Who is going to the Mesa GPPA Gold Show?

• Admin

Hey Jim,

I won't be setting up for the second time this year. To be honest, the GPAA has jacked the prices up so high for vendors, it's not worth it anymore for me personally. Also, the attendance has been much smaller, dispite what the GPAA or others have to say. If I'm bored I might run down there for a day, but I think I'm leaning on swinging the detector more.

For all the vendors that are settings up, hope you all do well.

Rob Allison

Wow, that's two local vendors not going. And I think I know of a third, too.

Personally, I believe it should be later in the year because the snow birds aren't back, yet.

I'll be there working the show with GPAP.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price range for vendors (w/o giving actual if you don't want to)

• Admin

Hey Glenn,

Ya, a couple of guys that normally set up there have told me they are not doing this show. I normally would get a corner booth and like 3 booths down the aisle. This was normally 5-6 tables, which was a pretty good spread. It used to be around $700 for this set up, but the last couple of years the prices jumped several hundred.

I'm hoping the show does have a good show of vendors for all the people that do attend.

Rob Allison

Robbie, sorry to hear that you won't make it. True, pofitiability is a huge factor. As you know, I only get a corner booth, and, fortunately for me, the revenue from sales of "Advanced Nuggetshooting" "ususally" pay for the Shows, at least those on the west coast. If you do make it to the Show be sure to drop by my booth. HH Jim

Went to the show today---seems to me that the few "regulars" are setting up larger displays, and less of the smaller vendors--probab;y because of costs per blocks of space........The Gold Lady had what seems like a much larger sales area-or I am forgetful---And prices are up---No suprise there-----worth three hours just to dream-------

Dutch

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Made a run down to the GPAA Gold Show in Mesa this afternoon. Well, right when I walked to the front door I knew the crowd was way down. Less vendors and hardly anyone walking around. Talking to a few vendors, they said only 84 people walked through the door at opening. I probably only seen about 50 people walking around this afternoon vs. hundreds years ago.

I personally think they ran the show too early in the year, most of the snowbirds are not even here. I'm sure the Feb. 2013 show will be much better.

I did get to talk with Jim, Travis and a few other vendors for awhile and seen a bunch prospecting friends/customers.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey, Rob. I saw ya walking around, but didn't get to say Hi.

Saturday had ok traffic at about half the normal amount and Sunday was dead. Allowed for a lot more one on one time, and as a chapter that was good. But the vendors weren't doing nearly as well. Certainly some great deals to be had, though. I did hear that the Butte, MT, show was worse (not sure how) and the Denver show was gang busters.

I flat-out asked a couple folks what they paid for booth space. There were a few last-minute additions. One paid around 100, another paid 250...

Booths got at the last minute were cheap cheap cheap. They needed to fill holes like a trashy field and a crappy detectorist.

Jim, It was good getting to talk with you and your lovely wife and I'm glad you two enjoyed Charleston's.

From what I heard after tear down, they are doing the following next March (Jim, this is a correction to what we discussed):

The normal March show at Mesa Convention Center.

The weekend after that, there will be a 'vendors by invite only' show in Quartzsite. This invite is to ensure only one major-brand vendor of each at the show. E.g. one ML dealer, one White's, one... you get the picture.

I had heard earlier they were going to do the Quartzsite show to be just before the gem and mineral show out there (which would be not long from now) next year. But I over heard a convo a certain GPAA show manager had with one dealer last evening about two contracts coming at them where he explained what the two were for.

Since several local dealers sell ML, White's, Tesoro, and even blue bowls it makes me wonder who will be invited. Just not sure they're not going to really tick off the local vendors, and some members, by doing this.

They booked way too many shows this year, but once you've reserved and paid for the auditorium you cant back out. I've heard they will greatly reduce the number of shows next year and skip some of the places where they did poorly in attendance. They had some very good shows in 2012, but some real duds as well. First year for many of the folks running the shows, so I am sure they will learn. The February 2012 Mesa show went well and was well attended. Sorry I missed seeing you all, but I'll be there next year.

GPAA Show schedule for 2013: Pomona CA Jan 12/13; Mesa AZ Feb 9/10; Quartzsite AZ Feb 16/17; Modesto CA Mar 23/24; Salem OR Mar 29/30; Puyallup WA Apr. 6/7; Albuquerque NM Apr 13/14; Las Vegas NV April 27/28. The only Fall show on the west coast will be in Reno NV on Aug. 17/18.