Mineral jig video

Thought i'd share a link to a video of my homebuilt mineral jig in action. This vid include the rotary auto-feeder I built last winter.

Jim

Hi Jim. Thanks for sharing the video. I have no knowledge about how this jig should work, other than seing them in videos. So I have a question. If you classified the material and remove all the gravel, would the pulsing be strong enough to force the light weight material out leaving just the heavies?

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim. Thanks for sharing the video. I have no knowledge about how this jig should work, other than seing them in videos. So I have a question. If you classified the material and remove all the gravel, would the pulsing be strong enough to force the light weight material out leaving just the heavies?

Bill

That's what it does, Bill. It concentrates the material by specific gravity. For gems, I wash the material and classify to 2 sizes...+#8 to -#4, and +#4 to -#2. The gems end up on the screen....the rest goes out. When I'm done with a run I dump what's left in the screen box into a smaller screen and pick out the gems. The material on top of the screen is called ragging. For gems I just use self-ragging, which means the ordinary gravel is the ragging. For gold you can use steel shot. The advantage of steel is it only lets material as heavy as steel, or heavier, go thru the ragging. Once you have the cons, you can use lead shot....that tends to eliminate even the black sand. Jigs are extremely versatile, and can be adjusted to about whatever you want. They excel at recovering flour gold, though I haven't used mine for that.

I'm working on a new model, now. Should get it done this week. It's made from 4" ABS pipe, and will be light enough to backpack. It will have a little less capacity/hour than my cuirrent unit. I plan on building and selling them. Will also offer plans and kits, at some point.

Jim