GPZ7000 Saw it in person

I guess I should have read your write up before I asked lol. seems like if its as gd as both in one then it would be worth the price for serious detectorists. the time it takes to go over a area with a 5000, switch a few coils and then go back with an sdc 2300 or gb 2 to clean up the place would make up the difference in cost by saving time and trouble. interesting they made an all in one unit to out do their top two gold combo this quick. well, I myself love the hunt and time out. hate to just completely clean out every spot I go in one visit lol. ill have a reason to go another day for gold I missed lol.

john

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the 7000 a better unit alone than the combination of a 5000 and sdc 2300 together??

I would say yes. On the really tiniest stuff, saying less than a few grains or about half a gram the STC will do as good or better. On the really tiny stuff like less than a grain, the SDC will win. However on stuff half a gram or so and bigger, the GPZ will outdo either of them for depth. the SDC is not a big gold at maximum depth type of machine. the GPZ will outperform the 5000 on really big old at depth, but to be honest my experience is that with solid, medium-size gold say two to 10 pennyweight, in milder soils, the GPC will outperform but not in a huge way. The more mineralized the soils are, the more pronounced the out performance. It also hugely outperforms the 5000 on mossy, wiry, porous or prickly types of gold - like the pieces I mentioned in my write up on treasure talk.

And as you said in your second post, you cannot swing both the 5000 and the 2300 at the same time with one on each arm. by the time someone goes over an area with the 5000 using a couple different coils and with the SDC, I will of covered a lot of ground and explored a lot more area in the same time with the GPZ 7000.

Chris and Steve, Thanks for the reviews on the GPZ on Minelabs Treasure Talk... I enjoyed reading them!

Just wondering why the coil on the GPZ in Steve's pictures looks like the old Coiltek orange?

Are the US coils the same as the Aussie coils?

Will Minelab offer a mono coil sometime down the road, besides the 11" and 14' and 20" DD's?

Or is the GPZ set up for the new super DD only?

Thanks!

Chris and Steve, Thanks for the reviews on the GPZ on Minelabs Treasure Talk... I enjoyed reading them!

Just wondering why the coil on the GPZ in Steve's pictures looks like the old Coiltek orange?

Its a pre- mass production unit, so is slightly different colors from the production units.

Are the US coils the same as the Aussie coils?

Yep.

Will Minelab offer a mono coil sometime down the road, besides the 11" and 14' and 20" DD's?

Or is the GPZ set up for the new super DD only?

Its not a DD like any DD you have ever used. They are calling it a DOD. The unusual DOD 3 coil design (look at the introductory video as Bruce Candy has one opened up that he shows off) is an inherent part of the technology I believe. The windings are wildly different from any coil I have ever seen before.

I want to try to explain this new technology, as I understand it, because I find it fascinating.

So as we all know, up until now we have had two different kinds of metal detection technologies available to us.

VLF machines which give High duration of energy, but the energy is low. In other words the energy and field produced is on all the time, but the strength of that energy field is very low. And of course the detector is looking for eddy currents produced when that energy hits metallic objects.

Then we have pulse induction, LOW duration of energy (pulses on and off) and HIGH strength of energy in the field it produces. Of course with Pulse induction, the energy is pulsed into the ground, then it turns off and the detector measures the "decay rate" or how fast that energy dissipates. It's doing this pulse on and pulse off in rapid succession. When there is a piece of gold in the ground that metal grabs that energy and the decay rate changes dramatically and a signal is produced by the metal detector.

But what if we could just leave that HIGH ENERGY ON all the time. So you would have HIGH ENERGY, and HIGH DURATION of the energy? We know that the longer the pulse is on with the GPX5000 the deeper the penetration. That is what soil timings are all about. You are fiddling with the timings of the pulse to try to get optimum performance.

So as soon as I heard from one of the head techs that the GPZ7000 does not pulse, the energy is on constantly, just like a VLF, but produces a HIGH ENERGY FIELD like a pulse induction, I asked. "So what are we measuring? It's not an eddy current. How can it be a Decay rate, because there has to be a starting event, PULSE ON, and an ending event (PULSE OFF) to measure decay rate? You must have a given set of time with which to measure how quickly the energy goes away.

I was surprised when he said, "We are still measuring decay rate with the GPZ7000." He explained, as does Bruce Candy in his video, that instead of having a pulse that starts and stops to generate a beginning and ending event, they leave the energy on, and reverse the poles of the magnetic field.

Reversing the poles of the magnetic field, causes the energy of the field to reverse direction. So that reversal of the poles and direction of the energy is what causes the start and ending events that allow them to measure decay rate, without ever having to turn off the energy. With constant energy, the deeper that field of energy can go. That's why the GPZ7000 is boasting a 40% increase in depth. The starting event is the magnetic pole or field being North and the energy is running in one direction, then the magnetic field is reversed to South, which ends the North magnetic event, and starts the South magnetic event. And back and forth it goes.

I think this is genius. So you have VLF, which is HIGH duration of Low Energy, --- Pulse Induction, which is Low duration of High Energy, and now, what they are calling ZERO VOLTAGE TRANMISSION which is High duration of High Energy. (For my simple mind I call it continuous induction.)

I'm probably the only one that finds this interesting, but it truly is a distinctly different innovation that Minlab has developed.

BCOT!

Doc

I'm probably the only one that finds this interesting

Oh, I am very interested, and hope for more info eventually - perhaps a white paper or something. A VLF reverses energy fields in the same manner as you describe. The voltage follows a sine wave pattern in many VLFs, but some put out a square wave as displayed by Bruce on the oscilloscope behind him in the video. Doc, so far what you are describing is just a VLF with a bigger voltage - more energy. But there has to be much more to it than that. I've not been told any of this, now so I am just speculating - the coil arrangement as shown by Bruce Candy on the video is quite unique. The central O portion of the DOD coil is Litz wire with a number of windings at least similar to other coils I have seen opened. However the two receive coils on either side are of very fine gauge solid wire with a huge number of loops in the winding - far, far more than anything I have ever seen in a metal detector. Those many loop windings would be very sensitive to changes in magnetic fields. That's why I am speculating that the coil design is a special and essential part of the design of this detector. On the other hand, I still don't get why it is called "Zero Voltage Transmission". Hopefully we will get a better idea in time.

Doc, I'm interested to. If I'm getting this right, one technology measures phase sampling methods of (sign wave) on VLF detectors in a constant energy field, and PI detectors are using timing samples of pulse energy wave on decaying target eddies as timing samples in a field. One uses phase sampling method, the other uses timing sampling method.

The new GPZ-7000 detector is actually using a combination of both sampling (technology) methods, except instead of a pulse energy transmit, the swapping of a polarity field is being used. Decay rates on targets are still being used as it was in the case of the PI's, except the polarity shifting of constant high energy field is being used thereby measuring time lapse decays on target ID's recieved? That being the case would also explain the need for a new coil antenna design.

Mark

Can either of you say if the coil windings (on the inside, obviously) are potted (sealed in that epoxy stuff), I think that is "potted",

All I can tell you about the inside of the coil is what is visible in the introductory video where Bruce Candy shows off the coil. In that video it appears not to be solidified in epoxy, but I cannot say for sure that the coil on display is exactly the same as the ones on the detector. I have not ripped open any coils to check and see.

Greg that is a very valid and important question about whether or not the coils are potted.

Hopefully perhaps someone will be able to tell us about how the coil windings are secured.

I found the explanation of how the 7000 works fascinating and very informative

thank you for taking the time DOC.

Here is a question. I was in the service but got out in the sixty's.

Does that count for being able to get a vet's discount?

Thanks everyone…

The GPZ14 coil has a very clever mechanical design to prevent movement in the winding's, it is one of the quietest coils I have ever used for touch/rub and bump sensitivity. Unfortunately to get the design to work well comes at a cost in weight so the coil is on the heavy side, but ZVT absolutely requires this type of precision of design to work properly.

JP

Great job explaining Doc... Do you do marriage counseling???

Doc , try explaining the best way to tell your wife you just spent $10,000 on a metal detector.

ROFL, that is a technology that no one has invented as of yet.

Oh, I am very interested, and hope for more info eventually - perhaps a white paper or something. A VLF reverses energy fields in the same manner as you describe. The voltage follows a sine wave pattern in many VLFs, but some put out a square wave as displayed by Bruce on the oscilloscope behind him in the video. Doc, so far what you are describing is just a VLF with a bigger voltage - more energy. But there has to be much more to it than that. I've not been told any of this, now so I am just speculating - the coil arrangement as shown by Bruce Candy on the video is quite unique. The central O portion of the DOD coil is Litz wire with a number of windings at least similar to other coils I have seen opened. However the two receive coils on either side are of very fine gauge solid wire with a huge number of loops in the winding - far, far more than anything I have ever seen in a metal detector. Those many loop windings would be very sensitive to changes in magnetic fields. That's why I am speculating that the coil design is a special and essential part of the design of this detector. On the other hand, I still don't get why it is called "Zero Voltage Transmission". Hopefully we will get a better idea in time.

Somewhat tongue in cheek I asked at the conference, "If this is Zero Voltage Transmission" why do we need a battery." My fellow dealers laughed, the Minelab techs and execs rolled their eyes.

I am speculating as to whethter the coil design is important to the magnetic field switching. The coil in the middle is the transmit, and the two outside windings are the receive.

Here is a fun fact, there is 6060 feet of coil windings in this new coil. Hard to believe, but true.

Crazy!

The reason I was interested in the technology is because of the 40% increase in depth. I wanted to understand what made this technology produce that kind of depth. When it was explained, I could see how it conceivably go deeper.

For those of you that have been around Minelab for a while you know that claims of a depth advantage over previous models has always been something that Minelab has avoided making claims about. When Dual Voltage Technology came out they told us that we would now find smaller gold that we had been missing, and they were right. The SDC2300 claim was that you would find small gold you had missed and they were right. So Minelab is always very careful that they can back up their claims. So when they claimed a 40% depth advantage, I knew they had the technology and validation to back it up, so I was excited to know how they pulled off this gigantic technological achievement.

I mean claiming you go 40% deeper without some plausible explanation of the technology that is behind it, is like VOODOO.

Doc

• Admin

Hello All,

Something else I wanted to add, there will be a 11-inch and 20-inch available at some point. Trying to get solid info on when the searchcoils and accessories will be available. I also heard rumors (just rumors) that Coiltek Manufacturing in Australia could be working on some other searchcoils for this unit.