How to Identifiy old-time Handstacking, part 1

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is a short video basically explaining old-timer handstacking (placer workings) and how to ID it in the field. Normally these are great places to prospect and metal detect around. Many times handstacking is stacked on virgin ground.

Hope you enjoyed.

Rob Allison

Excellent video Rob!
Lots of good info....that I had not thought about.

Tks

Tom H.

Another good video, Rob ... One other point about hunting those benches is that the old timers quite often would just shovel out the overburden in order to get to the richer bedrock fast ...Quite often, they would shovel out nuggets in the course of doing it ... I have found nuggets high on the benches up to more than an ounce ... Sometimes the shoveler would get real enthusiastic and sling the material 10 or more feet up ... I always beep the benches, especially in washes that are somewhat wide ... Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

Very good point. There is always potential for good finds in the overburden, although the richest (normally) is at or near bedrock. That being said, any overburden or cobbles could potential have values. One nice thing about a metal detector, you can scan a lot of ground quickly for nuggets or specimens.

I don't encourage tearing down handstack walls (part of history), but I have found some nice finds in and below them.

Thanks for your comments.

Rob Allison