A great Aussie Legend - In The Bush With Malcolm Douglas

Malcolm Douglas, he was a very good bushman and an Australian wildlife documentary film maker. Malcolm started in the 1960s as a professional crocodile hunter, but later dedicated himself to their preservation.

His "In the bush" series are a great watch.

Hope you all enjoy, and for more of this series head over to Youtube :)

Part 3 of ep 1 shows the only remaining gold battery in Australia ran by a woman at Paynes Find WA.

Pete B)

Here is a direct link to that issue of the show where Malcom visits an operating "battery" - what we here in the US would call a stamp mill. There used to be thousands of these in the US, but I dont know of a single one here in the US that is in operating condition as this one in the show.

I actually drove past Payne's Find when I was in Western Australia last summer.

Chris, there's an operating stamp mill at Sawyers Bar, CA, on the Salmon River ... It's run by the McBroom family ... They've had a goin' concern there for many years ... I once got the hairbrained idea to collect their tailings, sort of like quartz dust, to package and sell as sand blasting sand ... After a lot of shoveling and a lot of pickup truck loads I took over the mountain and back to my ranch, I discovered that my idea was absolutely stupid ... But I had fun, got excersize and got to watch the stamp (a four-stamp as I recall) operate ... Another time, in the same area, my mining partner and I and a couple other guys dismantled a 4 stamp mill and drug the stamp about half mile down a very, very steep mountain ... After all the work, I sort of lost interest in it and I don't know where it ended up .. Cheers, Unc