New coming from Minelab

Codan, owners of Minelab, had their annual shareholders meeting Oct 23, and presented 4 new detectors coming out during the next 2 years.

1. A new Minelab Flagship Gold Detector, using a new technology, (rectangular wave ??? ).

2. A new Minelab Mid Range Gold detector. (The 2400??)

3. A new Minelab dual sensor detector for the military, where ground penetrating radar is used with the detector.

4. A new Minelab low cost detector.

Also there are new patents. Its a little vague, and could cover a wide range of things, but seems to focus on optical times for sending data, wireless??? Don't know.

Also rectangular wave patents??

Here is a link to the shareholders meeting notes:

http://www.aspecthun...df/01456336.pdf

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I heard they were working on a new type of next gen gold machine. Sheesh, the SD 2000 was a big jump in bucks though when it came out as the next gen. Like 4X the price of what it superseded! Here's hoping the next big thing isn't a jump like that huh!

Here is a link to the rectangular wave patent I found thru google. : http://www.google.co.../WO2007070927A1

That's an old patent from 2006. I believe it relates to what ML advertises as MPS - where multiple waves of different timings are used to better handle the bad ground and find smaller gold. Its not new. I was reading it and thought - this sounds like MPS - then I read the application date: 2006

For more info, take a look at this page, and scroll down to the section on MPS.

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/knowledge-base/minelab-technologies

Laurentiu Stamatescu, Minelabs Physicist, works side by side with Bruce Candy, they can both file for patents, or through Minelab. There have been several patents filed for the 2013 year. The Square wave technology has been around for a while like Chris has said, but they are improving on it. Seems when they file these patents its vague, and leaves open a lot of room, I am sure they just want to get their name on it as soon as possible, then improve on it later.

The patent I refer to for Square wave introduction in the latest Gold detector is US patent 20130154649, Transmit signal of a metal detector, published 6-20-13. There are some more patents produced before and after that. Until the proof is out, these are just guesses :unsure:. It also seems Minelab has patents published after a new detector has been introduced, so with that evidence, I am not sure what the new technology will be.

JP sure has been pulling some nice gold in old patches.... ;):P

Dave.

The patent that intrigues me is:

http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013131133A1?cl=en

A way to detect smaller, weaker targets.

Seems like it would detect smaller targets, it seems to be detecting eddy currents of shorter time constants. Reversing coil current, instead of stopping coil current after a coil charge interval, the current is reversed, storing the current in the coil?? Continous square wave??? :unsure:

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The new technology is interesting to hear about, but it will be more exciting to see what it does in the real world of metal detecting. Personally, I'm not too much interested in finding smaller targets, but maybe slightly weaker targets (more depth). However, not sure I want to dig deeper on iron rubbish, which can be cans, horse shoes and such at 2-3 foot in depth. I'm not sure I want to dig down 3.5 to 4 foot.

I would love to see better mineral immunity and most importantly, a much better iron discriminator on the bigger PI's. I was told it can't be done on PI technology, but was told it could be better on "different technology or technologies." :o

Rob Allison

Rob _

"I would love to see better mineral immunity and most importantly, a much better iron discriminator on the bigger PI's. I was told it can't be done on PI technology, but was told it could be better on "different technology or technologies."

My guess is that Rob may be on to something...this is what I would prefer also. Better performance in high mineralized area and better discriminator to hit the real trashy areas. I am sure whatever Minelab comes out with, it will be a change for the better, a slight edge is worth it's weight in gold.

What started all came from a rumor that Minelab them self started by putting a ad in Lost Treasure. The words that the fire storm was New coming from Minelab. One person ask for a copy of the ad so another has seen the ad other than me. If he says a word who knows.

What I've seen on White's and Garrett when they have a new detector no smoke before hand. You look in a mag. and there it is with a picture of it.

The old saying fits this and that is, Bird in Hand is Better Than Two in Bush. For me Garrett ATX is it for my money. I can't walk out the door to nugget hunt I find it hard to put out that much money on the 5000.

Chuck

Hi Kyle

I understand what your saying about price from one to another detector. I don't like buying any used detector, car and anything else that's used. I like the word warranty that goes with a new detector. If I go out with a used GPX5000 in the field I wouldn't know if anything was wrong with it. It's just more to know about a 5000. Then I'd have to go pay for training on it are making a guess if I'm doing everything right.

I can see you like your 5000 and who knows I may buy the next GPX. When I look in my crystal ball I see a new one coming and this is no rumor. It has never been wrong yet. Ha Ha

Have a good one Kyle.

Chuck

I also seen the ad. Thanks Chuck. I am excited about a new ML coming out and to me it sounds as compact as the new Garrett with the features of a GPX. There was no picture just info- "The first, real compact mid-range gold detector is coming........

Waterproof, compact, rugged, no assembly, easy to use (switch on and go),

Finds small gold, proven MPS technology.

To me it sounds like the ATX with MPS technology.

Can't wait to see the reviews and compare them with other

detectors of the same class.

Bill

Well said Bill.

I too am looking forward to what Minelab has to offer in the same if not better than Garrett. Being I don't have stock in any detector company I say what is best for me. Don't get me wrong what I see in the ATX has lots going for it. I just don't see any reason to buy now when it will be awhile before I get to hunt with it. So I can sit back let those that I trust their review like so many we have on these forums. I then can go buy what I think that will work best for me and the price I want to pay. Long ago in my early days coin hunting you didn't have reviews like now. Then in the 60's you could hunt all year and never see another coin hunter. The neat thing was all you found was silver.

Kyle all I can say is I'm not going there.

Chuck

Flak you hit the nail on the head in learning your detector. A detector is no better than the man behind it if he hasn't taken the time to learn what he's got.

Kyle

The 3500 was a great detector and I'm sure the 4000 is but the 5000 just has to be better than all others from the past. I'd think it has a larger learning curve. I think a guy who don't get training just shot himself in the foot. Now it could be you have a friend that has one and you can pickup points from him. You also can hunt on this forum and get some of the best settings to start with.

Kyle don't call me cheap even if I am. There is another name you could call me but now I've got to look it up. Frugal is the word that fits me best. Ha Ha

Chuck

Kyle it takes a lot more than what you said to make me mad. If you do I'll email you direct to let you know the honeymoon is over. Ha Ha I try to be a friend to all . Old saying live and let live. The best people I've meet looked like a junk yard dog and was prospectors in Alaska. They would do anything for you to help without any return.

Take Care and get out there and find some gold!

Chuck

PS If AZ. would get a lot of rain just maybe it wash some down Texas way. You think??

Hi Folks,

It seems that Minelab with each detector iteration are moving more and more towards detecting the smallest possible bits of gold. Proven by the recent patent for detecting short-time-constant targets.

One of the reasons I moved from VLF to PI was to get away from digging pesky lead birdshot that litters so much of the goldfield areas.

I still run a 45k and often dig itsy bitsy 1 grain crumbs, while I very rarely dig any birdshot even though they are larger than a 1 or 2 grain bit of gold.

To me the 45k is one hell of a machine and one reason I didn't up rev to the 5k was I didn't want to go back to digging birdshot pellets.

I just hope heaps that a timing will be included in the new range of detectors for longer time-constant targets as well as the supposed shorter.

Even though the amount of smaller gold outnumbers large bits and many of the larger bits are long gone, there are still many large nuggets just sitting out of range of present detectors, and where we can't use a bulldozer to scim off the surface, we need a modified timing such as SHARP to get at any of them.

They expect that the customer who buys a machine just wants to find gold, gold of any size, and since generally only smaller stuff is now easily within reach they are optimising the machines to do so.

Greater power is required to excite long-time-constant targets, but with the latest battery technologies reaching ever increasing capacity to weight ratios, more power is at hand, this is now possible.

I sure hope the professional series will address this.

Cheers

Kev.

Hi Folks,

It seems that Minelab with each detector iteration are moving more and more towards detecting the smallest possible bits of gold. Proven by the recent patent for detecting short-time-constant targets.

One of the reasons I moved from VLF to PI was to get away from digging pesky lead birdshot that litters so much of the goldfield areas.

I still run a 45k and often dig itsy bitsy 1 grain crumbs, while I very rarely dig any birdshot even though they are larger than a 1 or 2 grain bit of gold.

To me the 45k is one hell of a machine and one reason I didn't up rev to the 5k was I didn't want to go back to digging birdshot pellets.

I just hope heaps that a timing will be included in the new range of detectors for longer time-constant targets as well as the supposed shorter.

Even though the amount of smaller gold outnumbers large bits and many of the larger bits are long gone, there are still many large nuggets just sitting out of range of present detectors, and where we can't use a bulldozer to scim off the surface, we need a modified timing such as SHARP to get at any of them.

They expect that the customer who buys a machine just wants to find gold, gold of any size, and since generally only smaller stuff is now easily within reach they are optimising the machines to do so.

Greater power is required to excite long-time-constant targets, but with the latest battery technologies reaching ever increasing capacity to weight ratios, more power is at hand, this is now possible.

I sure hope the professional series will address this.

Cheers

Kev.

Wow, do I ever agree!

Proven by the recent patent for detecting short-time-constant targets.

Right, but there is also a line in that patent that discusses the fact that the problem they are dealing with is the voltage spike that results when one shuts off the power in a coil (like the ones at the end of our detectors). The patent states that the method used to deal with the voltage spike has previously been to have a coil with low induction (this minimizes the voltage spike). If they can deal with the voltage spike by other means (specified in the patent), then they could, in theory have coils with a larger induction. The amount of excitation magnetic field energy going into the ground is proportional to the induction of the coil and the voltage going through it. Increasing the induction of the coil would pump more energy into the ground, theoretically allowing deeper penetration on larger targets. So although I have not the slightest amount of info on the design of the new flagship detector, this patent does have potential for not just smaller targets, but deeper penetration on all targets by putting out more energy into the ground.

That said, Minelab has put out a little announcement on their new mid range detector today. Its worth taking a look at because stuff is happening:

http://www.minelab.com/emea/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=203460

Thanks for the link Chris...

That's interesting..... seems like they got beat to the punch, but are trying to get back in the game for midrange....

I love it when a company is basically asking you to hold on and dont buy until you see their model..... I notice they also use a marketing technique as old as the hills, "fear of loss".. they say, "Why gamble?"......

It is heating up,, and i love it!!!!

Competition is grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pk