Keeping cool in the desert

Wanted to share some things I changed in my garb for when I go detecting in the summer.

I was able to stay a lot cooler this weekend than previous outings.

First off, I got some tan cotton cargo pants and cut them off below the knees (thrift store). That way you get some ventilation.

Next, leave your zipper open!. Hey were not out there to impress the girls:)

I also ditched the baseball cap. They just seem to hold too much heat in. I bought a cheap straw hat that fits down over my headset.

Put terry cloth on the inside of my snake gators so they would chaffe my delicate bare legs.

Found a white thin shirt at the thrift store also.

Seemed to keep cooler.....

Anyone got any other ideas????

Tom H.

http://www.amazon.co...V9QBTCJ7WM337GS

I bought one of these little gizmo's last year.

They make one with a collar that you can put up,

I was too much in a hurry when I found this reference and didn't notice it didn't have the collar.

They are cheap.

Not too bulky.

Last quite awhile.

You have to experiment with them to find out how wet to make them for your use.

They work.

The straw hat is a good tip

also DOC sells a weird looking kind of Lawrence of Arabia hat

with flaps on the back and sides that works great too.

Use speakers if you can instead of headphones.

Water water water water water yourself

31 bucks...not bad Flak, I'm curious as to how long it works. Frank that coulda been a disaster trying to explain a swollen gland after a day out prospecting, I can see it now..."is that a burro pick, in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me" :o

Bucket, as you might imagine, it works longer if it's not 102 out.

But if it super hot out, it's easy to refresh, just pour a little water over it.

I also wear my pack over it so it also provides a kind of cushioning effect

on the shoulders and the pack helps slow the evaporation.

It takes a little bit of getting used to, but you know, if we're not adaptable,

we shouldn't be wandering around out in the heat unsupervised anyway, right?

Adam:

Heck, thats been going on since the 80s when I used to dredge.

Gold does funny things to people. They go nuts over a small nugget.

If you look at it honestly....you would have to find about 20 lbs to make a nice nest egg.

None of us are going to retire on what we find. :)

Just go out and have fun!

Tom H.

Ok enough hijacking this thread with jokes, Here is some file photo's of my summer rig showing what I use to stay cool.

Its a hydra-pack or Camelbak. its the same as used by the military. the center portion is a back-pack canteen bag.

They hold about 2-3 liters and I like to fill mine with ice cubes and cold water.

When their up aganst your back they really help keep you cool. Hose feed over your shoulder with a replacible bladder. They come in a bunch of different models with or without pockets.

It does not come with the belt, or my cheesy camo job, That's part of my custom hip mount rig. but they do come in a nice desert camo. AzNuggetBob

post-1452-0-09489700-1339750186_thumb.jp post-1452-0-48179700-1339750202_thumb.jp

Let me go get a screen grab so you can see what they look like without all the mods.

post-1452-0-59285000-1339756442_thumb.jp

Ok enough hijacking this thread with jokes, Here is some file photo's of my summer rig showing what I use to stay cool.

Its a hydra-pack or Camelbak. its the same as used by the military. the center portion is a back-pack canteen bag.

They hold about 2-3 liters and I like to fill mine with ice cubes and cold water.

When their up aganst your back they really help keep you cool. Hose feed over your shoulder with a replacible bladder. They come in a bunch of different models with or without pockets.

It does not come with the belt, or my cheesy camo job, That's part of my custom hip mount rig. but they do come in a nice desert camo. AzNuggetBob

post-1452-0-09489700-1339750186_thumb.jp post-1452-0-48179700-1339750202_thumb.jp

Let me go get a screen grab so you can see what they look like without all the mods.

post-1452-0-59285000-1339756442_thumb.jp

Bob:

Thanks!

Thats a really good idea. Will start looking for one.

I usually freeze my canteen before going out. But, I always seem to drink it all and have to come back.

That would give me a lot more water! :)

Tom H.

Hello Tom H.

I used to freeze my canteens too but I hated having them on my waist. allways seem to get in the way.

As you can see you can incorperate these and they do have a shoulder hook for a bungi if your swinging a Minelab GP-SD etc.

This subject came up awhile back, I could not find the old thread.

But as I recall Grubstake said he used to freeze his. maybe he will jump back in here and tell us how he does it.

Now I'm sure it would last alot longer frozen. Mine with ice cubes and cold water stays cold for about 5-6 hours depending on how hot it is outside.

These are the best thing Ive seen to beat the heat and comfortably carry more water.

Rob may even have these for sale.

AzNuggetBob

I fill mine with half, water, half Gatoraid, freeze it overnight, and take it out first thing in the morning, I hold 100 OZ'S and it lasts all day. Grubstake

Tks Grubby.............thats a really good idea.

Get the ol electrolites back in the body and keep cool with the frozen stuff on the back.

TKS!!

Tom H..

For my Brazil Adventures, I found a really cool ice tray made special for those hydration packs. It made rods of ice about just a bit smaller than the big opening. Six tubes of ice lasted all morning, we quit detecting what it started getting over 105, usually by 1100 hrs. Evap stuff did not work down there because of the high humidity. Icy cold water and a cool back were a real luxury!