Chinese diggins artifacts

I had an opportunity to detect my friends property back in 2010 that happens to have had an old Chinese miners camp on it. In a few days I located this dagger/dirk and what appears to be an opium spoon..or scrapper that probably fell from a silver chain that was around his neck. The spoon has a opium poppy plant etched into it and appears to be in perfect condition. the dagger had mother of pearl handles, unfortunately the blade broke off and was found not far from the handle. I am not much into relics anymore...as it's been replaced with nugget-hunting...but still cool finds.

post-65703-0-30964100-1404168466_thumb.j

post-65703-0-43252000-1404168495_thumb.j

post-65703-0-18393700-1404168512_thumb.j

post-65703-0-04747100-1404168529_thumb.j

Thanks McGator, it's always nice to dig out some history and try to figure out what the item is. Every interesting item is a history lesson. What baffles me now is since I have devoted 99.9 % of my time nugget-hunting...and digging every target I have not found anything other than iron trash! You would think...digging thousands of targets something interesting would pop up a great relic or coin. anyways...good hunting and find some more of those Spanish coins....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks El, .....now a days I hunt gold primarily and if I happen to dig some trash and it turns up a nice relic is just the frosting on cake of nuggets ....the silver opium spoon is my favorite....not many of those around..so it was a thrill finding it under my wifes feet....she completely missed it with her detector... :)

I believe that your opium spoon was part of a Chinese chatelaine etui, which was a small/miniature set of everyday tools usually worn by women, in this case a Chinese woman.

Here's a photo of a silver Chinese chatelaine etui that has a tool similar to the one you found, notice the tools are hung by a little ring just like the one on your spoon.

bb699ec2e6989f894949fa4567790494.jpg

Most European and American women would have one similar to this one.

368.jpg

Man, those are some nice finds!
Guess they took thier opium seriously :)
Those have got to be worth something to a collector.

Cool finds.

Tom H.