Digging a nice gold nugget in Arizona, part 1 & 2

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is a two part video where my partner and I located a good target on the side of a bank. When we first located the target, it was just a faint whisper on the Minelab GPX 5000. After almost 30 minutes of careful digging, we were able to extract the target from the bank.

My partner was using the GPX 5000, Special/Extra timing, Goldscreamer Power Pack and Coiltek Lightweight 14-inch elliptical Mono Searchcoil.

PART 1 -

PART 2 -

Hope you enjoyed the two part series. If you have any questions or comments, please post them back here.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The nugget was right at 1.75 ounces in weight. The piece cleaned up very well and is still in my collection. Bigger nuggets are getting much harder to find, so anything over an ounce is a trophy to me.

Glad you all enjoyed.

Rob Allison

• 2 weeks later...

Great video Rob

Digging them out of cemented gravels like that always makes me nervous. the nugget always seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. :) That nugget looks like it has great character even dirty. I'll bet it was a real beauty cleaned up.

Nice one Rob

That 5000 has been good to you, It's got me thinking about upgrading. with the price of gold what it is these days It would probably pay for itself just rehunting some old patches.

AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Bob,

Yes, digging nuggets out of the cemented type gravel can be a real pain. Some nuggets have taken me over an hour to dig out, hoping I didn't dig into them. I purchased a special pick years ago that has a long pick point and does great digging these type of nuggets out easier. I still haven't cleaned that nugget, so not sure exactly what character it has. I have to agree, looking at it dirty, it does show signs of a nice looking gold nugget.

The Minelab GPX 5000 has been very good to me. I think it has been a toss up between the GP Extreme and GPX 5000 as far as the best detectors for me.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison