve that folks who dump their GB2 for a GB Pro are making a mistake. The GB Pro is not an upgrade for purposes of prospecting. Its a different class of detector designed to compete more with the likes of the MXT, Tesoro Lobo, T2, F75, AT Gold, XTerra 705, etc. (not that its the same as all these but its in the same general design class). These are all detectors with medium htz that are designed to do well at a wide variety of tasks including both coin and jewelry shooting, as well as nugget detecting.

There is no need for anyone to leave the forum. Ray is welcome to his opinions, just as some of us are welcome to disagree with some of his opinions.

Wow, some real passion about metal detectors and hardly a mention of Minelab.

During our recent Australian Adventure I had the opportunity of trying both the GB II and the PRO in all sorts of ground types, more so I got to see in action an expert with both these detectors and I can honestly say based also on my own personal experiences that the GB II won hands down when it came to chasing sub gram gold.

What surprised me was the amazingly lower levels of ground noise created by the higher freq machine, one would have thought the PRO would have won that round, but not so!

As Chris And Steve have both stated, the GB II is the superiour gold unit especially in highly mineralised ground if gold is ALL you seek, the PRO represents a nice compromise if you want to dabble in other areas as well as chase some gold, if it was me I would have both.

JP

Thanks, really good spirited discussion here that gets the truths out which is an eye opener!

Any reports on how the newly released Garrett AT Gold works in the field for finding small gold while prospecting, also for handling iron mineralization and hot rocks??

(It looks to have a fine resolution iron trash discrimination as well, to use in that Ganes Creek area that Steve is talking about.)

Ray, I apologize for coming on strong - it is my nature on things I really care about. You leaving the forum would be a loss and if that occurs then I apologize to the other forum members.

I do think the Gold Bug Pro is a great little unit, and it certainly can find some very small stuff. You are obviously quite expert with it.

Oh yeah, AT Gold. Have one, and at 18 kHz it is so close to Gold Bug Pro performance it is hard to see a difference.

Steve Herschbach

Steve's Mining Journal

Yo Ray...I, too, would really hate to see you back out of any forum...I've got 35 plus years of prospecting under my belt and I still learn something from you just about every week ... I have no experience with the GBPro, but I've used the GB2 since 1994 ... I own lots of gold specific detectors, Whites, Fishers, Minelabs, and, on smaller gold, the GB2 is the only one that I can tell from the sound, reliably, whether I have gold or lead or rusty iron under the coil ...

Cheers, Unc

Hi JP,

Please convince some people to deconstruct the Gold Bug 2 and make a Gold Bug 3. Fisher has so far has declined to make what I want. Give me a Gold Bug 2 that can downshift to about 15 kHz. I want one machine that can give me high freq and mid freq by flipping a switch or changing a coil. The Eureka is supposed to be that unit but it is not doing it for me. The X-Terras try, but they do not come close to GB2 performance. I need a Gold Bug 3.

G'day Steve, I think the Eureka Gold already has that potential however it is in a huge monstrosity of a control box and the coils available do not lend themselves well to GBII like signal response.

I would love to have a multi freq XTerra with say a 60Khz and 15khz option with also the option of both DD coils for noisy areas but also Concentric coils for less mineralised areas. Even a small Concentric coil for the Eureka would be nice if iit was made available, maybe a chat with Coiltek for the XTerra might be on the cards, a 10" elliptical Concentric would be pretty good even at 18Khz :-)

JP

1324071159' post='61237']

G'day Steve, I think the Eureka Gold already has that potential however it is in a huge monstrosity of a control box and the coils available do not lend themselves well to GBII like signal response.

I would love to have a multi freq XTerra with say a 60Khz and 15khz option with also the option of both DD coils for noisy areas but also Concentric coils for less mineralised areas. Even a small Concentric coil for the Eureka would be nice if iit was made available, maybe a chat with Coiltek for the XTerra might be on the cards, a 10" elliptical Concentric would be pretty good even at 18Khz :-)

JP

A little coil for the Eureka identical to the 4 x 6 GB coil and specifically tuned for 60 kHz would be great. But the control box is so 1970. A hot X-Terra is the better solution.

Detector companies bug me. I can spec out a perfect detector I know I would buy so I know others would buy, and I know the technology exists. My perfect VLF gold machine would be similar to the White's DFX. Dual frequency with the ability to run both at once or either only. Usually that means a harmonic like 15 kHz and 60 kHz but I am going to get greedy and ask for 15 kHz and 90 kHz. Run both together or either one separately. The unit should also have a DFX like ability to notch out not only any target types but also multiple ground types. I want to be able to notch out the ground and also notch out a certain hot rock. In other words, more than one ground balance setting.

Who is going to do it first so I can buy it? And sell a bunch also. Sorry Steve, we don't ask our users what they want. We just make stuff and tell people they want it. Why listen to people who have bought by themselves more detectors than a small town and who will continue to buy them until they die.

The most impressive dealer meeting I ever attended was a Honda Power Equipment meeting. It was full of engineers asking "what do you want? What do your customers want?" Why is it so few companies get that?

Steve H. & Ray Mills,

I just returned from a short vacation. Catching up on the forums. First Ray, no one has contributed so much to this forum as of late as you do. With your walk threw step by step adventures, please continue.

As users with each of your GB2 and GBPro detectors. Besides luck, gold area of prospecting, often user interface with your detector is paramount in being successful at your game.

A question, not owning a GB2 or GBPro can your detectors detect a small piece of gold 1/3 the size of a rice grain 6" down. Also, can you detect a small nugget 7" down under a hot rock while discriminating and eliminating out that hot rock. While in the discrimination mode. Thus displaying and reading just non-ferrous gold. I recently returned my Fisher Goldstrike detector with 6.5" coil this year back to Fisher for repairs. Felix the supervisor there mentioned that this Goldstrike was an experimental detector seeking a new direction and that it was unique. The above is what I detected. Turning down volume and decreasing threshold still gives superb, quieter results (user interface) while in discrimination mode. Would appreciate your feedback from the comparative depths and results with your machines. Thanks, Jim

Archived