Guess who is on the cover of the latest ICMJ magazine

His article is about finding gold in Alaska.

Now who of you whom are reading this post can name him? ....tailgate

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Yep, Steve is a great writing. I haven't read the article quite yet, but looking forward to it. I also heard Bill Southern had an article in it also, but haven't opened the damn cover to see all the contents. I'm sure they are both great reads.

I highly recommend the ICMJ, so call Sally and get your subscription in.

• Thanks 1

Rob.... I believe Bill's article is in another magazine with a similar "mining journal" title. For those

who know "Lunk" (Keith Semanko) and also "Smokey Baird" they have found a new patch with

the colorful name "the potato patch." I have hunted in the past with both Smokey and Keith. So

Lunk's article and especially the photos really mean a lot to me as I can visualize being with them

again as in the past... Smokey is the son of Jake Baird... and Jake was a true "mustanger"

and Smokey is a true westerner and equally at home in the saddle or out prospecting.

Incidently Rob; Smokey is on the cover of Volume 3 ~ 7th Edition, The Nuggetshooter's Bible and

also on pg. ii and Lunk is on pg. IV. More later as I don't want to be timed out. tailgate

Keith were you hunting with "neverquit" Bob Abdenschein (spelling)? If so I would like to

contact him... Hey Sandtrap will always remember the Big Easy and getting a flat tire.

My Best memories are hunting with you, smokey and "flatire' jerry.... jim

Lunk... Thanks for the PM... I lost contact with Neverquit Bob several years ago as my computer was in the den

and I was then seroiusly limited to my wheel chair and I could not negociate to it.

However Bob sent me a nice earthstone Mug from Austrailia and also a copy of his historical fiction book

"T". As you know Gloria passed away a couple of years ago and I recently remarried a widow, Penny,

and she started to read "T" and could not stop until she read it... The mug sits safely on a shelf in the living

room and over the years as Hye McCall passed away and was always in contact with Neverquit and he (hye)

would call me regarding Neverquit.

Again "young fella" your latest ICMJ article is great and I truly you for your friendship over the years... tailgate

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed the article; perhaps I should write them more often than once a decade or so! I've also valued your freindship and knowledge over the years. I remember just starting out in metal detecting back in 1996 and planninig my first prospecting adventure to the desert southwest; without the guidance of your book, "The Magnificent Quest" I wouldn't have had the success I enjoyed that year. All my adventures in the ensuing years have indeed been a magnificent quest, and more valuable than any of the gold found has been the forging of lasting friendships like yours. Thanks for everything, Tailgate Straight!

Keith you did it.... I was just a pitstop on your way to being a well known legend.

Take care of Smokey and Neverquit and make sure they are eating their Pablum. :unsure::):P

HAH... Well I liked Geritol, but I no longer can find it on the shelf at Stater's market...

Well Tom I did not know that... no wonder I was always dizzy and slurred my words when I talked; but boy oh

boy I sure felt good after my third bottle... Yep another goody serutan ... natures spelled backwards.

• 2 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 7:32 PM, Lunk said:

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed the article; perhaps I should write them more often than once a decade or so!

Was this in ICMJ? Which issue, I'd love to read it.

Thanks

Jen

I have no idea when the last time Kieth wrote an article for us - nothing recent, not even as recent as Steve's cover. We used to have an authors feature on the website that listed all the articles for the last decade or so by author, but apparently that disappeared when we updated the website the last time a year or so ago.

So I double checked and - sure enough, Kieth does have an article in the January 2015 issue, my mistake.

Its a short article about finding a patch out in the Pershing Co. - Rye Patch area. He finds a big nugget about 1 ounce in the patch.

And sadly, Smokey Baird, Kieth's friend mentioned in the article, has since passed away.

Edited by Reno Chris