Garrett ATX vs Gold Bug 2 Meteorite test

I think it is a great detector Rick. Most chondrites at Franconia and Gold Basin are on or close to the surface, so the ATX should find em. Really like the ability to find large nuggets at depth, just in case I ever get lucky enough to walk over one! It is a bit heavy, I took the sling attachment and attached it to my backpack instead, works much better not having the strap behind the neck.

It is almost too quiet though! I wore tennis shoes this time instead of my boots that have metal in em, the ATX just purrs. You are right, there is not much for junk targets out there and most hot rocks do not sound off, so not much time is spent digging up false targets. I only dug one target, a 45 caliber bullet several inches down, man did it scream! I think the ATX is going to be great for finding those irons at Franconia. Most of the irons are in that extremely hot ground so with the GB2 I was having to dig a lot of false targets. And I think there may be a few larger irons down deep that the ATX will pull out that the GB2 could not reach.

Thanks for the invite Friday, my wife is home and made other plans for us so I cant make it this time, but maybe next....jim

Hey Jim, I would really like to watch this video, however, when I click on the link it takes me to MY video manager page on YouTube with MY uploaded videos. Can you please tell me the title of the video so I can look it up that way? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

Hey Jim,

Great video showing them both. The Goldbug 2 has been a long time favorite for small gold nuggets, specimens in mine dumps and finding meteorites that have very small amounts of iron left. I personally own a GB2 and take it along with my GPX 5000 just in case I find an area I want to use it in.

The ATX is a great detector for the price and what you get. That being said, I'm not putting down my GPX 5000 for a ATX by any means. No question the GPX 5000 gets much more depth on larger nuggets.

Thanks for sharing.